Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some say, he should stick to driving 964s and he doesn't know how to wrench.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 10:30 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Some say, he should stick to driving 964s and he doesn't know how to wrench.

All I know is, I've got a big project on my hands.

I'd like to share the trials and tribulations of my 964 project. I started having clutch problems a while back. I priced out the job and couldn't bring myself to cut the cheque. I guess I'm a cheap-**** when all is said and down. I've grown tired of financing my mechanics summer holidays.

So I figured I'd buy a scissor lift, pick up a few extra tools and have a crack at this old beast myself. Now before you get excited, I'm no Marc Shaw. I will not tackle some of the magnificent things he's done. (Rebuilding CVs?!? That's talent.). I have a very limited skill set, but I'm feeling rather brave, so how hard could it be?

Some history first: I've had the car for 4.5 years. Been a daily driver for 3y, including 3 nasty Canadian winters. They truly do beat the snot out of old cars. I covered 40,000 hard kms and the old boot only missed a few beats along the way. But when the clutch started giving me gyp, at 173,000kms, I figured it was time for some resto and repair. I do believe the clutch is original. Given the state of the underside of the car, it does not appear that the engine has ever been out.

I'm go to try and fix as many "while-you're-in-there" bits as I can. I've found a few leaks that have started to get a bit more noticeable. I will eventually get to the clutch - which is what brung me to this dance - but I'm going to make the most of the experience. I'll share and document everything I can.

First thing was to get the car up on the lift. Which was a bit tricky given the lift points, but after a couple go's, I got it sorted.

Name:  IMG_1194.JPG
Views: 557
Size:  156.8 KB

Next was to remove all the tins from the underside to expose the engine, transmission, driveline etc.

Name:  IMG_1161.JPG
Views: 487
Size:  186.1 KB

Having a hard look underneath. It made me cringe. It is so filthy and nasty. I'm almost embarrassed to show my under bits.

This is when the project turned into something else. I got to clean all this ****e. I'm not going to drive in the winter anymore - so back to the auto parts store for industrial de-greaser and steel wool.

Name:  IMG_1162.JPG
Views: 484
Size:  129.9 KB

Here are some more dirty pictures

Name:  IMG_1182.JPG
Views: 429
Size:  203.0 KBName:  IMG_1184.JPG
Views: 489
Size:  216.5 KB

Next instalment will include a little game called "Where's the leak?" Stay tuned....

Last edited by The Stig; 07-26-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want a lift that goes on its side.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:17 PM
dkcaims
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Makmov
I want a lift that goes on its side.
Just get some lumber...

Ok, something more sturdy. (don't know if I'd trust it).
Old 08-02-2012, 11:25 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Default More work as I get closer to engine drop

First up was the catalytic converter. It was a real pain to get off. Couldn't pull out the O2 sensor, so I may just cut the damn thing out.

I did find some interesting debris in there. Looked like ceramic. Any guesses?
Name:  IMG_1197.JPG
Views: 486
Size:  215.6 KB

Made some more progress on the cleaning front too.
Name:  IMG_1183.JPG
Views: 461
Size:  207.8 KB
Name:  IMG_1181.JPG
Views: 472
Size:  161.8 KB
Name:  IMG_1179.JPG
Views: 465
Size:  194.6 KB
Name:  IMG_1198.JPG
Views: 527
Size:  218.5 KB

I will hit the area with a power washer and industrial degreaser again. This was just my first pass it. Once the engine is out, I'll have more room to manoeuvre.
I was able to get the heat exchangers off.

Here are the tools I used to pull the heat exchangers off. I hit the studs with AeroKroil for the better part of a week in anticipation. I was able to find it here in good old Canada from Aircraft Spruce. Damn handy that. The Allen bolts came out without heat, but the 13mm hex heads needed a dab of heat. I used the gas to get them hot (not cherry red), then gave them another splash with AeroKroil. As the heads cooled, the penetrant got sucked right up into the threads.
Name:  IMG_1204.JPG
Views: 586
Size:  249.7 KB

All the studs were intact. I couldn't believe it. Thanks to all the info on here related to heat exchangers. It was a huge help. Special thanks to Christien for lending some much needed tools.
Name:  IMG_1205.JPG
Views: 585
Size:  227.7 KB
Name:  IMG_1206.JPG
Views: 560
Size:  211.7 KB

I've found a couple of holes in the heat exchangers so I'm going to get someone to weld them up. Can't afford to replace them and have no interest in doing headers at this stage.

