Sponsored by:

Corteco motor mounts for 993-First review

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:24 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Corteco motor mounts for 993-First review

I had asked about corteco mounts in this thread :https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...for-993-a.html

They hadn't been tried or reviewed yet.These are made by the original equipment manufacturer and only $91 ea and direct bolt in.
These had been used with success in the 964 cars. I got these from pelican and they are very reasonably priced when compared to factory c2 mounts. These of course are c4 mounts and are supposed to be slightly stiffer. I did not want to go with rs or wevo due to the need to reinforce the carrier and the loss of passenger comfort (depending on which review you read) since my wife and kids ride in the car. I had used wevo, sport and solid mounts in my prior 911s and knew that wasn't my direction on this car.

Photos posted show the comparison of the new c4 corteco and the old factory c2 mounts. Another shot shows both oem next to each other and one had collapsed internally allowing it to stretch. The replacement mount housing is thicker and sturdy appearing. The spacer for the c2 bolts topside is not reused.

Old and new

Both old with one blown and stretched out.

Wobble extension used to get to one of the driv side bolts on the factory mount

New installed 30 ftlbs top Bolts and 62 ftlbs bottom

I must say these do feel slightly more firm but after 30 seconds I couldn't notice any more. Surely very minor between c4 and c2 mounts.

Also I detached the latch cable and moved the guide tube slightly to wiggle out the driver side mount. I recommend you test the latch is functioning before you shut the engine lid.

Hope this helps someone decide if you weren't sure

Good luck

Last edited by hkspwrsche; 03-25-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:28 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I must say my RS mounts have not resulted in any loss of passenger comfort.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:42 PM
mstolo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the post. Looking at changing mine out. Looks like a reasonable alternative.

With RS mounts, do you need to do reinforcement? I was thinking about going that direction, but don't have any desire to do any reinforcing.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:36 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Your Corteco mounts at $91.50 from Pelican appear look a lot like my 'Porsche' mounts at $150.73 from Sunset. Difference in manufacturing date and '08' versus '09'. Mine went into my C4S.
Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2013, 12:04 AM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by BesideTheBox
Your Corteco mounts at $91.50 from Pelican appear look a lot like my 'Porsche' mounts at $150.73 from Sunset. Difference in manufacturing date and '08' versus '09'. Mine went into my C4S.
Good point but yours came in a nice Porsche box and my box just said corteco!
Old 03-26-2013, 12:55 AM
element
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

some say that RS Mounts + track\hard driving would require the reinforcement.. I haven't and no issues so far.. not sure what it will be like to break a engine carrier and might be something on my project list.

phil.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:05 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by element
not sure what it will be like to break a engine carrier
Not really high on the list of things you want to find out. Worse can happen, however.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:49 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mstolo
Thanks for the post. Looking at changing mine out. Looks like a reasonable alternative.

With RS mounts, do you need to do reinforcement? I was thinking about going that direction, but don't have any desire to do any reinforcing.
I didn't.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:55 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I must say my RS mounts have not resulted in any loss of passenger comfort.
Same here, and helped reduce the motor movement nicely. There was also a subtle but noticeable improvement in handling.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:27 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

From the picture it looks like the Corteco one's are a bit shorter between the top mounting surface and the square on the rod. If you don't use a spacer, your engine should sit about an inch or so higher then before.
I purchased turbo mounts for my C2 and I had to install a spacer to make it all fit right.
Just an observation. I might be wrong I just know the difference between the turbo mounts and stock C2's. There's a difference on those as well. The turbo mounts are much firmer and they can't leak!
Ed
Old 03-26-2013, 09:19 AM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

The spacer is normally on the topside of the mount but the c4mount is much thicker casting and makes up the difference of the c2 stamped steel. Hopefully you can see in the photos. Any one that goes from c2 to c4 mounts can probably chime in here. It doesn't space the mount but just the bolt.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:25 AM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EckFe1
From the picture it looks like the Corteco one's are a bit shorter between the top mounting surface and the square on the rod. If you don't use a spacer, your engine should sit about an inch or so higher then before.
I purchased turbo mounts for my C2 and I had to install a spacer to make it all fit right.
Just an observation. I might be wrong I just know the difference between the turbo mounts and stock C2's. There's a difference on those as well. The turbo mounts are much firmer and they can't leak!
Ed
Also the photo of old and new show the blown stretched out c2 mount next to the new c4 mount. The exhaust tip on the driver side that was not blown did not move at all.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:17 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by hkspwrsche
These are made by the original equipment manufacturer and only $91 ea and direct bolt in...I did not want to go with rs or wevo due to the need to reinforce the carrier and the loss of passenger comfort (depending on which review you read) since my wife and kids ride in the car. I had used wevo, sport and solid mounts in my prior 911s and knew that wasn't my direction on this car.
Corteco is the aftermarket marketing division of Freudenberg who is the OE supplier to PAG. They sell two versions of each motor mount, the more expensive is the hydraulic version that is exactly like what our cars were delivered with from the factory and the cheaper ($91) version are solid rubber. Which is exactly like the RS and Wevo mounts! The durometer is not exactly the same but you are basically buying the same thing.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:35 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mstolo
Originally Posted by gonzilla
I didn't.
+1. Something like 4 years, lots of AX, a few track days, semi-daily driving on the car since. I figure I'll do the reinforcing whenever I end up dropping the engine....the welds on the carrier aren't really that sturdy looking, so it seems like a good idea, but not worth dropping the effort just for that.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:09 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Corteco is the aftermarket marketing division of Freudenberg who is the OE supplier to PAG. They sell two versions of each motor mount, the more expensive is the hydraulic version that is exactly like what our cars were delivered with from the factory and the cheaper ($91) version are solid rubber. Which is exactly like the RS and Wevo mounts! The durometer is not exactly the same but you are basically buying the same thing.
That is simply wrong. The pics of the Cortecos show they are not really anywhere the same as the RS mounts.

Quick Reply: Corteco motor mounts for 993-First review