964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So It Begins

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013 | 11:39 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Yup, I was gonna mention Singer in regard to their barrier hose routing.
Old 08-21-2013 | 07:49 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Congrats Paul. Been reading you're whole post. Very jealous (in a nice way) of your lovely engine!

Need some You Tube footage please!
Thanks Stan, we'll try to shoot some with the GoPro this weekend.

Yum!
Very gracious of you Frank, BTW the Monte Carlo is fitted You're right about the exhaust it booms a bit at 2.5k, I need to fix that, it's OK when you can power out of it but if you're going uphill on the motorway it's no fun. Nick says we'll fit resonance tips to sort it.

NICE!!
Thanks Superuser

Paul, Looking very nice, I understand Stan's comment, I want, I want, I want too!

By the way, I think your Distributor cap is dirty, can you make sure it's clean for the next photo!
Cheers Stuart, It was all very dusty. Sorted now though, been cleaning her tonight and Swiss-waxed ready for the off tomorrow. The distributor caps are new but I've decided in the interests of less is more I'm going to have a single 12 point racing distributor when she goes back in. Redtek do a nice one.

Great looking engine bay..

I'm sure you'll have a blast this weekend!!

We need videos asap
Thanks Jotaking, I'm on it this weekend

Paul,
In the quest to build my ultimate 964 (in my head for now), I've asked the same question. I think maybe an AC kit from a Turbo (routed around the engine because of the intercooler), or a custom kit with a couple simple bends would allow the lines to be routed around the engine.

I've asked this question a couple times in previous posts, here's a random assortment of pictures from those questions: (sorry in advance for cluttering up your thread)
911Jetta that's great thanks. We have been discussing that in the aforementioned subject "less is more" today and we're going to re-route with alloy pipe when she's back in around the right side and back.

I'm afraid I don't have time to put any photos up now, but maybe over the weekend. However you might be wondering what she sounds like. As I turned the key in the ignition for the first time the systems sprang into life with business like ticking and snuffling, something akin to an alpha wolf having it's ***** licked by a hungry grizzly, you knew something big was gonna happen but you're not sure how big, it can only be described as an ear piercing howl!

Driving, there is an docility in low gears pottering through the gears but the responsiveness of the throttle leaves you in no doubt what's lurking beneath. The sound is awesome until the the revs rise through 2.5k and the exhaust booms, it's ok when you can throttle out of it but it needs sorting.

As the revs rise through 3k the engine note hardens and settles beautifully and a smile appears which turns to a permagrin at about 3.5k but when you hit 4k you'll be like a demented banshee on crack. If you lift off, the engine crackles and pops more than a boxfull of Rice Crispies, it's really addictive.

Power on again an she takes off with a hard engine nose, the acceleration is phenomenal. On the way home I had several Porsches (ad others) pull up close then tag along to listen to the music, big thumbs up what can be wrong with that?

It's sooooo good.
Paul

Last edited by Paul284pt; 08-22-2013 at 03:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
9SIX4-C4 (09-30-2019)
Old 08-22-2013 | 12:15 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

I've gotta get me some of that!

All I've have to do is figure out how and when!
Old 09-01-2013 | 05:54 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi,

A few more photos of general stuff done while the engine was out.

The retro Heuer clock face done by Ed at www.porschedials.com

SRP racing pedals from www.srpracing.com and black sisal over-mats (front & rear) from www.cocomats.com I'm very please with both of these items. The pedals are very comfortable if that doesn't sound odd? The throttle pedal feels really good.

Most of you will already know that Cocomats were an official optional extra for Porsche and Mercedes back in the day. Cocomats sent me a template (to make sure of pattern for RHD) and they made them so accurately they fit better than the official Porsche ones. Also they have a spiked hard rubber backing and they do on move a millimetre, great quality with a hard poly/rubber heel pad. They'll probably last me out.

Exterior and interior drilled alloy door handles. The exteriors were done by Sam at Redtek and the interiors were a straight purchase from Rennline.

Carbon strut-brace acquired by Redtek.

