Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope the 964 is going to be a keeper!
Old 11-25-2012, 06:44 AM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chfs911
I hope the 964 is going to be a keeper!
Oh yes this one is definately a keeper , unless a turbo or maybe a speedster or RS
Old 12-05-2012, 03:53 PM
chfs911
Instructor

Any progress or just sitting in front of the fire? Like the rest of us.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:37 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

your right been trying to shake of this bloody novovirus ,kids have had it wifes had it bloody murder and I must remember to get a new gas bottle this week for the heater.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:27 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Well eventually found some time to get back to the car, when you buy cars of this age you don`t really know what your getting untill you start tearing it apart
someone went to the time and considerable expense to put new wings on the least they could do is put all the bolts back in ! a couple missing from the trunk side and the 2 awkward ones at the top in the wheel arch missing wing practically fell off once the bolts were out no tape or sealer on wing on any of the edges the good news is wing is perfect and only very light surface corrosion on inner wing. also removed the sill cover and good news is sill and rear quarter are perfect did notice the small packer/screw that holds the thermostat to the sill is broken something else to put on the list for repair the only other couple of bodges are the clips either end of the sill were put on with sikaflex rather than fixing the clips.and again rather than spraying underseal over the wing join its covered in waxoyil apoligies for the poor pictures .
Attached Images     
Old 12-28-2012, 04:08 PM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

Those pics bring back memories
Old 01-04-2013, 04:24 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

well some more small progress got the door handles off , that`s a fun job getting the inside nut off , also got the mirrors off tried to seperate the bases for painting and broke a glass I have managed to do this with every set of mirrors I have removed so if anyone has a spare glass in the garage .

Got round to the rear bumper soon became apparent its never been off and probably why it was a different colour from the rest of the car. speed nuts screws with small heads no room to get a decent turn on them . I am going to look at alternative fittings putting them back.

The bonnet badge had been stuck on with sikaflex

Now the bad news is the lower lip/flange on the rear quarter has rotted out and still have some bubbles further along however will all get cut out just about ready to send to the metalwork man.
Attached Images   
Old 01-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

Really getting stuck in there. If you need any advice on stripping and rebuilding drop me an email info@lemass.co.uk
I'm doing a repaint/resto on a red 64 at the moment so if you need any specific images then ill be glad to help
Old 01-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GazC2
well some more small progress got the door handles off , that`s a fun job getting the inside nut off , also got the mirrors off tried to seperate the bases for painting and broke a glass I have managed to do this with every set of mirrors I have removed so if anyone has a spare glass in the garage .

Got round to the rear bumper soon became apparent its never been off and probably why it was a different colour from the rest of the car. speed nuts screws with small heads no room to get a decent turn on them . I am going to look at alternative fittings putting them back.

The bonnet badge had been stuck on with sikaflex

Now the bad news is the lower lip/flange on the rear quarter has rotted out and still have some bubbles further along however will all get cut out just about ready to send to the metalwork man.
Gaz, looks like you delling into the realms of an old car! Am sure we have all encountered this when doing all this DIY and taking the car apart.

The more you take off the more you find, its scarey! Well especially for me when I stripped the whole entire car.

I remember disassembling a Mk2 Golf Rallye back in the day only to realise one of my drive shafts was missing every bolt except one, the engine mount was held surround by rusted and crusted metal. Similar to my 964 with a broken engine mounting bar.

You just never know what lurks under all that metal!

Good work.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:55 AM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Tom, thanks for the offer will bear it in mind, Norm it puts it into perspective stripping a whole car back to a bare shell the time,effort, patience and hundreds of Dremel cutting disks required to get all those 20 year old fittings off however all very satisfying knowing what you started with and hopefully a nice finished article (Eventually)

Got the rear bumper off today drilled out the 5 rivets along the top edge , had to take the outer cover of as I didn`t have enough access to the 2 main bumper mounts because of my twin outlet fabspeed however will need to take the tips of for refitting which will be easier . One of the mounting points has corroded and broken and will require welding which would appear to be common after talking to Fuch today.

I will probably replace the center section with the RS type been looking at these ones on Ebay which are moulded rather than fibreglass

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2708873501...84.m1423.l2649
Attached Images   
Old 01-19-2013, 02:18 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

RS rear bumper section arrived went for a moulded one rather than fibreglass quality is spot on.
Attached Images   
Old 01-19-2013, 02:54 PM
CBR786
Pro

hmmm this looks like the road ahead for me as well. I am thankful that the rear body work on my car is okay as I had rear bumper off when I did my timing chain gaskets and cam gasket. I however still need to pull my front wings to see if any rust lurks. I am hoping its only my screen surround that is the issue as I already pulled my screen and apart from the one hole all is well around screen so far. I will be watching this thread as my car is to meet a body worker soon for paint although not a complete paint job just the bonnet and screen surround I hope. keep up the good work don't lose motivation it can easily be done lol.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:41 PM
CBR786
Pro

Gaz how did you manage to pull the wing with the a/c pipe work still attached ? did you remove the drier because looking at the inner wing bolts to the bulk head look a nightmare especially the ones nearer the top also some behind drier that are impossible to get at unless I pull a/c pipes. Or once you undo the plastic 10mm nuts that secure the a/c pipes do you get enough play to reach the bolts ?
I am doing exactly what you are doing but a little behind you it seems I am just a the stage of pulling the front wings/fenders off.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:48 PM
CBR786
Pro

here is a pic you cannot even see the 10mm bolts behind the drier in my case I need to strip the drier or remove a/c lines also wondering once I refit do i need to use pvc tape on the threads of the a/c pipes ?I wish to retain my a/c pipe work after restoration rather then scrap them. any help from any one who has been through this would be great. I am using a small pen like blow torch to cut through the sealer in places as suggested by lemass want to remove only a little bit of the sealer just so I can pull the wings do not wish to remove too much of the protective coating.

Last edited by CBR786; 01-23-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:59 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GazC2
RS rear bumper section arrived went for a moulded one rather than fibreglass quality is spot on.
FFS Gaz why did you go & post that!!

Sorry no new shoes kids....

Quick Reply: Tin worm removal !