Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some say, he should stick to driving 964s and he doesn't know how to wrench.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 10:29 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I had 15 minutes to play with the car. So I tried to spruce up the H/Es.

Before:
Name:  IMG_1208.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  103.8 KB

After:
Name:  IMG_1207.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  96.7 KB

Still a few more spots that could use some TLC, but not too shabby for 15 mins. I used industrial degreaser, steel wool and a power washer. Will let the degreaser dwell for a while longer next round.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Are those holes in the HE that big of a deal? It's heat, not exhaust fumes, that are escaping.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The Stig

Still a few more spots that could use some TLC, but not too shabby for 15 mins. I used industrial degreaser, steel wool and a power washer. Will let the degreaser dwell for a while longer next round.
good stuff, which degreaser did you use?
Old 08-04-2012, 01:07 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Vandit
Are those holes in the HE that big of a deal? It's heat, not exhaust fumes, that are escaping.
You may be on to something here. You've just saved me a few bucks. Cheers Vandit.

Originally Posted by Laker
good stuff, which degreaser did you use?
Fairly generic blue stuff from Princess Auto. Don't think you have that store in the US. Can be diluted or used full strength. Comes with many skeletons and warnings on the label.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 429 Likes on 278 Posts

I had similar holes in my heat exchangers when I had my engine out. He'd them welded. All is fine and I have no exhaust fumes in the car. So i think vandit is correct. But if someone else has another idea, let me know...make sure it's safe...

Question on your lift- what safeguard is there for the hydraulics... Does it lock in place? Or are you dependent on the hydraulics not failing? And do you have a link so we can explore?
Old 08-05-2012, 11:34 AM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Goughary - here's a link to the lift

http://www.liftsuperstore.com/produc...unner-6000-lbs

There are 2 large hydraulic cylinders and a locking pin mechanism. So if the cylinders fail, the centre locking post will hold things in place. Oce the lift is at the correct height, I lower it on tote locking pin to keep hold of things. Very similar to the BendPak lift.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:39 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Attachment 653273

...............Here are the tools I used to pull the heat exchangers off........Attachment 653266

Great thread.

I used a power washer on mine last time I droped the engine, and your car is not so dirty by comparison!

Do yourself a favor before going back on with the heat exchangers. Go to Sears (do you have them? If not, contact a fellow Rennlister in the States. I'll help if you want.) and buy their combination socket with U-joint swivel. Since the joint is built in, it's a much shorter connection than a standard socket and separate swivel. Makes all the difference in getting the socket in and out of such close quarters around the exhaust hex nuts.
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2012, 06:13 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Altarchsa. We do have a Sears up here. In fact, the one I used is a wobbly head/swivel socket as you describe. However, the one you've pictured has a shorter head which would defo come in handy. I'll look for the one you've got for CQB.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good so far.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cliff, props to you, you got some cojones to try this, I'm sure you'll be fine. I can't add much value other then offering you a 964 fix. If your car isn't ready by the fall drive, you can ride with me and pilot part of it if you want.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:13 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Sultan. Not sure if it's cojones or being a cheap bastard that will get me through.

I'll let you know when it's close to engine drop time. Close to the time of the 964 GTG, I expect.

If I can go to the fall run, I'll let you know. Cheers.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Watching with great interest.. Still can't believe you drove that in the winter up here
Old 08-06-2012, 10:45 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 737 Likes on 516 Posts

Great Pics and details. Thanks for the posts. How much did this lift cost as I can nort find the price on the link/ website. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:34 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sharker
Watching with great interest.. Still can't believe you drove that in the winter up here
Jeff - it's would stick to the road like poop on blanket with a good set of winters. Give it a try

Originally Posted by spanky
Great Pics and details. Thanks for the posts. How much did this lift cost as I can nort find the price on the link/ website. Thanks.
It's under the promotions sections - $1,795 currently + delivery
Old 01-06-2013, 05:11 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Default Back again

So I've neglected posting stuff for quite a few months. This may well be the world's longest engine drop. Family, work, all kinds of stuff have taken priority. So goes life.

I'm back at it in earnest now and should be making some meaningful progress through the winter in the hopes of getting the car back on the road this spring.

Since this is taking a month of Sundays, I'm trying to label everything I can, so that putting humpty dumpty back together again will be easy.

Here are the connections behind the blower motor.
Name:  Label Behind Blower Motor.JPG
Views: 267
Size:  120.0 KB

Here are the connections near the throttle.
Name:  Label Near Throttle.JPG
Views: 285
Size:  121.6 KB

In the rear fuse box and the dizzy.
Name:  Labels at Fuse Box Plug.JPG
Views: 268
Size:  109.1 KBName:  Dizzy Labels.JPG
Views: 269
Size:  127.3 KB

The big oil line was an absolute monster to get off. A liberal soak with Aerokroil and some patience got the lines off. Needed a 36mm wrench and a 32mm adjustable.
Name:  Tools for Big Oil Line.JPG
Views: 330
Size:  148.5 KBName:  Big Oil Line 2.JPG
Views: 255
Size:  127.3 KBName:  Big Oil Line.JPG
Views: 249
Size:  115.7 KB

Drained the power steering pump and MacGyver'd up a little catch basin out of an old windshield washer bottle.
Name:  Draining Power Steering.JPG
Views: 288
Size:  128.3 KB

Next up is the little hose that runs behind the throttle cable bracket. It's a little flat head number that needs to come out. There is a round access hole on the vertical bracket (bottom right) that you can use. Or a screwdriver with an offset head.
Name:  Flat Head Screw at Throttle.JPG
Views: 267
Size:  126.0 KB

There is a wiring harness that needs disconnecting. You must remove the bolt behind the MAF.
Name:  Bolt Behind MAF.JPG
Views: 266
Size:  113.4 KB

A couple of hose clamps behind the ISV as well.
Name:  Hose Clamps Behind ISV.JPG
Views: 263
Size:  104.9 KB

Fuel filter needs to come out. Use two small wrenches in tandem to loosen the nuts. A small amount of fuel will drain. Use MacGyver's Catch Basin from PS pump to trap the fuel. It's a good idea to plug the holes with a rag as well.
Name:  Fuel Filter.JPG
Views: 273
Size:  132.9 KB

Back under the car and the nasty ground strap comes off. I will replace this with a new shiny one.
Name:  Ground Strap.JPG
Views: 300
Size:  150.9 KB

Decided to drain all the oil out of the car. But since the support arms for the lift partially block the oil drain plug under the shark fin, I had to come up with a solution to get the oil out without making a mess all over the lift or the floor. Once again, our intrepid '80s action hero to the rescue. I cut the top off a bottle of motor oil and created a little access slot for the wrench to loosen the oil drain plug while the funnel is in place. Worked well.
Name:  Oil Drain Funnel.JPG
Views: 311
Size:  84.8 KB

Quick Reply: Some say, he should stick to driving 964s and he doesn't know how to wrench.