Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some say, he should stick to driving 964s and he doesn't know how to wrench.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 10:47 AM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought it best to drag this thread up and bring it to a close.

After getting the engine/tranny out and separated, I started to work on replacing ancillary items. New spark plug wires, oil pressure sender, etc.

What ended up happening? Every part I touched, that should have been a little afternoon job, turned into a full weekend nightmare. For example, the spark plug boots put the tin hat on it for me. 16 out of the 24 brass connectors stripped when removing the wire from the boot. Even after loads of lube and gentle twisting. It was pretty aggravating and demotivating. The fun had ebbed away from this project.

I ran out of time, talent, and patience. I didn't want the summer of 2013 to be the one my kids remember as the summer we didn't drive the 911 or the summer we never saw daddy!

So I packed up all the bits and pieces into 4 huge bins, strapped the engine/tranny to a trailer, and flat-bedded the car to my trusty mechanic. I gave him my leftovers and some really nasty tasks. Like drilling out a jammed O2 sensor.

What would have taken me a month of Sundays, took him 3 short days. The beast came back better than ever.

Conclusions and observations:

The RS clutch components are fantastic. Very responsive, very rifle bolt action like. Surprisingly smooth too. When the car is stone cold, there is a slight chance of stalling if the revs drop too quickly. However, after a 10 min drive, there is no issue. Haven't tried it with the AC on though. I have not chipped it, and may not if the status quo holds.

The Golden Rod and new shift rod couplers have also made tremendous difference in shift quality.

I do get the requisite coffee grinder RS noise in second gear, low speed low RPM pulls. It's pretty race-y. I like it.

Cabin has a bit more mechanical noise which is very cool, but now some parts (rear dash, speakers) have exhibited some sympathetic resonance. I'll figure out the buzzing this winter. Perhaps some dynamat type stuff will solve it.

When the car returned, my kids insisted on family drives in Roary. They wanted to go everywhere in him. And I do mean everywhere. School runs, dance class, Costco, you name it.

So, it cost more than expected, took longer than planned, and it was worth it. I learned a lot about the car, and myself as a shade tree mechanic. Anything more than an afternoon, or requires the car to be off the road for more than a few days - I'm outsourcing that ****e. Life's too short to drive boring cars and have the 964 parked.

Oh, and my family has demanded I fix the sound system. So I better do as I'm told.

All the best,
Old 11-17-2013, 11:05 AM
jpar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's great that you finally got it all sorted out, enjoy! I plan on doing some sealing and an RS clutch over the winter as well. Is the coffee grinder noise a result of the clutch?
Old 11-17-2013, 11:38 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by The Stig
For example, the spark plug boots put the tin hat on it for me. 16 out of the 24 brass connectors stripped when removing the wire from the boot. Even after loads of lube and gentle twisting. It was pretty aggravating and demotivating.
I had the same thing happen to me recently. I'm guessing you actually planned to reuse the ends?

I was only dismantling the old set to install the grommets onto my new NGK wires/end, so the failure of the old wires was a moot point.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:27 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

I planned on saving the boots but the brass ends stripped off in the boot and couldn't get them out. Good thing they are plentiful to buy from other enthusiasts. I saved a bunch of money buying off a Pelicanite.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:34 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

some wise words which i appreciate - good for you rounding out the thread
Old 11-18-2013, 12:19 AM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

@jpar - I believe the grinding is caused when there is not enough torque against the entire clutch assembly. Likely the the springs on the clutch plate. I'm happy for someone more astute in these matters to correct me. The noise doesn't last long.

@HiWind - thank you for the kind words.

And thanks to everyone here on RL for the tremendous amount of advice, support, and encouragement.

Quick Reply: Some say, he should stick to driving 964s and he doesn't know how to wrench.