The Heuer Monte-Carlo finally fitted.

Some random engine photos:

I've covered well over 600 miles with the new engine and I' pleased to say the only issue I've had is with the Fabspeed dual exhaust, the resonance between 2 - 3k revs is not acceptable and hopefully we'll sort it during the shakedown at 1500 miles. Don't get me wrong, it's a great looking piece of kit (with heat) and the sound through the rest of the rev range is symphonic especially from 3k upwards. The limiter is on 5 during the running in period after which we'll get her on the dyno and have the tech figures in writing\graph.

Meanwhile I'll try to put a video together soon.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 09-01-2013 | 11:47 PM
ShootingStar
Racer

Amazing looking filter setup and carbon fiber bits.
Old 09-01-2013 | 11:52 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

What's the sensor you've added to the oil breather?
Old 09-02-2013 | 03:29 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Thanks X2dcC

What's the sensor you've added to the oil breather?
Hi Vandit,

The thing at the back with Redtek on it? It's an oil catch tank.

I'm still getting my head around it myself ha.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 09-02-2013 | 04:53 AM
cuse92
Instructor

Just lost an hour of work catching up on this - a beautiful car and an amazing engine. Enjoy!
Old 09-02-2013 | 07:46 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Just lost an hour of work catching up on this - a beautiful car and an amazing engine. Enjoy!
Hi Ben

Ha! Thanks, I never tire of looking at your machine though!

Cheers,
Paul
Old 09-02-2013 | 10:25 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Awesome stuff
Old 09-02-2013 | 11:49 AM
jorijori
Instructor

Hi Paul, I love you interior, retro classy cool! So what ECU did you use with PMO carb or stock Motronic is compatible?
Old 09-02-2013 | 12:24 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Paul284pt

The thing at the back with Redtek on it? It's an oil catch tank.

I'm still getting my head around it myself ha.
This piece. Yours has some type of sensor.
Old 09-02-2013 | 01:38 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Looking great - was it easy to fit the SRPs? Just drill a couple holes on each pedal?
Old 09-02-2013 | 02:03 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Great thread, really enjoy watching someone doing what we would all like to do ourselves.
I had the Fabspeed exhaust on my car and ended up returning it for refund due to poor fitment and the dreaded resonance at cruising speeds. Fabspeed does insist that they have fixed that problem, but apparently not.
Please keep us posted on your progress with the muffler.

Old 09-02-2013 | 04:48 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Awesome stuff
Thanks Frank,

You're very generous considering you've already been there

I love you interior, retro classy cool! So what ECU did you use with PMO carb or stock Motronic is compatible?
Hi Jorijori,

Nice to hear from you again

I don't think you could use the stock Motronic ECU with PMO's, we used a Motec M84. There has been lots written on this topic on Rennlist especially by wizard Colin Belton of 9M.

This piece. Yours has some type of sensor.
Hi Vandit,

Ah sorry, that's the sensor on that piece is simply an engine temp thermosat. Nick reckons that's a good place to get an accurate reading for mapping, especially for hot starts.

Looking great - was it easy to fit the SRPs? Just drill a couple holes on each pedal?
Thanks Hiwind,

I wish I could say I fitted those but I didn't even do that

Not because I can't but because it was done in down time while we were waiting for parts. They were however very easy to fit, just a matter of lining up, mark then pilot holes, then drill and fit. I think there's more details on their website.

Great thread, really enjoy watching someone doing what we would all like to do ourselves.
I had the Fabspeed exhaust on my car and ended up returning it for refund due to poor fitment and the dreaded resonance at cruising speeds. Fabspeed does insist that they have fixed that problem, but apparently not.
Please keep us posted on your progress with the muffler.
Cheers CRG53,

I'm sorry to hear that I'm hoping it can be fixed because like you i can't live with it the way it is. I had a SS Dansk system (with G Cup) on previously 1 into 2 and that was very good. I love the look of the Fabspeed so fingers crossed. Will do.

Thanks for all your comments,
Paul

Quick Reply: So It Begins