Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Officially New 964 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

You don't have to take off the exhaust manifolds to reach the timing chain covers.

That kit looks good, definitely a good starting point.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:22 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vandit,

Thanks. It is costly due to the distributor caps and rotors...but I am fine with that...I could swap them out for cheaper ones but will just stick with the kit.

Took off the rear bumper beam and the primary exhaust...did sound nice and loud when I started it with that off.

Got to stop taking things apart and bag up the parts and place them in the basement. I am not planning on putting the car back together anytime soon. I like to take my time and enjoy the project...so far very easy and fun.

Still want to get the exhaust manifolds off the car in order to replace the bolts and nuts. I am sure some will break but if I have to I will take the engine out to fix them if necessary.

Thanks again,
Steve
Old 10-28-2012, 04:11 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

More pictures with rear bumper/primary and secondary mufflers removed.

Also, a sound clip of the car running with only the cat in place.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6416866...7631770678346/

This week is RS4 week but I will be buying plenty of parts from Pelican and will start working on fixing oil leaks, full tune up and valve change next Saturday.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:45 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Going to start getting back to working on the 964. The oil is being drained today in order for me to start giving the car a tune up and replacing numerous gaskets. Here is the list of current parts I have at this time:

Rocker Panel Clips (Pelican Parts) -- 10/16/2012)
L/R Tail lights/Clear Turn Signal Set (Suncoast Parts) -- 10/18/2012
Used Secondary Muffler By-Pass (eBay) -- 10/20/2012
Used Front Euro Bumper Reflector (eBay) -- 10/20/2012
2 Bosch Distributor Caps; 2 Bosch Distibutor Rotors; 12 Bosch Spark Plugs; 1 Mahle Oil Filter (RockAuto) -- 11/04/2012
Rennline Engine Carrier Reinforcement Gusset Kit (Rennline) -- 11/13/2012
Rear Center Reflector (Suncoast Parts) -- 11/15/2012
Used Factory Air Cleaner Assembly from 35K Miles Car (eBay) -- 12/01/2012
Valve Cover Gasket Kit; Chain Cover Gasket Kit; 3 Oil Drain Plug Seals; 6 Spark Plug Wire Clip On Lower Valve Cover; Valve Adjustment Tool (Pelican Parts) -- 12/21/12

The goal will be to get the "bold" ones installed plus clean and powder coat whatever is taking off the car during this process.

At this point the exhaust (primary/secondary), rear bumper therefore I am going to start up the car and let it idle til it is warm enough to drain the oil. I have loosened up the thermostat bolt already and the oil is actually very fresh in the car but I need to remove the oil as I want to replace lots of gaskets to resolve some of the oil leaks.

Will take pics along the way.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-01-2013, 02:48 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Well that was easy...draining the oil on these are is not hard at all. One thing I did to make it easier was to loosen the bolts prior to warming up the car. Then just tightened them hand tight, warmed up the car, then place the oil containers in their proper places and unscrew the bolts. I drained the thermostat first, then the engine case and then put a hole in the oil filter. When I put the hole in the oil filter not much more came out. The oil was much nastier than I had originally thought.

I got one set of ESCO jack stands and ordered another set since I liked them a lot. Then once I get the next set put the car high on stands and let the fun begin. Next step is the removal of the catalytic converter.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:45 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

OK...let the oil drip out of the car for 5 days and just finished dumping it at the oil recycle facility.

Got my second set of ESCO jack stands in this week will be putting her on 4 jack stands this afternoon or tomorrow. Will take pics of it once I get it sitting on the stands...will not be too high at first.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I love those ESCO stands. I had a pair, and my wife got me another pair for Christmas, so now I have 4. They are confidence inspiring when i'm under the car, hanging from the breaker bar trying to loosen ridiculously tight suspension bolts.

Was RockAuto significantly cheaper on the Bosch cap & rotor? I noticed Amazon was cheaper than Pelican on those parts. My car started acting up before I parked it recently, so I took apart the distributor caps, and it's pretty obvious whole ignition scene needs a serious makeover.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:23 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Yes, on the RockAuto for the Bosch cap and rotor. Bought the gasket sets at Pelican just because they had them in kits.

