Sponsored by:

Tips for installing KW V3s?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 04:18 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
Are your spring-perches within the range specified by KW? When I installed the V3s, I couldn't get greater than RS ride height and stay within the KW ranges; when I called KW they said "Stay in the recommended ranges or you may top/bottom out. This can kill the damper, and we can tell it was the mechanism of damage if you send them in. This type of damage is not covered by the warrantee."
Yeah, I'm still within their range. I think I set it to about 70 mm and their range is 50-80mm. That said, it's undergoing a full alignment/corner balance from a well respected race shop today.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:23 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HalV
What's concerning is that I'm having trouble setting the camber on the front right wheel. I can't set it any more positive than about -2 degrees. RS specs call for -1 degree +/- 1'. Any ideas what might be wrong? For reference, the other wheels are about -1.39 degrees.
It turns out that there is enough adjustment in the bottom strut bolt to cause this type of behavior. My solution was to loosen both strut bolts and lift up the bottom of the hub toward positive camber as much as possible. Then tighten the bottom bolt and fine tune the camber adjustment with the top adjuster bolt.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:43 AM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Just for completeness, here is the set up that that I ended up with. I'll create a DIY thread in the next couple weeks with some install pics.

Thanks again to everyone that responded to all my questions.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:48 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

All this time I thought you were trying to adjust the camber at the bottom of the strut. For those of us that do not have camber plates, that is the camber adjustment. I was only able to squeeze -1.8 out of my Bilstein HD and H&R spring setup. I was aiming for -2.0.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:05 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

You're right, I was doing it at the bottom of the struts (no camber plates on my vehicle either). I was referring to the top bolt versus bottom bolt where the strut attaches to the carrier. The top bolt on the KWs has an offset washer attached to the head of the bolt for camber adjustment. I'll post some pics tonight. I was trying to adjust the camber by barely loosening the bottom bolt and then turning the top bolt. However, if I loosen the bottom bolt completely, there is enough "slop" to dramatically affect the camber as well.

So the process that worked for me was to loosen both bolts completely. Then pull up on the hub toward positive camber, then tighten the bottom bolt and fine tune the setting with the top bolt.

I'm not sure what the max setting of negative camber is with these struts, but I'm sure I could get over -2.5.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:15 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Attached are the pics showing the bolt (red arrow) with the offset integrated washer. The nut side has a washer with the same offset. The bolt is slotted to keep them in sync. The bottom bolt discuss above is shown with the green arrow.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Tips for installing KW V3s?