Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

London 964 - Nurburgring and Spa weekend 2012

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 08:51 AM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a must have really....do both on organised trackdays. Anything else just doesnt sound sensible
Old 08-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

I did the Ring and Spa thing myself this year with a mate and we risked it at the Ring on a tourist day, kept our eyes on our mirrors (bikers are suicidal) and drove within our limits. We only did a few laps so weren't in for breaking any records. However, there were numerous stoppages which shut the track and it pays to wait when it reopens as all the 'heros' go flat out and then the track often ended up being shut again!

I'd love to do a properly organised day at the Ring where you've like minded responsible trackdayers and not the locals in their Ring specials blasting past you or harrassing you out of the way.

As has already been pointed out the roads around the Ring, and those between it and Spa, are equally terrific to drive.

Spa was on a day organised by Javelin Trackdays and cost about £220 if I remember (book early price). In many ways I preferred it, Eau Rouge is awesome.

Nothing beats a steak at Pistenklaus after a day on track, washed down by local brew!

Count me in for a 2012 visit if I'm permitted, seeing as I'm not part of the London crew!
Old 08-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bigunit_271078
sounds like a must have really....do both on organised trackdays. Anything else just doesnt sound sensible
Andrew, what do you think of this? Looks well organised and reasonably priced?

http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/bcatalo..._and_tours.php

Originally Posted by Cheeksyboy

Count me in for a 2012 visit if I'm permitted, seeing as I'm not part of the London crew!
More the merrier
Old 08-19-2011, 07:28 AM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

Hi frank - Porscheshop one looks pretty good....(cut and past the details below for others to see). I spoke to the Nurburgring experience and will put an option from them up as well for a bit of debate. Just waiting on some details. Given everyone has different requirements I am sure some will favour the Porscheshop type and some will favour other alternatives.

2011 prices
£499 IF BOOKED BEFORE 01/01/2011
Normal cost £599 if booked after 01/01/2011
per car (Driver + 1 passenger) Extra passengers @£99 each

Summary
A full safety briefing on driving the Nurburgring
3 Nights b&b in a 4 star hotel
Return ferry crossing
A tour of the beautiful Eifle region
A history tour of the Nurburgring
Support car with you on the whole trip.
Starting at 6am at the Porscheshop Halesowen,
With pickup points along the way
M40 Warwick services (south) 7:00am, Oxford services 8:00am,
M25.Clacket lane (anticlockwise) 9:30
Folkstone services J11 M20 10:30
Dover Ferry port 10:45
Old 08-19-2011, 08:08 AM
cuse92
Instructor

Anything nearing that description and I'm in! Sounds amazing.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:17 AM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

Update from Dino at NurburgringUK. He is the leader for the event and has done over 300 laps of the ring and laps around the 8mins 30 region. he suggested the 4 Nations tour they do would meet our requirements which is scheduled for May 2012. Price includes a full trackday at Spa

Folkestone>Koln>Stuttgart>Black Forest>Colmar>Grand Ballon>Alsace>Eifel>Nurburg>Ardennes>Spa>Folkestone

MAY 2012

What’s included:

• Return Eurotunnel crossings
• 4 night/5 day event
• Hotel accommodation each night
• Breakfasts
• Detailed itinerary
• Guided support throughout
• Route directions per vehicle
• Michael Schumacher Group Go-karting event
• Entrance to Porsche Museum including guided tour
• 1 days access to the Nurburgring Nordschleife (public day)
• Fantastic driving routes
• Exclusive all day trackday event at Spa Francorchamps Circuit, Belgium
• Luxury accommodation at Spa Francorchamps
• Circuit safety briefings

Thursday morning Depart Folkestone via Eurotunnel to Calais

Thursday afternoon Drive to Michael Schumacher Museum & Kart Center
30 min Go-Karting group race event
Drive to Koln
Evening sightseeing in Koln
Followed by dinner and evenings entertainment
Overnight stay in Koln

Friday morning Drive to Porsche Museum in Stuttgart

Friday afternoon Guided tour of Porsche Museum, Stuttgart
Drive through Black Forest to Colmar, France
Dinner & overnight stay in Colmar

Saturday morning Enjoy the mountain roads in the Vosges Mountains, France (fantastic views and driving)
Saturday afternoon Drive through France then to Germany via Luxembourg and arrive Nurburg

Saturday evening Dinner in Nurburg
Overnight stay in Nurburg

Sunday Enjoy the Nurburgring Nordschleife Circuit

Sunday late afternoon Depart Nurburg and drive to Spa Francorchamps via scenic route
Overnight stay in Spa Francorchamps (4* luxury hotel)

Monday Trackday at Spa Francorchamps Circuit – Belgium

Monday late afternoon Depart Spa Francorchamps for return Eurotunnel to Folkestone

Monday evening Arrive Folkestone

TOTAL MILEAGE 1300 miles

Provisional 2012 Cost:
Cost per car/driver £1149
Price per passenger £ 649

Here is also a link to some of the guys photographs from this years trip http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/t...%20MAY%202011/

Some feedback from him - assuming people want to do both Spa and Nurburgring on same trip.