Agree on the ESCO stands after getting my first set in I looked at them and decided to get the second set exactly for the reasons you mentioned.

I will be following one of your threads and the one on Pelican regarding replacing gaskets. Also, I will be using the valve adjustment threads as well. Looking forward to working on the car and am in no rush...even if I get this done by June that is fine with me.

You see I got the Gusset Kit...that was based on your thread.

Thanks again for posting up that thread.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:56 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

great thread for a new owner/wrencher - thanks for keeping it detailed w pn's and pics!
Old 05-09-2013, 11:21 AM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Default Back from being out of country for 3-months.

I am going to revive this thread as I have returned back from being out of the country for 3-months with my 964 patiently waiting in the garage with its oil drained.

At this point I have the car raised on ESCO jack stand in the back, all of the heat sheilds off, two side tins off, and starting to remove the exhaust manifold (even though I dont think there is a real need for this).

I am taking the exhaust manifolds off in order to be able to get a better look at the engine to determine where the leaks are plus I want to be proactive and replace the studs. I have all of the nuts off at this point and just need to take the 4 allen head bolt off.

I actually enjoy working on cars and it feels nice to be on my back again working on a car. I am in no rush and will be taking my time with this project. I have not taken any recent pics but will start to soon.

Also, I am sure I will be asking for some advice along the way.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Old 05-11-2013, 09:01 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

OK -- today decided to set the engine on a jack stand and remove the motor mounts.

After that I removed the engine carrier with the rear tin attached.

Then separated the rear tin from the engine carrier.

Side tins are in very good shape and the rear one is rusted a little but not bad at all.

The engine carrier is in very good condition as well.

Motor mounts were in very bad shape they were hanging badly and the bottom rubber was dry rotted. The driver's side rubber actually fell apart when I removed it.

No doubt the car is in need of new motor mounts. I just bought a set of WEVO blacks for the 993 and they will be here on Tuesday. I probably will buy the same for the 964 as well or 993 mounts for the 964.

Project will be on hold for two to three weeks as I have a contract in Louisville, KY.

Will snap some pics of current state on Memorial Day weekend...but no work will happen during that week except on the 993 bc I am thinking about driving it to Louisville, KY for my last week at the client site and I want to install the motor mounts on that prior to leaving.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 06-23-2013, 12:19 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Just removed the last four barrel nuts from the exhaust manifolds. I was lucky that all of the bolts came off relatively easy without applying any heat and just soaked them with PB Blaster. My car has been on jack stands for the past 6-months.

One delay in removing the barrel nuts was due to attempting to buy the 8mm long extension from tooldiscounter.com. I paid for the tool and they never shipped it and never responded to any of my emails trying to get a status on the shipment.

I would suggest no one buy anything from tooldiscounter.com. I did a search on the internet and this is the MO for this website. Have to see if my bank can refund me the money. I gave this place plenty of time to ship the part to me (more than a month).

Therefore, I went and ordered it from Pelican and received it in three days.

Going to take the valve covers off today as well. Basically trying to get all of the items off that I would like to have thoroughly cleaned and then powder or ceramic coated.

this is the list I am thinking about doing:
valve covers -- powder coated
engine tins -- powder coated
engine carrier -- powder coated
exhaust manifolds ?? -- what do you guys think...ceramic coat...good or bad
catalytic converter ?? -- what do you guys think...ceramic coat...good or bad

Anyone know a good place to get these parts cleaned/media blasted/powder or ceramic coated?

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Old 06-24-2013, 05:31 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Good to see you're back at it! Love the pics and posts to this point; what color powder coat were you thinking?
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-24-2013, 06:29 PM
Enso
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Love the Colour!
Old 06-24-2013, 08:42 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Not sure yet regarding the color...something calm.

I am partially thinking about buying billet valve covers as I am thinking it may not be too much more money to purchase those instead of media blasting and powder coating the existing ones.

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Quick Reply: Officially New 964 Owner