Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

widebody conversion opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013 | 08:11 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Default widebody conversion opinions

I know that modified cars can be tricky and appeal to a smaller fraction of the population, but I came across this one and I like it. The cliff notes are: car started life as a Wimbledon Green Targa. After a few ownerships, someone with more money than brains ended up doing the widebody conversion. Then, a forum member had it for 12 years an sold it for financial reasons to the current owner. Current owner has only put ~400 miles on it in the past year, so he decided to put it up for sale. The car was done right, it is not a hack job and it runs strong. However, there are no pictures of the build nor a lot of maintenance documentation prior to about 10-12 years ago.

The price is a little high for a non original vehicle, but replicating something like this would cost even more, and it is very clean. On the other hand, it doesn't seem out of line considering the asking price for some 964s lately. I know it is my money and my decision, but what value range would you put on something like this?

Last edited by LPMM; 06-25-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-25-2013 | 09:43 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Seems cheap enough to me at circa £20k. Looks great as well. If the car is straight, with a clean title but partial history, the history void is why it is $30k and not $40k. My major concern would be over the quality of the conversion underneath, so having the car body professionally inspected would probably be he best way to avoid any nasty surprises.
Old 06-25-2013 | 10:11 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Seems cheap enough to me at circa £20k. Looks great as well. If the car is straight, with a clean title but partial history, the history void is why it is $30k and not $40k. My major concern would be over the quality of the conversion underneath, so having the car body professionally inspected would probably be he best way to avoid any nasty surprises.
Thank you very much for your input. I talked to the prior owner who owned it for 12 years and received a lot of good information regarding the vehicle, and the current owner is a straight shooter who has been very forthcoming with everything. I was told that the conversion was done by cutting the skin from door to door and replacing the entire rear with a turbo one, as opposed to butt welding flares on, and that the front fenders are turbo metal fenders. This was confirmed today by a local shop (did some research here) who specializes in air cooled who gave me a very good report by mentioning that it is straight and runs very strong, no evidence of any damage.

Last edited by LPMM; 06-25-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-25-2013 | 10:13 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

It would be cooler if it was still a Targa.
Old 06-25-2013 | 10:17 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vandit
It would be cooler if it was still a Targa.
I actually agree, got parts?
Old 06-25-2013 | 11:14 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

I little de-blinging and that could be a great looking 964

Quick Reply: widebody conversion opinions