964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drip, Drip - Go Away / BigMike's reseal thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013 | 07:13 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

I believe I have everything disassembled to the point that I'm going to pressure wash it the entire rear of the car and make it as spotless as possible. Then I'll dry it really well with my MetroBlaster and start replacing the gaskets.

I got a good look at the engine mounts and they don't look 22 years old. I don't have a lot of records for my car but I believe that they were replaced recently. I'll take a picture when I have the mount out of the car. If they check out fine, I'll reuse them.

Here are some pictures I snapped this evening.

I have all open connections covered with plastic and tie-wrapped. I used 1-1/2" PVC pipe and glued caps on, then tightened the hose clamps to keep water out of the cylinders.

This is the underside as it sits now.

The drips from the chain cases and further up is probably from the PS and/or oil pressure manifold (all those gaskets and seals getting replaced).

The new parts

Old 03-23-2013 | 01:42 PM
HiWind
Race Car

nice Mike - thanks for the pics and good idea re the pvc. Must say bay looks pretty clean already!
Any pics of the back around the oil sender etc..?

I don't see a new foam liner in your order - hope you rip that one you have out and loose it ...
Looks like you hav the orange dust there which results from the foam when its dries out/sheds.

I'm replacing mine next time I drop the engine although with the advent of new fabrics, a more modern
high density foam would make for a more 993 muted sound (if you prefer that) or even silent like a Rolls

Keep having fun .. and posting it!
Old 03-23-2013 | 04:52 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Yes, going to replace that nasty firewall liner. Not sure which one I'm going to get yet.

Here are some pictures of it after the pressure washing. I also took a couple of the motor mounts before washing which don't look 22 years old.

Old 03-23-2013 | 05:37 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Everything looks pretty good. Those mounts might be a bit sagging. Not sure. Maybe someone else w/ more experience w/ the OEM hydraulic mounts can chime in.
Old 03-24-2013 | 10:01 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

No engine movement when I lift the car from the rear. I'll find out later today or one night this week.
Old 03-24-2013 | 11:58 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Wow, Mike - very clean and shiny.

Sorry but those engine mounts are showing their age....

Marc
Old 03-24-2013 | 05:06 PM
cobias1
Racer

is there a relay or some way to check the cruise control unit? mines not working is why im asking. clean engine bay by the way...I am down right now due to some issues that I am gonna work on tomorrow after work tonight. I hope to get my engine bay half as clean on the sills. wtg and looking great Mike.
also, are the short oil tank lines (2) the same ID as the scavenger pump hose? I have to replace those myself.
Old 03-24-2013 | 08:19 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cobias1
is there a relay or some way to check the cruise control unit? mines not working is why im asking. clean engine bay by the way...I am down right now due to some issues that I am gonna work on tomorrow after work tonight. I hope to get my engine bay half as clean on the sills. wtg and looking great Mike.
also, are the short oil tank lines (2) the same ID as the scavenger pump hose? I have to replace those myself.
What doesn't wrk with your cruise control? The very first thing to check is the clutch switch under the floorboard. It is common that it sticks and deosn't allow the crusie to work. Mine didn't work when I first got the car and knew the issue. Had it fixed in 20 minutes. Just remove the floorboard and work the switch for a bit and it will loosen up.
Old 03-24-2013 | 08:27 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

BTW I got a spare cruise control black box, if you need it.
Old 03-25-2013 | 07:23 PM
cobias1
Racer

Thanks Mike, I tried that before from one of the posts that you did before and its still no go. I also looked under the fuse box cover in the boot and cant remember finding anything that was any type of relay for it but it was also a passing thing at the time. Babalouie, theres several ebay ones here in the states that are just under 50.00 usd so I was thinking about changing that out to see. Right now im in the middle of cleaning up ( not as good as Mike) after my J-pipe came loose the other day. last week my intake looked like mikes only with oil dripping out. Luckily I had a hot water tap put in outside the house. lesson from the teardown when I got the car. its a whole lot easier cleaning up all that excess oil from the pipe leakage. I think im still gonna have to burn alot out from the exhaust though. Gonna do my valves too while its down and the rest of the oils been drained. Should be good on that the rest of this year. Mike thanks also for posting pics, now im more confident that I did reinstall the vacuum lines in correct place because of your awesome photojournalism. Anyhow, hope to be up and killing skeeters by tomorrow afternoon.
Old 03-27-2013 | 03:11 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

I'm happy that my wife cancelled our out of town weekend plans. Now I can spend the weekend getting the lion's share of the work done on Grace. I'm off work the week of the 8th (advantages of working in IT for a school district) for Spring Break. I plan to have her back on the road by the latter park of that week.
Old 03-28-2013 | 03:27 PM
Alan 91 C2
Rennlist Member

I had my three flex oil lines repaired with new flex and couplings $300 for all.

5 of the 6 connections were leaking a lot. My oil cooler was nearly plugged on the air side from oil and dirt accumulation.

Last edited by Alan 91 C2; 06-18-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-28-2013 | 07:06 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Awesome find on the hose guy Alan, I'll be using him for my line. I'll be pulling mine off this weekend after getting all of the gaskets replaced. I'm going to drop my tins and other items off at Miller's Powder Coating. They do a lot of Harley work and are very reasonable.
Old 03-30-2013 | 07:44 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

I didn't get as much done today as I'd hoped.

The main thing that I got done was the power steering belt and the o-ring a seal in the ps mount.

I got the exhaust off of the right side but have one nut that I can't get off on the left. Thread about there here. You'd think that Porsche would have used longer barrel nuts. I was cussing them for an hour.

Tomorrow I'll get the chain cases done, then get that last nut off of the exhaust so that I can remove the left side.

This is what happened when I set my OCD brother-in-law loose with 00 Steel Wool and WD-40. I'm planning on doing as much as the engine case I can as well.

Old 03-30-2013 | 07:56 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Default I'll trade you brothers-in-law!

Nice work! Looking good....real good.

Quick Reply: Drip, Drip - Go Away / BigMike's reseal thread