Sponsored by:

Officially New 964 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 08:17 AM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
Sorry about the center section. I didn't encounter that, but I don't think it was the first time my rear bumper had been off the car.

On the license plate light wiring, I disconnected them at the light assemblies instead of messing with the plugs and grommets behind the taillight buckets.
No problem. I am sure I will be breaking other things.

Yes, I removed the connector behind the right tail light and pushed the connector and grommet through with the housing. Rear bumper is now off the car.

Just have to take the secondary muffler off and there is a heat shield covering the catalytic converter that I have one screw left to take out.

Then I am going to drop the car and degrease and clean up a little bit. Also, I need to pack up all of the pieces I have taken off the car and store them in my basement before I lose track of what goes where.

I need to put a cat back exhaust on my other car this weekend. Therefore, do not want to take apart anything yet on this car where I can not start this one. The only other thing I think I will take off this car will be the reinforcement bar.

Thanks again,
Steve
Old 10-24-2012, 10:43 AM
SCUMS
Banned

Congrats on the purchase! Better buy than an 01 Boxster S! Lol! Saw that disaster of a thread. Have fun with a real Porsche!
Old 10-24-2012, 11:17 AM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Thanks.

I wanted both of them...the boxster s was going to be for my wife. i agreed to buy it for 5K on the phone with that guy w/o ppi or anything then he back out of it after we had an agreement. wife was a little disappointed.

i call my 964 a beater but it is turning out to be a pretty fun car and in better shape than I originally thought it was. when I first went to see this car it smoked on start up for about 15 mins. i think it had to do with it being stored in a driveway that was at least on a 30 degree incline. i start it everyday now and it does not smoke except for what you would normally expect.

also, it has been fun to start taking it apart. i have had my RS4 for a year and have not done as much to that as I have on this so far.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:11 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

OK...rear bumper, secondary muffler, and catalytic converter shield are all off. I then started the car to hear how it would sound and damn it was smoking inside the interior of the car. The reason it was smoking was I had sprayed PB on the exhaust manifold bolts last night starting to prep them for removal.

Next I am going to warm up the engine and spray some engine degreaser in the engine and then power wash the engine from the bottom once it cools off a bit.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:33 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

It looks like a allen to remove the rear impact bar. Not sure if there are metric vs english type allen wrenches.

Do anyone know what size allen I need to remove the impact bar?

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Old 10-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

The car has all metric bolts and nuts. The bumper impact bar is held on with M12 bolts. If memory serves, you will need a 10mm allen wrench. I use a 10mm allen socket with my 1/2 breaker bar to loosen them.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:49 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Thanks Rocket Rob...one thing I thought was strange was the secondary exhaust was connected using 1/2" nuts.

Thanks again,
Steve
Old 10-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Then somebody changed the bolts from the originals. I have replaced my exhaust clamp bolts numerous times. The old ones were too rusty to reuse. I replace them with like size bolts from my local hardware store.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:20 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

I am going to be attempting to repair as many oil leaks with the engine in the car using this PP post as a guide and as well as other post here.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...es-thread.html

Also, I would like to replace distributor caps/rotors, spark plugs, valve adjustment or anything else that make sense while doing this.

Can anyone give me some pointers on tools/gasket kits that I should start to purchase in order to do this? If you could, please provide me links to these items if possible.

I am still open to removing the engine but might want to ease my way into repairing my 964 instead of jumping in that aggressively.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Old 10-26-2012, 05:57 AM
rs_t
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice thread this! RS4 and 964 is a very nice combination.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:15 AM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I almost bought another RS4 to use for DE but decided it would make more sense to have different types of cars. The 964 is no doubt different and the first car I have driven with the engine in the back which no doubt makes it handle nicely. The 964 drives much better than I had originally thought it would. I had quick plans to put a coil over suspension on the car but after driving it a bit am in no rush. I will do some DEs with it first and then upgrade the car in stages to appreciate the mods instead of doing all quickly.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

PelicanParts and possibly other parts retailers sell valve adjustment kits that include all new valve cover gaskets, fasteners, cat gasket, etc.

For the rest of the stuff, use perelet's thread on PP and a PDF copy of the PET 964 parts diagrams to get to the part #s you need. Or you could also use the dcauto.com online parts catalog that has all those diagrams too.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:02 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by swesna
Thanks. I almost bought another RS4 to use for DE but decided it would make more sense to have different types of cars. The 964 is no doubt different and the first car I have driven with the engine in the back which no doubt makes it handle nicely. The 964 drives much better than I had originally thought it would. I had quick plans to put a coil over suspension on the car but after driving it a bit am in no rush. I will do some DEs with it first and then upgrade the car in stages to appreciate the mods instead of doing all quickly.

It's amazing how solid and precise the 964 is. It's a true sports car and feels unique every second you are driving it. It is a 911 after all. I'm really glad you are enjoying the car. That feeling is only going to get better with more miles.

As for almost buying another RS4...who knows, soon the idea of selling the Audi and having two 964s might start entering into your head? Crazier things have happened on this forum
Old 10-26-2012, 01:59 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vandit
PelicanParts and possibly other parts retailers sell valve adjustment kits that include all new valve cover gaskets, fasteners, cat gasket, etc.

For the rest of the stuff, use perelet's thread on PP and a PDF copy of the PET 964 parts diagrams to get to the part #s you need. Or you could also use the dcauto.com online parts catalog that has all those diagrams too.
Vandit,

I was thinking of buying this kit bc I want to address all these areas when I am at it. I know I will even need more than this...do you think this is a good kit to start with?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...pn=RN-11C240BN

Thanks,
Steve
Old 10-26-2012, 02:05 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
It's amazing how solid and precise the 964 is. It's a true sports car and feels unique every second you are driving it. It is a 911 after all. I'm really glad you are enjoying the car. That feeling is only going to get better with more miles.

As for almost buying another RS4...who knows, soon the idea of selling the Audi and having two 964s might start entering into your head? Crazier things have happened on this forum
No doubt a fun car to drive. I have only driven it for two hours from picking it up and a few trips around bc I have not driven it much lately bc I have started to take it apart. I will probably enjoy it more after a tune up etc.

This weekend will be the RS4 catback swap.

But after that I will be fully engaged in resolving the leaks etc...it will be fun. My biggest fear is breaking off the exhaust manifold bolts but I need to remove the manifolds to get to the chain covers.

I got some really good degreaser from Costco and used it on my driveway today with the powerwasher. Cleaned it right up and is biodegradable therefore not going to kill the grass next to the driveway.

Thanks,
Steve

Quick Reply: Officially New 964 Owner