Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY DAUGHTERS FIRST PORSCHE

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 08:02 AM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Opo you should have gotten her a cab then you could really have a Barbie Porsche. Here mine with the Rubystone interior just missing the carrera script.
Attached Images   
Old 05-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by 911porschefan
Opo you should have gotten her a cab then you could really have a Barbie Porsche. Here mine with the Rubystone interior just missing the carrera script.
LOVE IT!!!
Old 05-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Nice thread. Was this car for sale in the DFW area? I think I remember seeing a similar GPW tiptronic car listed.

When/if I start a family, I would like to get them behind the wheel as young as possible w/ karting and other forms of motorsport so they can understand speed and car control at a young age. I can only hope I'm able to raise them as automobile enthusiast.

As for the 964 not being a fast car, well, the stats on paper don't tell the whole story.*

I autocrossed a modern FWD car w/ a big rear swaybar for several years and thought I knew all about driving fast and making a car rotate and use/catch oversteer situations.*

Well, my ability proved to be very insufficient once I got behind the wheel of the 964 at autocross. *Even now, after 5 events in the past yr, I still find myself going through cone gates **** first at least a couple of times per event. I was buffing cone marks off the rear bumper the other night, lol.

Unlike modern cars, this car just doesn't forgive poor driving inputs, at all.

Have her do some autocross or other performance driving events where she can find and learn the limits safely.

Even if you don't think she'll be out trying to be a hoon on the streets, you never know when she might need to pull a emergency maneuver out on the expressway. That isn't the best time to be introduced to rear-engine handling dynamics.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Dryfly57
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I find something real funny. "Opo" never asked for any of your opinions weather or not some of you think a mature young woman should receive a P-car.
What we have here is a Proud Father that worked his butt off to be able to gift a wonderful piece of machinery and wanted to share it with fellow enthusiast's.
Just my thoughts!!!!!
Old 05-19-2012, 04:23 PM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
Nice thread. Was this car for sale in the DFW area? I think I remember seeing a similar GPW tiptronic car listed.

When/if I start a family, I would like to get them behind the wheel as young as possible w/ karting and other forms of motorsport so they can understand speed and car control at a young age. I can only hope I'm able to raise them as automobile enthusiast.

As for the 964 not being a fast car, well, the stats on paper don't tell the whole story.*

I autocrossed a modern FWD car w/ a big rear swaybar for several years and thought I knew all about driving fast and making a car rotate and use/catch oversteer situations.*

Well, my ability proved to be very insufficient once I got behind the wheel of the 964 at autocross. *Even now, after 5 events in the past yr, I still find myself going through cone gates **** first at least a couple of times per event. I was buffing cone marks off the rear bumper the other night, lol.

Unlike modern cars, this car just doesn't forgive poor driving inputs, at all.

Have her do some autocross or other performance driving events where she can find and learn the limits safely.

Even if you don't think she'll be out trying to be a hoon on the streets, you never know when she might need to pull a emergency maneuver out on the expressway. That isn't the best time to be introduced to rear-engine handling dynamics.
No offense but what made you think driving a FWD car with a big rear sway made you know anything about controlling slip angles?

I campaigned a FWD turbo saab for many years in both tarmac and rally situations, and even with stiffer springs out back, and a big sway you always fight the cars natural will to understeer... you learn tricks like counterover steering the car with ebrake input if necessary, but its worlds apart from driving fast in a FR, or a RR car... You lift a FR or RR at the limit, and your out of it, you lift a FF at the limit, its prob cuz its understeering on you anyways and alittle rotation is gonna help your slip angle anyways!! The diff. between trail breaking a FR/ RR and a FF is night and day, and prob why you can't keep the highlights pointed the right direction... Heres a lil tip, next time your getting ready to track in make sure you've slowed down enough to take the apex, and if the rear starts to go, keep your foot in it and steer with your eyes

Opo I seriously hope you send you Daughter to Bondurants just to prove a point haha... if anything she'll be faster than most boys in their 911's cuz she prob isn't 6" 250
Old 05-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Derek Pedersen
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by screamingflat6
Thanks utah,,,, could you do the mirrors headlamp rings the script and the centres of the wheels with a silver rim.(please)
This look I have seen on a euro rs,,she could do the rs door cards with the rubystone pulls rubystone belts.
She could have a rubystone red half cage and front strutt brace.......

hell that oe car has become a rs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Gaz,,
done

Old 05-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by utah914
done

Beewwwwtiiifulllll....
Old 05-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

lol, thank you captain obvious for pointing out what I was already pointing out (i.e. It didn't prepare me).
Old 05-19-2012, 09:34 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Well, as some have said before,

I would highly recommend you have your daughter learn to track the car and with an instructor, and learn to drive the car. For reasons others have already stated.

That said, wish you both well with it!

Take care, all!
Old 05-19-2012, 10:49 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The headlight and mirrors are too much...

Should stop at the wheels and C-stripe
Old 05-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe seatbelts and Gauges too.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:52 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by utah914
done

Originally Posted by Speedyellow993
The headlight and mirrors are too much...

Should stop at the wheels and C-stripe
I agree, we are going to do the calipers and the carrera2 emblem and than go from there
Old 05-20-2012, 01:44 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Originally Posted by Vandit
lol, thank you captain obvious for pointing out what I was already pointing out (i.e. It didn't prepare me).
I was pointing out the fact you knew so little about driving you THOUGHT it would prepare you, so really what you think of any one else driving abilities is probably wrong as well

Also if you're losing the tail as much as you seem to be on the auto-x track I might suggests some DE's or driving school for your street driving as well, what happens if you need to do an emergency lane change, esp if its not on a flat piece of asphalt which your already spinning out on
Old 05-20-2012, 02:47 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Old 05-20-2012, 04:47 AM
hamah
Pro

Does anyone know what happened to the forum formally known as "Rennlist Discussion Forums > Air/Oil Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 964 Forum"?

I was sort of hoping that it still existed somewhere so that I could learn new things about my 964 and contribute to others looking for "technical" information on theirs.

Somehow this forum seems to have degraded into a place of bragging and/or insults.

Sigh...guess I'll head on over to Pelican forums to see if there still exists some decent and useful conversations over there.

Quick Reply: MY DAUGHTERS FIRST PORSCHE