1. Almost impossible to organise back to back "trackdays" at Spa and Nurburgring
2. If he had to chose between tracks he would chose to do the Ring
3. He said trackdays at the Ring are quite daunting and he has spent a lot of time on these days with his indiactor on letting people pass
4. On the 4 nations tour last year many use the Ring as "downtime" from driving as lots of miles had been undertaken by this point.
5. He said its best to drive within your limits and to enjoy it - less chance of anything going wrong
5. He reckons 2012 dates will be released in Dec this year approximately and 50% deposit initially would secure a spot (with 50% remaining payable 6 weeks before the departure date)
6. For those who must have insurance on the Ring - Dino can assist with track car hire (easily sorted online though)
Old 08-19-2011, 09:12 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Sounds incredible. The cost sounds fair/ reflective of whats provided.
Still seriously expensive though!

I think either would be an awesome experience.

Thanks for organising all of this Andrew!
Old 08-19-2011, 10:18 AM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

Agree - either would be good...both have pros and cons really. Obviously the latter does include a trackday at Spa but the extra driver cost does seem a tad high (relative to Porsche shop). I do like the sound of option 2 though and if i can talk the missus out of it....it will save me some cash for ring laps LOL
Old 08-22-2011, 01:37 PM
cuse92
Instructor

They both sound good, but a couple of thoughts...

- The Thursday sounds like a bit of a waste on a focussed Porsche group like this - go-karting doesn't do it for me, and I've been to Koln and cathedral aside, although it is a nice city it isn't worth a sightseeing stop.

- Driving all the way to Stuttgart (which is three hours south of Nurburg) is a bit silly just to do the museum - it is hundreds of kilometres out of the way down not-beautiful autobahns. On the other hand, Calais/Eurotunnel - Spa - Nurburgring is more or less a straight shot, and by all accounts Spa and Ring both have lots of beautiful driving roads nearby...

- The Porsche museum (which I just visited in July) took even a complete Porschefile like me less than two hours to completely cover.

- If the factory tour is also included it might possibly be worth it to go all the way to Stuttgart (by then the 991 will be in full production so the full factory tour will be available again), and the Mercedes museum is just down the road and is amazing.

But personally I'd rather have an extra day or two to soak in the Nurburgring/Spa culture and drive the surrounding areas, particularly the 'ring...

Just my 2p...
Old 08-22-2011, 02:31 PM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the insight Ben. Its always helpful when people have been and done some of these things as I havent.

As Boxsey said...there is the option of Bookatrack trackday at Spa in early March and we can always look into booking the rest ourselves.

We would just need additional:
- Return Eurotunnel crossings
- Hotel accom every night
- 1 days access to the Nurburgring Nordschleife (public day)
- European breakdown cover (if people dont have it aleady)

We could then do it in 4 days i reckon and set our own itinerary. I dont think the above will be too onerous to organise to be fair.

What does everyone think?

AC
Old 08-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Sounds great Andrew. All your organising into this is appreciated.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:31 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds good to me. I'd go along with Ben's comments. I'd be pretty happy with a euro tunnel, day at spa , day at nurburgring (maybe only one depending how my health is) and a day leisurely travel time each way.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:14 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be worth looking at 911uks itinery?

They have an annual Ring trip, usually at the end of May, I think they made Spa as well this year

Planning

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=61365

Feedback post trip

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=63652
Old 08-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Barty964rst
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Have been on half a dozen 911uk trips to the Ring. Undoubtedly
The best trips with a good mix of personalities, cars and interests. Only cost is Tunnel, Accom, Steak on the Stone, Beer and Jaggermeister. If time allows maybe a couple of laps over the 3 days or so. Up to 25 cars on one trip, truly memorable.
In fact there is one this weekend!
Old 08-23-2011, 08:17 AM
cuse92
Instructor

Originally Posted by bigunit_271078
Thanks for the insight Ben. Its always helpful when people have been and done some of these things as I havent.

As Boxsey said...there is the option of Bookatrack trackday at Spa in early March and we can always look into booking the rest ourselves.

We would just need additional:
- Return Eurotunnel crossings
- Hotel accom every night
- 1 days access to the Nurburgring Nordschleife (public day)
- European breakdown cover (if people dont have it aleady)

We could then do it in 4 days i reckon and set our own itinerary. I dont think the above will be too onerous to organise to be fair.

What does everyone think?

AC
Either this or the Porscheshop option (not sure what we'd do about Spa there) both sound good to me.

My one reservation is about public days on the 'Ring, all the stories about crazy bikers and locals and all the stop/start. But that is based on the experience of other Rennlisters rather than my own, so it could well be fine and it is certainly not a deal-killer for me if we do a public day. Anyway, we may not have much of a choice - it may end up that we really crack the whip at Spa and the 'Ring trip is more for the experience than the lap times, which will still be a great time.

Great job putting all this together Andrew!

Quick Reply: London 964 - Nurburgring and Spa weekend 2012