Sponsored by:

MY DAUGHTERS FIRST PORSCHE

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 01:55 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
I don't get why so much focus on the negatives of youth. NOT being a parent, I can't relate personally. HOWEVER, if I had a teen I'd do everything in my power to interest him/her in my hobby (profession at times), and would fully expect behavior in proportion to responsibility extended. What other more irresponsible parents do, I couldn't really control But again, speaking as a non-parent.

On the flip side, I guess I fall on deaf ears in being the lone wolf here who was fortunate to have one of these young. Somewhat of a leap of faith on my parent's part to assist me in getting that 911 before I could totally afford it on my own. But I think in the nearly 32 years that have elapsed, I've been able to "pay back" the community a thousand fold or more. And damn right I'll be boastful about it.

Funny that I ran into a guy in a Lowe's parking lot in Roseville up by my mom's this morning. Spotted a beautiful orange '71T Targa. Owner was coming out just as we were parking. Turns out the car was his neighbor's when he was a kid, and he had been detailing it for the guy starting when it was a couple of years old. Had the chance to buy it when the owner was getting his new '77 (poor guy), but he was a little too cash poor. Finally got it in '83. Has had a couple of 930s along the way, he said. But he was entrusted to drive the car as a teen, and didn't wreck it.

Or maybe it's only these damn young kids who don't appreciate anything? Might explain my cousin's son in USF2000, doing reasonably well, and is two steps below Indycar. At 19. Which was the age Vettel got his ride in the Toro Rosso, if I recall.......
I would have never have even CONSIDERED a 911, let alone any porsche, if it hadn't have been for my neighbor when I was 17-18. He had a 911 RSA, let me drive it, and that was it for me, bought a 914 three weeks later (couldn't afford the big boy yet) restored it over the next 2-3 years.

Anyways you got a lucky daughter, you're a smart man getting her this as the weekend car! college is always rough on cars, too many kids who don't give a F.... Including me since I rallied my saab, and most plastic bits were held on with zip ties, duct tape, and magic!

You know a lot of you guys are worried she'll wreck it, or damage it. A) I'm sure shes a fine driver if her dads rocking 911's B) its an auto anyways
Old 05-14-2012, 02:06 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mfyoung1086
I would have never have even CONSIDERED a 911, let alone any porsche, if it hadn't have been for my neighbor when I was 17-18. He had a 911 RSA, let me drive it, and that was it for me, bought a 914 three weeks later (couldn't afford the big boy yet) restored it over the next 2-3 years.

Anyways you got a lucky daughter, you're a smart man getting her this as the weekend car! college is always rough on cars, too many kids who don't give a F.... Including me since I rallied my saab, and most plastic bits were held on with zip ties, duct tape, and magic!

You know a lot of you guys are worried she'll wreck it, or damage it. A) I'm sure shes a fine driver if her dads rocking 911's B) its an auto anyways
Glad to see you got in early too!

I didn't have a neighbor who got me into Porsches--it was a high school teacher. He had a T5 Super 90 Roadster, and brought Panorama and The Nugget (GGR local newsletter) to class. Saw how much fun everyone was having at these Porsche events, thought it had to be better than doing TSD rallies in a Scirocco. Once I got the 911, the "rallies" ended up being near-open road contests under the Monte Carlo and Pan Am formats, often being sunset to sunrise. I had more than enough opportunity to stuff the car at any given time, but ended up breaking the engine. Which is where the whole hard mechanical thing started--the job with the import/race shop, my own Porsche/BMW shop out of college, and the 911 engine/transaxle (and slope/widebody conversions) thing during law school.

Again, you never know where the seed planted matures.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:19 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats to her - lucky girl and beautiful car.

Marc
Old 05-14-2012, 02:36 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Originally Posted by race911
Glad to see you got in early too!

I didn't have a neighbor who got me into Porsches--it was a high school teacher. He had a T5 Super 90 Roadster, and brought Panorama and The Nugget (GGR local newsletter) to class. Saw how much fun everyone was having at these Porsche events, thought it had to be better than doing TSD rallies in a Scirocco. Once I got the 911, the "rallies" ended up being near-open road contests under the Monte Carlo and Pan Am formats, often being sunset to sunrise. I had more than enough opportunity to stuff the car at any given time, but ended up breaking the engine. Which is where the whole hard mechanical thing started--the job with the import/race shop, my own Porsche/BMW shop out of college, and the 911 engine/transaxle (and slope/widebody conversions) thing during law school.

Again, you never know where the seed planted matures.
Haha yeah I was getting into pre-running before I got into my 914 and road racing, I had a ford ranger ranger with some bigger tires and slightly better suspension (4cyl 5spd) that I liked to bang around the desert here in AZ.

I've driven a lot of cars since that first time in the RSA, but nothings ever felt as good as a porsche, some come close, but its not the same too me

I actually ended getting back into rally during college, the 914 was becoming too big a headache when I blew the motor, and I had an 82 saab I was building up (which I than broke the crank on) and ended up rallying my 98 turbo 900 instead, but hey the seed never died, and now I got my 85 Carrera! haha
Old 05-14-2012, 03:37 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I often think about what kind of car I will buy my daughter for her first car. I have been thinking it would probably be a Boxster, but I have a lot of time to think about it (she's 6).

