964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drip, Drip - Go Away / BigMike's reseal thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013 | 03:05 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Wow, BigMike, those look great! I've been following your other thread and I must say that I'm getting a little nervous about tackling these jobs this summer.

BTW, any pics of the PS work?
Old 03-31-2013 | 04:35 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HalV
Wow, BigMike, those look great! I've been following your other thread and I must say that I'm getting a little nervous about tackling these jobs this summer.

BTW, any pics of the PS work?
sorry. no pics of the ps work. probably would have chucked thecamera across the garage.

A couple notes about the power steering though.
- there are four nuts that hold the pump on. the only way to get the two bottom ones of is to remove the bottom pulley and belt. use a 1/4" rachet with a deep 13mm socket from the top to get them on/off.
- the pulley pries off really easy. it's only held on about 1/4" once you get the bolt off
- you cannot get the ps pump mount off without taking the top valve cover off.
- great time to replace the oil hose under there.

When I had everything taken apart under there, I saw the starter. Holy Moly, could they have buried it any deeper in the car. Still not sure how it would come off.

I think I have an axle seal leaking on the left side. I was planning on replacing them both anyway later in the Spring.

Nothing has been too difficult, just have to have patience.
Old 04-03-2013 | 08:53 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

I updated the project spreadsheet. Looks like I'm going to come in around the budget I had for the project.

After this project is completed, the next item is the A/C leak which is most likely the evaporator.

Last edited by BigMikeATL; 04-05-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-03-2013 | 09:11 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Amazing how it all adds up...
Old 04-03-2013 | 09:40 AM
Racer

Those engine mounts are shot. Replace them with RS mounts, you will be happy.
Old 04-04-2013 | 09:42 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 540964
Those engine mounts are shot. Replace them with RS mounts, you will be happy.
How can you tell the mounts are shot? I'll have them out next week and check them, but when I jack up the car from the engine, the is really no movement of the engine at all and the chassis lifts in sync with the engine.

If they need to be replaced, I'm going with the Wevo Blues.
Old 04-04-2013 | 10:08 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Here's an example of a bad mount

Here are new ones (notice how the rubber is fully inside the metal can)

Here's a few threads discussing them
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...cabriolet.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ne-mounts.html
Old 04-04-2013 | 10:16 AM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Default engine mounts?

The engine and bracket actually hang from the mounts. When you jack the car up, it will move in sync. Old ones are fluid filled and once they "rupture" and lose their fluid, it will allow the engine to hang a bit lower and there will be more play and you might or might not notice some "notchiness" in the shifting. Look at new ones, the "RS" recommended ones are only slightly stiffer, excepting Wevos, which can be had in two different hardnesses with blue or black inserts. I have Wevos (blue) and my old mounts looked like yours but had oil residue . Did you clean..power wash yours? The rubber shoulder that you see protruding is what to most of us is the first indication they are shot. New ones will have that shoulder nearly flush with the casing. When I changed my motor mounts my transmission shifted much more smoothly, especially under load and again at lower speeds. Just food for thought.
Old 04-04-2013 | 10:44 AM
Alan 91 C2
Rennlist Member

Great Job Mike

You may want to check the small oil hose you have for the bottom of the tank to the thermostat. My 1991 C2 uses the S shaped hose, 964-207-241-06. I ordered the hoses from your list. Your list has the 964-207-241-04, which is a 45 degree angle hose.

Changing the 3 oil lines (filter to thermostat, and both thermostat to oil cooler) was not that bad a job. The tricky one is getting the oil tank back in place. When you get the new oil line, to filter, in place just muscle the tank into position. The small line from the tank to the body tube on the side is fairly easy to work into place. I actually expected the side oil line to be the problem, but the new hose is very flexible, and goes in easy.

I'm now working on my cam box oil leak, driver side. (I started a new thread on that one)

Big Mike, you and BabaLouie make these projects a lot easier with the photo journal. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2013 | 11:02 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Here's an example of a bad mount

Here are new ones (notice how the rubber is fully inside the metal can)

Here's a few threads discussing them
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...cabriolet.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ne-mounts.html
Originally Posted by turbotwoshoes
The engine and bracket actually hang from the mounts. When you jack the car up, it will move in sync. Old ones are fluid filled and once they "rupture" and lose their fluid, it will allow the engine to hang a bit lower and there will be more play and you might or might not notice some "notchiness" in the shifting. Look at new ones, the "RS" recommended ones are only slightly stiffer, excepting Wevos, which can be had in two different hardnesses with blue or black inserts. I have Wevos (blue) and my old mounts looked like yours but had oil residue . Did you clean..power wash yours? The rubber shoulder that you see protruding is what to most of us is the first indication they are shot. New ones will have that shoulder nearly flush with the casing. When I changed my motor mounts my transmission shifted much more smoothly, especially under load and again at lower speeds. Just food for thought.

Okay, got it. Looks like I'll be ordering the Wevos today. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2013 | 06:02 PM
Alan 91 C2
Rennlist Member

I ordered the RS mounts yesterday from Pelican. $370 plus bolts and washers. Was part of another $700 order on top of the $1000 last week for rebuilt oil lines at $300 plus another $700 of other seals, sensors, hoses, belts.. And I need two rear tires, for a nice $2,000 in a month.

It adds up quickly. And I have largely ignored the 88' 952 car this month. Another needy car.

Will the 993 motor mounts work on the 964? They are $90 each versus the $300 for 964 parts.
Old 04-04-2013 | 06:45 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alan 91 C2
I ordered the RS mounts yesterday from Pelican. $370 plus bolts and washers. Was part of another $700 order on top of the $1000 last week for rebuilt oil lines at $300 plus another $700 of other seals, sensors, hoses, belts.. And I need two rear tires, for a nice $2,000 in a month.

It adds up quickly. And I have largely ignored the 88' 952 car this month. Another needy car.

Will the 993 motor mounts work on the 964? They are $90 each versus the $300 for 964 parts.
Yes, I read 2 threads about it. I think I'm going to order the 993 mounts. I don't track my car, just a spirited drive once in a while. The rest of the time I'm just crusing and enjoying the car.
Old 04-05-2013 | 11:05 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

I just ordered the 993 mounts and the chain case to engine gaskets and o-rings (just in case I dig that deep).
Old 04-05-2013 | 12:06 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looking good Mike. Sorry if I missed mention of it earlier, but the braided oil hose should have a heat-protection wrap around it. It's often gone missing. I used an aftermarket wrap from McMaster-Carr.
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2013 | 11:21 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Back from the beach and off on Spring Break this week, so it is time to make a serious dent in the 964 project.

Oil Lines
Chain Cases
Firewall Cover
Top End (intake, etc.)
Valve Covers

I'm going to pull the valve covers last today and take them, along with the tins to my friend's house to glass-bead them. I need to call the powder-coat shop to see how long for turn-around on the pieces.

http://www.millerpowdercoating.com/

Quick Reply: Drip, Drip - Go Away / BigMike's reseal thread