Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 C4 backdate to 1973 Gulf 3.0 RS

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 04:18 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 639 Likes on 372 Posts

Not sure if it was this thread but someone wanted a pic of a Recaro A8. A mechanic has lent me his while I sort out seats. The best bit is that my helmet no longer hits the ceiling.
Attached Images   
Old 11-03-2013, 09:28 AM
tomato
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think having no headlining helps the headroom in mine. Those seats look very comfortable.

I loved New Zealand when I was there. Fabulous place
Old 11-03-2013, 09:42 AM
tomato
Instructor

Default Bought a Supercharger

Just been taken off a 993 as the dealer didn't want to sell it modified, not sure what make but for £2k it had to be bought

Hope it fits

Time for a new thread?
Old 11-03-2013, 02:31 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tomato
Just been taken off a 993 as the dealer didn't want to sell it modified, not sure what make but for £2k it had to be bought Hope it fits Time for a new thread?
Yes, time for a new thread

Re seats, yes very comfortable, especially the long soft thigh support. However, not a race seat so still need more to hold you in at the track.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:44 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I think having no headlining helps the headroom in mine. Those seats look very comfortable. I loved New Zealand when I was there. Fabulous place
Looking at your seats, you said they bolted straight in. Was it a special fitting kit from Rennsport as I can't see the 964 mentioned on their website?
Old 11-11-2013, 08:51 AM
tomato
Instructor

Originally Posted by John McM
Looking at your seats, you said they bolted straight in. Was it a special fitting kit from Rennsport as I can't see the 964 mentioned on their website?
I told Mark they were for a 964 and he sent me the fitting kit that bolted straight in. These seats might not suit very thin people!
Old 11-11-2013, 12:30 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I told Mark they were for a 964 and he sent me the fitting kit that bolted straight in. These seats might not suit very thin people!
Sounds promising. I'm 6'4" and 100kg so I have headroom issues (with helmet) and don't quite fit in the narrower seats. The 964 is a bear with replacement seats so I'm hoping that this is finally a bolt in solution.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:08 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just been taken off a 993 as the dealer didn't want to sell it modified, not sure what make but for £2k it had to be bought
Interesting... who's the charger made by? Running an intercooler also?
Old 11-14-2013, 03:05 PM
tomato
Instructor

Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY
Interesting... who's the charger made by? Running an intercooler also?
I've been told that it has an intercooler but despite frequent calls the dealer what sold it to me isn't being very helpful...yet to see it. Must be worth £2k, no?
Old 11-14-2013, 03:13 PM
tomato
Instructor

Decided on stripe lay out, just like these I think. Love the way the black line goes inside the doors. This isn't my car so thanks to whomsoever took these photos.

First shot is me being given a private guided tour of the ROFGO collection as I'd dropped off some Gulf memorabilia to them. The 917 had the key with the holes drilled in it in it. ROFGO now have the badge like my avatar on the left and a few other bits. I kept the rusty badge 'cos am keep in' it like real bro'

Etc etc
Attached Images        
Old 11-14-2013, 03:18 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

I've been told that it has an intercooler but despite frequent calls the dealer what sold it to me isn't being very helpful...yet to see it. Must be worth £2k, no?
Do you know what brand it is?

A few members here have the TPC Racing kit. The intercooler makes the big difference HP wise. The ideal is to have a low compression engine - there was a great issue on a Guards red C4 in Total 911 a few years back that was getting 440hp with a 3.8 low compression, inter-cooled/ supercharged engine..

The one that springs to many of our minds is the setup (I can't remember his user name off the top of my head - sure some one will chime in) a black C4 Rennlister is running. He's using a couple of intercoolers including a beautifully well installed Boxster intercooler housed within the front bumper.

I'm sure you've done your research but as a word of warning installing and setting up a supercharger can be challenging.

My ultimate point of view is that if you are planning a supercharger then build the engine to go with it. Compression, cam choice, head specification etc all have an effect on the efficiency of the supercharger. Who will be doing your rebuild?
Old 11-14-2013, 04:04 PM
tomato
Instructor

I'm not sure what brand it is...VTM? TPM? American I think he said - sorry not much use. My engine seized anyway so now isn't a bad time to add a blower. I also have a huge front cooler opening in my front bumper that is currently doing nothing

I can see that 9m know what they're doing but they're in Cheshire and their clients are "considerably richer than may" (you'll need a Midlands accent to make that phrase work)

Car is with Pro9 I will ask Simon whether he's done a supercharger before. I'd guess not.

My half arsed Internet based research summary is:

Many people hate the changed character of a blown flat six
Many conversions have power blips and hiccups during the power delivery mainly due to engine management ECU program issues
Inter cooler really helps
Low comp helps

Any suggestions what to do?

Buy new low comp pistons? Where from? Is this how you lower compression?

Run cooling from front to back? Through cabin?

Best start a new thread?
Old 11-15-2013, 09:03 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

I'm not sure what brand it is...VTM? TPM? American I think he said - sorry not much use. My engine seized anyway so now isn't a bad time to add a blower. I also have a huge front cooler opening in my front bumper that is currently doing nothing

I can see that 9m know what they're doing but they're in Cheshire and their clients are "considerably richer than may" (you'll need a Midlands accent to make that phrase work)

Car is with Pro9 I will ask Simon whether he's done a supercharger before. I'd guess not.

Any suggestions what to do?

Buy new low comp pistons? Where from? Is this how you lower compression?

Run cooling from front to back? Through cabin?

I remember now - 'Marc Shaw'. Really some great reading, he's kindly written a great thread on his supercharging project. He's come a long way in a relatively short period of owning his 964.

Absolutely - if you are going to be supercharging this would be the best time. It all depends on your budget and usage.

The ultimate setup for a supercharger would be a low compression, big capacity engine with heads, cams & intercooler to match (oh and probably a custom remap, Motec, exhaust, gear ratios etc, etc, etc...). We're talking serious money even before the SC/ intercooler is bought and installation labour.

TPC, do a liquid to air intercooler that's had mixed reviews. Probably down to installation. Marc's car uses additional intercoolers because it's warranted for the track application.

Yes, pistons are the most effective way to lower the compression ratio.

I would use a very experienced builder - a Turbo/ Supercharged engine is complex.

More importantly - What's your goal with the rebuilt engine? How will you be using the car?
Old 11-15-2013, 12:55 PM
tomato
Instructor

Default Getting blown properly

Ok, have decided to take engine to 9M for low compression 3.6 rebuild and fitting of supercharger. 3.8 not worthwhile for this route/ type of upgrade. I've just bought a 3.6 badge anyway for a small fortune

Pro 9 can paint the engine bay as the lump is out and it is wasnt done originally then do the stripes. Lowering springs too maybe. Carpets. Then car goes to 9m for refit and maybe inter cooler in front bumper opening but I'm told they're ok under the rear lid

That is presuming the dealer who took my £200 deposit for the SC kit calls me back

No more supercharger postings here, will start a new thread.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:18 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Ok, have decided to take engine to 9M for low compression 3.6 rebuild and fitting of supercharger. 3.8 not worthwhile for this route/ type of upgrade.

No more supercharger postings here, will start a new thread.
Good news that you are working with 9M. Very well chosen based on the 9M work I've seen on this (and the 993) forum.
Colin has been/is a wonderful contributor and thankfully posts lots of wonderful pictures too.

It's going to be a monster!

Quick Reply: 964 C4 backdate to 1973 Gulf 3.0 RS