Anyway, I had a dad that bought me a pretty quick little car - a brand new, Tornado Red VW GTI - back on my 17th b-day in 1986. Man, I loved that car! And I got that car because I was really a good kid. I never had any problems, didn't drink, smoke, do drugs, hang out with the wrong crowd...trustworthy and responsible. For all of that, I earned the use of my dad's cars for weekends. I drove a 1987 944 Turbo, a 1986 535i stick, and a 1989 750il 12 cyllinder. All that being said, and as responsible as I was, I know in my heart of hearts that I shouldn't have been driving those machines unsupervised. I didn't think I was being irresponsible - I really believed that (by osmosis) I was a great driver, better than anyone else my age. I scared myself on many occasions, like when the 951's tail started to come around under boost around a turn on a tight back road. The 750 had a rediculously high and usable top speed, and we'll leave it at that. I could thrill 5 people at once in the 535. Anyway, my point is that fast cars have a way of making great kids do irresponsible things...not bad, per se, just irresponsible. It's a wonder I didn't kill myself in the GTI, too.

I think bringing kids into the hobby is awesome. A 964 is a great choice, supervised. I would strongly suggest the following activities to introduce your 16 year old to, to enjoy her car all the more, and in this order...

1. BMW CCA Street Survival School (1 day, inexpensive, all young drivers, tons of fun)
2. A PCA Car Control Clinic
3. A season of PCA (or other club) autocross
4. Copious amount of PCA drivers education

Best of luck to you and your daughter in sharing this great hobby.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Opo - The car looks great. How lucky you are to have a teenager (a dughter no less) who enjoys spending time with her dad. I may hit you up for parenting advice as my little ones grow up!

Cheers!
Old 05-15-2012, 12:53 AM
sfranks
AutoX

Smile

WOW!!! What a great graduation present, i wish my parents had been so kind! I hope she loves it... my daughter is only two, but everytime she walks into the garage she says "my porsche"!! just makes you smile
Old 05-15-2012, 01:38 AM
Laguna Seca
Instructor

Any parent that gives a teenage girl a 250 hp sportscar with a motor hanging off the rear axle, without proper training, would not get my vote for parent of the year! The best advice I could give would be to listen to 2002M3Drew. This thread is getting old...can we move on now?
Old 05-15-2012, 09:50 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Bates
Opo - The car looks great. How lucky you are to have a teenager (a dughter no less) who enjoys spending time with her dad. I may hit you up for parenting advice as my little ones grow up!

Cheers!
+964!

I've been waiting, thinking of the right (thumbs up) comment, and Bates nailed it. Being a part of your kids life as they grow is what it's all about. I have a 9 yr/ld son and a 5 yr/ld daughter and like everyone says...time flies.

PS: Plus it's smart, I'd have an extra 964 around to pull a part off of every now and then.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:23 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Laguna Seca
Any parent that gives a teenage girl a 250 hp sportscar with a motor hanging off the rear axle, without proper training, would not get my vote for parent of the year! The best advice I could give would be to listen to 2002M3Drew. This thread is getting old...can we move on now?
I apologize if this thread is getting old for you, it was never my intention for it to be a BORING thread, you might want to remove yourself from this thread because it just got started I will be posting pictures of things that we r going to do together to the car, she wants her calipers painted PINK and we might try a pink CARRERA stripe, plus what ever else we can think of, so you will be seeing plenty of more pictures and comments.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

@ 2002m3drew, thank you for advice sir, we are thinking of the doing the PCA drivers education
@bates, any time sir..
@911jetta, moments with our kids are priceless, so enjoy each moment that you can with them, cause they grow up quick
@sfranks, wow 2! And she's already claiming it, well you know what that means , that's her PORSCHE
Old 05-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Opo
I apologize if this thread is getting old for you, it was never my intention for it to be a BORING thread, you might want to remove yourself from this thread because it just got started I will be posting pictures of things that we r going to do together to the car, she wants her calipers painted PINK and we might try a pink CARRERA stripe, plus what ever else we can think of, so you will be seeing plenty of more pictures and comments.
How about wrapping the car on pink 3m?

Congrats and please teach Her to respect and drive it properly!!!!

245 horsepower is not such a big deal. Especially when put through a TiP tranny. Putting it into perspective a new model Honda Accord V6 or Toyota Camery could out run it. The only concern would be the lack of PSM and the *** engine.

GL!!
Old 05-15-2012, 10:51 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Opo
...she wants her calipers painted PINK and we might try a pink CARRERA stripe, plus what ever else we can think of, so you will be seeing plenty of more pictures and comments.
I like it!

Calling Utah914...time to PhotoChop some pink Carrera side stripes:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=19642
Old 05-15-2012, 10:55 AM
ja78911sc
Pro

Opo, great response. Maybe we should switch gears

How many miles on the car? Any maintenance items that need addressed?
Old 05-15-2012, 10:55 AM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Opo
I will be posting pictures of things that we r going to do together to the car, she wants her calipers painted PINK and we might try a pink CARRERA stripe, plus what ever else we can think of, so you will be seeing plenty of more pictures and comments.
You need to post in the "Carrera Stripe" thread on this forum! Utah is a God with P-shop, and you'll be able to see what the pink stripe looks like! Great idea, by the way!

Quick Reply: MY DAUGHTERS FIRST PORSCHE