Engine tins look a right rusty mess. I don't think they are salvageable.

List of suspected leaks:
- chain covers, both sides
- IMS
- Maybe oil pressure sender
- Maybe power steering pump
- Something is terminating and puddling near the transmission in and around the transmission brace
- Something at or near the front diff.

Looks like I have my work cut out for me.

Next instalment - more cleaning and welding of the Exchangers. Then prep for the drop.

Cheers
Old 08-02-2012, 11:57 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The Stig
I've found a couple of holes in the heat exchangers so I'm going to get someone to weld them up. Can't afford to replace them and have no interest in doing headers at this stage.
How bad are they? I've got a couple of spare sets sitting around that I believe are NOT in my junk, way out-of-the-way warehouse. If you want to go that route, let me know.

Oh, and great that you're tackling it. I was 18, having owned my '68 wannabe "S" only 3 months, when I holed a piston. So I dug in. 32 years later, it's been an interesting journey with everything I've tackled.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:11 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

sub'd!
Old 08-03-2012, 08:17 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

First up was the catalytic converter. It was a real pain to get off. Couldn't pull out the O2 sensor, so I may just cut the damn thing out.
I had a hard time getting my O2 sensor out. The trick for me was to heat the flange around the sensor as hot as I could with my propane torch and strong socket and impact gun. Eventually, it came out. I ran tap to clean the threads and the new O2 sensor went in without any problems.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:34 AM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I had to use a pick to clean out residual threads from the O2 sensor. And then used an 18mm spark plug tap from Autozone to clean the threads. And then a dab of antiseize (if not already on the new sensor).
Ceramic bits are from exhaust ports?
Can you show pictures of holes in heat exchangers? leaking on the exhaust side or hot air side?
Keep up the good work, and continue posting pictures. I am learning/absorbing every day. The older I get, the more I realize how little I know.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:49 AM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by race911
How bad are they? I've got a couple of spare sets sitting around that I believe are NOT in my junk, way out-of-the-way warehouse. If you want to go that route, let me know.
Thanks for the offer and words of encouragement. I really appreciate it. I've taken so much from this community and I wanted to give back.

I'll post some pics of the holes. I think they can be closed up, but I don't know enough about welding. If they're pooched, I'll reach out to you to search your warehouse for me.

Originally Posted by DWS964
I had to use a pick to clean out residual threads from the O2 sensor. And then used an 18mm spark plug tap from Autozone to clean the threads. And then a dab of antiseize (if not already on the new sensor).
Ceramic bits are from exhaust ports?
Can you show pictures of holes in heat exchangers? leaking on the exhaust side or hot air side?
Keep up the good work, and continue posting pictures. I am learning/absorbing every day. The older I get, the more I realize how little I know.
The ceramic bits fell out of the cat on the primary exhaust side, just ahead of the honeycomb weave. Would that indicate a problem with my primary?

The h/e holes are on the driverside - is that considered the exhaust side?

Thanks for watching, Darrell. So many RL'ers have inspired me. I have a small accountant's brain, so if I can manage some of this wrenching maybe others will try too.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:41 AM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Great thread so far! What is the make/model of your lift?
Old 08-03-2012, 10:55 AM
ja78911sc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lift is a game changer. Good luck with your projects!
Old 08-03-2012, 11:24 AM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kylejohnston1
Great thread so far! What is the make/model of your lift?
Thanks Kyle. I bought it locally after much research. It's called a Hemi Roadrunner, purchased from The Lift Superstore. Really well made. Huge pistons and excellent construction. The hydraulic pump is US/Canadian made and so are the pistons. Lifts are constructed in China, just like every other one on the market.

Originally Posted by ja78911sc
A lift is a game changer. Good luck with your projects!
It is a total game changer. I've reached a certain age (*ahem* not 40 yet) and I can't be arsed crawling around under 12" of ground clearance while this beast is teetering around on jack stands. Eff that for a laugh. Thanks for the luck, I'll need a bit of that.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:41 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Subscribed! I love these threads. Good luck with all the projects!
Old 08-03-2012, 07:55 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Here's a pic of the offending heat exchanger holes.
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2012, 07:57 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

And this. Damn phone will only attach one pic at a time.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Some say, he should stick to driving 964s and he doesn't know how to wrench.