Sponsored by:

UK 964 Track Day Club

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 04:35 AM
Masher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BillyB
Masher - Club MSV cancelled it with a week to go. It sounds like Lotus made them an offer they couldn't refuse. Can't say I am too impressed with Club MSV so far!

Spark - interesting you were 105db static. With the same set up (decat and g-pipe) I was 109db measured at Bedford!
That'll explain all the lotusssss

RPM did a track day at Bedford the next week. A pal went to get a taster ride in some of their cars with a view to putting his 996 C4S on track some time. I went along for the social and have to say that RPM (no affiliation) are a great bunch of guys who create a good atmosphere and take some nice machinery along. They do a number of days so might be worth a look at their website.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:43 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Anglesey VS Donnington

This seems to be the most active UK thread at RL - hope that you can give me a bit of help. I have business in Manchester the week of 17 June. I am trying to get in some track time while there. I see there are events at Anglesey 15-16 June, and at Donnington 21 June. If I can only do one, what are your recommendations? Also, hiring a track car at Donnington seems to have a number of options; all I see at Anglesey is Caterhams (not bad, but would be nice to have a choice). Anyone know of a track car rental firm that services Anglesey?Thanks!
Old 02-19-2013, 04:03 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by facelvega
This seems to be the most active UK thread at RL - hope that you can give me a bit of help. I have business in Manchester the week of 17 June. I am trying to get in some track time while there. I see there are events at Anglesey 15-16 June, and at Donnington 21 June. If I can only do one, what are your recommendations? Also, hiring a track car at Donnington seems to have a number of options; all I see at Anglesey is Caterhams (not bad, but would be nice to have a choice). Anyone know of a track car rental firm that services Anglesey?Thanks!
I guess you've been looking at the Bookatrack site. Their Caterhams are well prepared and supported at each event, you really can't go wrong with them.

I know Javelin Trackdays used to have a couple of cars for hire, but you'll have to see what dates take your fancy.

I don't know any other organisers who rent cars, maybe someone else can chime in.....
Old 02-19-2013, 05:43 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Donington is probably a better experience and has a lot of history - it's hosted both F1 GPs and Moto GPs. It's also quicker to get to than Anglesey when travelling from Manchester. As Cheeksyboy says, you can't go wrong with a Bookatrack day and hiring one of their Caterhams.

The closest track to Manchester is Oulton Park (takes about 40 minutes by car). It's a much more challenging track than the other two IMO. Easytrack are running a day there on Tuesday 25th June. They don't have their own cars for hire but I think there is a guy that hires out a Lotus elise that I could put you in touch with. There's also a guy who hires a race prepped 924.

In all cases, the cost of the trackday plus the car hire is going to set you back the best part of £1,000.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:35 AM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheeksyboy
I guess you've been looking at the Bookatrack site. Their Caterhams are well prepared and supported at each event, you really can't go wrong with them....
The Caterhams look like fun. Have rented Loti at Spa and Ring, seen Caterhams there - they look light and responsive. I am guessing that like the Lotus, run out of steam a bit above 100mph?

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Donington is probably a better experience and has a lot of history - it's hosted both F1 GPs and Moto GPs. It's also quicker to get to than Anglesey when travelling from Manchester. As Cheeksyboy says, you can't go wrong with a Bookatrack day and hiring one of their Caterhams.

The closest track to Manchester is Oulton Park (takes about 40 minutes by car). It's a much more challenging track than the other two IMO. Easytrack are running a day there on Tuesday 25th June...
I was leaning toward Donnington if I can only make one outing. For timing, the best I can muster is the weekend before and after business meetings. The 25th is beyond my horizon. For Anglesey, it looks like a more modern, purpose built track - which could be better, or worse. How hard would you work to get in a second day at Anglesey?
Old 02-20-2013, 08:28 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

I was leaning toward Donnington if I can only make one outing. For timing, the best I can muster is the weekend before and after business meetings. The 25th is beyond my horizon. For Anglesey, it looks like a more modern, purpose built track - which could be better, or worse. How hard would you work to get in a second day at Anglesey?
It depends on what deal you can strike up on the car hire. In your situation I would e-mail Jonny at Bookatrack and ask him what price he could do for hiring a cat for both days. Tell him 964 owners Steve and Grant recommended them to you and you might get a better deal off him.

A cat will be great fun on both of those tracks and quicker than most other things that will be there on the day. See page 14 of this thread of my experience of hiring one for the first time. They are great fun!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:19 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

The Caterhams look like fun. Have rented Loti at Spa and Ring, seen Caterhams there - they look light and responsive. I am guessing that like the Lotus, run out of steam a bit above 100mph?

Cetrhams, and Westfields, are as aero as bricks, so yes...slow down above 100...but up to that they really fly. It's the direction changing their best at due to low weight/inertia...same goes for braking.

Donington is great to drive with plenty of elevation change and some interesting corners. It's quite flowing, but not as good as Oulton IMHO.

Not driven Anglesey yet...maybe next year!

Last edited by Cheeksyboy; 02-21-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:50 AM
BillyB
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

With ClubMSV having cancelled my 2nd attempt to get on track (Bedford) I am looking for options in March. Javelin are running a day at Snetterton on 17 March. What is Snetterton like for a noobie driver?
Old 02-22-2013, 08:21 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

With ClubMSV having cancelled my 2nd attempt to get on track (Bedford) I am looking for options in March. Javelin are running a day at Snetterton on 17 March. What is Snetterton like for a noobie driver?
Good question, that was one of the two tracks I had to cancel last year when my Westy's fuel pump died.....

After Spa, I'd love to give Snett a go....too much of a risk the week before!
Old 02-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Masher
Instructor

Snetterton is fantastic in the dry and par for the course in the wet... but... I find it really greasy in that intermediate period. The water somehow sits on the surface.
That said, I've done 7 or 8 track days now and two have been at Snetterton and I'm hooked. Great mix of speed and twist on the 300 circuit - is this what you're planning to do?

Bear in mind it's flat circuit so no exciting undulations but the run off appears decent and the bomb hole is a hoot.

If it turns wet careful on turn 1... It's no fun spinning like a top at 70mph, believe me!

Go for it!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:06 PM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

So the RS trackday @ Oulton Park is coming up soon.......are any other 964s going to be doing this? I have booked accom near the track thurs and fri eve and plan to spend sat eve in snowdonia on way back.

Just watching some of boxseys YouTube videos around oulton
Old 02-24-2013, 04:44 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bigunit_271078
So the RS trackday @ Oulton Park is coming up soon.......are any other 964s going to be doing this? I have booked accom near the track thurs and fri eve and plan to spend sat eve in snowdonia on way back.

Just watching some of boxseys YouTube videos around oulton
I should be along, possibly in mine...but only spectating
Old 02-24-2013, 04:54 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Other 964s on track will be oldtimer, asbi, cuppie, Ian964 and h____
Old 02-24-2013, 03:02 PM
clinchy993
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I might have a ride up to Oulton the 964 is finished