964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tin worm removal !

Old 02-01-2013, 05:37 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CBR, I managed it with just removing the drier however it was a real pain a small turn at a time and the fact that my wings had been replaced and the undercoat stripped back also helped, certainly easier if you take the AC pipes out the way I don`t intend putting mine back in for now, not easy breaking the seal on the inner wing tape to remove the wing patience and perseverence

Mark you tempt me with 993 window seals I need to tempt you with something back, The place that sells them on ebay.de fluctuates the prices anywhere between 250-190 euro luckily they were at the 190 at christmas when I bought mine been spending a bit of time cleaning up all the various bits that have come off the rear bumper support has been a real pain with both the brackets broken and will need welded and also one of the support tubes needs replaced, onwards and upwards.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:17 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GazC2
CBR, I managed it with just removing the drier however it was a real pain a small turn at a time and the fact that my wings had been replaced and the undercoat stripped back also helped, certainly easier if you take the AC pipes out the way I don`t intend putting mine back in for now, not easy breaking the seal on the inner wing tape to remove the wing patience and perseverence

Mark you tempt me with 993 window seals I need to tempt you with something back, The place that sells them on ebay.de fluctuates the prices anywhere between 250-190 euro luckily they were at the 190 at christmas when I bought mine been spending a bit of time cleaning up all the various bits that have come off the rear bumper support has been a real pain with both the brackets broken and will need welded and also one of the support tubes needs replaced, onwards and upwards.
These I imagine

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RS-MITTELT...item3f1224ef8d

Not cheap but they look very good

AP design do a nice one but for some reason use different number plate lights on it compared to the regular RS ones
Old 02-01-2013, 06:53 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

That`s the one Freedman didn`t think the price was to bad at £170 delivered some of the cheapo fibreglass ones are £150 if not more also need a couple of number plate lights to go with it
Old 02-02-2013, 11:20 AM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

It was a bit of a struggle getting the rear bumper support of f, you can see the alloy corrosion on both the bolts and the retaining tabs on the bumper support both of which have broken not surprising as there was very little left, I ran the bolts over the wire wheel and the corrosion is so bad the bolts have holes in them, the bumper support tubes, one was covered in oil and is in good nick the other one from the passenger side is shot, clear the bumper has never been removed.
Attached Images     
Old 02-02-2013, 03:56 PM
CBR786
Pro

hmm looks bad you gonna try to get it aluminium welded back on to the rear bumper beam>?

That is the problem when you start to strip down you always find more things to do. I am still struggling with my front wing. I managed to remove all the bolts and even the tack weld but the wing/fender does not seem to want to budge. I guess I will need to get try to remove more sealant. You where lucky that the sealant had already been removed from your car makes stripping down far easier. I am not sure if I want to put on a heavy coat of sealant back on, I was just thinking of using some other method of rust proofing. do you have to get a blade down the side of the wing where the bonnet rubber seal is inside the front trunk ? as even my rubber rain seal was glued down need to get a new one of them as well. along with all the trims for the sills and cowls etc. pic shows tack seal on wing after been ground down.

Last edited by CBR786; 01-23-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:20 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

First port of call will be to try and weld new tabs back on, in regards your wing are you sure you have all bolts removed ? and yes worth running a blade down the edge, I then used a a flat blade scraper (like a chisel) and gently prised at it to start to break the seal then once it starts to go a mix of blade and scraper it can take a fair bit of pressure to release it, its the nuts,bolts,brackets,seals etc that all add up painting its the easy bit.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:36 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GazC2
That`s the one Freedman didn`t think the price was to bad at £170 delivered some of the cheapo fibreglass ones are £150 if not more also need a couple of number plate lights to go with it
I think you will find the best place for the number plate lights is Type 911

They are £12.50 each there but seem to be about a fiver more everywhere else
Old 02-03-2013, 08:01 AM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by freedman
I think you will find the best place for the number plate lights is Type 911

They are £12.50 each there but seem to be about a fiver more everywhere else
Cheers for that as you most of the ones I`ve seen are £17-£18 a piece.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:50 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Had a little dabble about in the garage tonight removed the powdered oxide round the screw holes on the frame and sprayed the frame and mesh, tidied up the rusty edges on the headlight bezels still need a rub down and tidy up.
Attached Images   
Old 02-12-2013, 09:23 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I''ve just stripped out the rear bumper support on mine too. Thankfully it looks in a little better shape than yours. The bumper supports are still good, the alloy bar is still good but like yours, the alloy brackets are shot. I fabricated some new ones from steel at the weekend. I'll post some pictures tonight it it helps.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:03 AM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

That will be good, I was toying with the idea of drilling out the rivets and removing what`s left of the brackets, The bolts were comletely seized and the alloy is to soft to stand much pressure to release the bolts, although one had completly corroded away.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:42 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Here is a picture of the mounts I made at the weekend. Fab'd from a piece of 4mm steel plate I had laying about. Probably abit over-kill for the requirement but these certainly won't rot away in a hurry :-) They fix onto the alloy with 4 bolts. Two on the top and two on the bottom. Hope this helps.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:35 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Nice work!

Ferry would be proud.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:02 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

LOL - you're probably right. They're even painted in a marine alkyd resin paint :-) They'll at least get me working until I come up with a lighter alloy solution.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:27 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Just the job, They will certainly stand up to a rear impact ! makes you think the rear crash bar would just fall off in the event of an impact when the alloy is corroded.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tin worm removal !