Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 maintenance and TPC supercharger upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

on another post - there were people saying that the brace wont fit a 964 with power steering since the lines get in the way - you obviously have had no problem - once you drive it - could you post whether it makes a difference and whether you have any noise from the lines banging or rubbing under there? how close are the tolerances and were there any issues with fit?
Old 11-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
....once you drive it - could you post whether it makes a difference and whether you have any noise from the lines banging or rubbing under there? how close are the tolerances and were there any issues with fit?
Yes, I will post comments once I start driving the car again and I will be watching for any rubbing issues.

The blue arrowed line was the one that was the closest and in the way, especially where it crossed the green arrowed line. I did have to bend the green arrowed line a few mm away so that I had room to bend the blue arrowed line about 3-4 mm away to allow the brace to slip in. Once in place, there is about 5 mm between the blue arrowed line and the brace so there should be no issues there (nothing in this area should be moving anywhere anyway).

As it sits now, the closest part is in the centre by the pink arrow where the brace is only 2 mm away from the connection of the line to the steering rack. This is the main area I want to watch. Although it looks close by the orange arrow, there is lots of space (more than 1 cm).

To get the brace it, I slid it in facing the wrong way (ie. part number facing car) from the drivers side to clear the lines and then rotated it the correct way (ie. part number facing away from the car).

Marc
Old 11-21-2011, 05:40 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
...Redline Lightweight Shockproof gear oil...
How was the shifting action with a straight Shockproof fill? It's not exactly recommended for syncromesh transmissions...

"Designed for wet sump transmissions and differentials with splash lubrication" (Redline LW Shockproof page) ['Course, the other page says this: "Appropriate coefficient of friction for most manual transmission synchronizers (other's synthetic gear oils are often too slippery for proper synchro engagement)".

I like the idea of the Shockproof in my tranny, but don't want to compromise synchro function....
Old 11-22-2011, 01:49 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
How was the shifting action with a straight Shockproof fill? It's not exactly recommended for syncromesh transmissions...
Well, the shift action was more "positive" but it also seemed that it took just a hair longer to engage the synchro's.

That might have been the fluid, the new synchro's, or the fact the synchro's were steel but it did seem different than before the rebuild.

Marc
Old 11-29-2011, 12:18 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Okay, the weight is less but I don't think it will be as aerodynamic. :)

A little more progress over the last week but work has been getting in the way.

I got the front wheel well covers off, the passenger side rocker panel off as well as the front splitter and the front bumper. This gives me access to the oil lines to and from the cooler as well as access to the cooler so I can change all the parts as well as install a second oil cooler where the a/c stuff used to be. All the connections have been hosed with Liquid Wrench and I am just waiting on some parts to get to that job.

Tonight I degreased the whole front end and got the "Metal Ready" stuff on in preparation for touching up a few small rust spots with POR-15. I also removed the intensive washer bottle, wipe washer bottle, horns, and headlight washers.

Marc
Old 12-04-2011, 02:41 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Got the oil lines and cooler out today - one fixture was frozen so the line twisted as I removed it. I was afraid to Dremel it considering I had put a thick coat of Liquid Wrench on it and did not want a fire. I just used some huge bolt cutters to cut the line and then undid it easily.

The thermostat mount was busted before my wrenching so I'll replace that.

Only busted one stud (lower rear for the oil cooler) so I'll have to drill that out and replace with a bolt.

Access to the ceramic resistor certainly is easy now!

Marc
Old 12-04-2011, 02:41 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

So weight should really be down now but I don't think the engine would run for long.

Marc
Old 12-04-2011, 02:49 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Sadly, once I took the rocker panel off I found this...

So now that the oil lines are off and out of the way, I plan to cap off the oil lines by the thermostat to keep the crap out and trailer the car to the local body shop to get that bit of rust repaired professionally.

My weak mechanical skills are far superior to my even weaker body work skills!

Marc
Old 12-04-2011, 03:59 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

Bummer on rust on there Marc, good call to take it to professionals, I wouldn't touch body work as well.

Last edited by RicardoD; 12-05-2011 at 01:51 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:09 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Got the front passenger wheel well all degreased today and I'll prep for minor paint touch-up tomorrow.

Oh yeah - and proof I got my Ruf package for the doubter.

Marc
Old 12-06-2011, 07:31 AM
Duque
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 12-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hopefully, that will shut the "doubter" up,......

I have his oil cooler kit here as well.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:01 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Marc, we should have happier engines come summer.

For a fact, I had to back off many times on the track due to increased oil temps.

Neat stuff - I'm spoiling myself this winter and having the boys install everything. Let's us know how the rest goes for you.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Hopefully, that will shut the "doubter" up,......

I have his oil cooler kit here as well.
Yes, thanks again, Steve.

Everything arrived safely and well packaged.

Question: since my car is 95% track, do you suggest leaving the fans on the oil coolers or removing them? Threads here by track guys suggest that the fans are needed for stop-and-go traffic but not for a track car and can actually impede air flow at track speeds. Your thoughts?

Marc
Old 12-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by KaiB
Marc, we should have happier engines come summer.

For a fact, I had to back off many times on the track due to increased oil temps.

Neat stuff - I'm spoiling myself this winter and having the boys install everything. Let's us know how the rest goes for you.
I'm a little jealous but I enjoy the wrenching (and wenching ) as therapy.

Marc

Quick Reply: C4 maintenance and TPC supercharger upgrade!