Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

London 964 - Nurburgring and Spa weekend 2012

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 03:38 PM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ben - good to hear mate and nice to meet you as well. Your PS car is the nuts!!! I think the insurance under the guise of trackdays is definitely worth looking into and organised trackdays through bookatrack or the like at both venues are probably preferred options given it will reduce the volume of cars and the randomness of driving standards . I will discuss with Classicline (my insurer) and see what the options are.

Please send through any research from your end as well.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulW_964
Saying that I could try selling it as 'a Spa' trip, although she may get annoyed, expecting to have a towel wrapped around her head and instead gets handed a crash helmet!

Originally Posted by cuse92
I'd be too nervous to have much fun if I had no cover at all ...
+964

Originally Posted by bigunit_271078
I think the insurance under the guise of trackdays is definitely worth looking into .

Taken straight from James' link posted previously:

Buying track day cover

Track day insurance companies can provide insurance for you on Nurburgring TF sessions and track days

Track day insurance is expensive (starting at the higher of £250/day or 1.5% of the value of your car), and apply high excesses and low maximum payouts (for example, an excess of £5,000 and a maximum payout of £20,000). The price for insurance usually decreases for two or more days, on the basis that if you didn't crash the first day, you're less likely to crash on subsequent days. The top five UK companies in this field on Google are:

MIS
REIS
Everitt Boles
Competition Car Insurance
OAMPS
These policies may include damage to the track, but almost never include third party damages to other cars or drivers. If you can be blamed for a multi-car crash on the Ring (say due to an oil leak from your car), the crash damage can easily run into hundreds of thousands of euros. Add in the potential for damages to other people and it could easily reach millions of euros to settle a claim. Add in the cross-border element and it becomes easy to see why insurers have zero interest in covering Touristfahrten driving for a small fraction of their customers.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:06 PM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

thanks frank was just about to post that up myself. I will check with my insurer (Classicline) to see if they will cover "trackdays" at these 2 venues.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:44 AM
cuse92
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
Taken straight from James' link posted previously:

Buying track day cover

Track day insurance companies can provide insurance for you on Nurburgring TF sessions and track days

Track day insurance is expensive (starting at the higher of £250/day or 1.5% of the value of your car), and apply high excesses and low maximum payouts (for example, an excess of £5,000 and a maximum payout of £20,000). The price for insurance usually decreases for two or more days, on the basis that if you didn't crash the first day, you're less likely to crash on subsequent days. The top five UK companies in this field on Google are:

MIS
REIS
Everitt Boles
Competition Car Insurance
OAMPS
These policies may include damage to the track, but almost never include third party damages to other cars or drivers. If you can be blamed for a multi-car crash on the Ring (say due to an oil leak from your car), the crash damage can easily run into hundreds of thousands of euros. Add in the potential for damages to other people and it could easily reach millions of euros to settle a claim. Add in the cross-border element and it becomes easy to see why insurers have zero interest in covering Touristfahrten driving for a small fraction of their customers.
Wow... 1.5% of the value of my car is what I pay for a full year of "normal" insurance! And with deductibles/caps like that it may be more economic to take my chances... There's no way that I'd drive all the way back to the Ring just to drive someone else's pork so I'll just need to figure out a way...will let everyone know the results of my personal research...
Old 08-10-2011, 09:53 AM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

Ben - I think this ends up being the end result....people end up taking the punt as insurance or not there seems to be an element of risk with all policies...u just pay for the privilege for some reduction in that residual exposure.

As it also states on the Ben Lovejoy website. To me the last line is the key....

"Even if your policy appears to be OK, I think you have to be prepared for your insurer to use any excuse they can to avoid paying-out if you end up taking your car home in a couple of carrier bags. At the very least, it is likely to be a long and expensive battle.

Consider yourself uninsured and drive/ride sensibly and within your limits"

Thanks for keeping us updated.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Vic_S
Racer

The 'ring has been on my list for years...i'll have to see if I can get capex approval
Old 08-10-2011, 11:00 AM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

Vic S - pitch it as an ongoing expense rather than CAPEX...might increase likelihood of getting it past the CFO
Old 08-10-2011, 01:14 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I don't bother with trackday insurance because I would have to do substantial damage for it to be worth the high premium. Hence, why I also drive within my limits. However, the potential costs of an accident at the 'ring are huge in comparison to a normal track because of the extra costs of barrier repair, track closure, etc....which is why I won't do the 'ring (again).
Old 08-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On top of the huge cost as boxey says you will also be responsible for 3th party damage unlike a track day in the UK or Europe in a closed track (which is knock for knock 1st party cover mostly). The Ring isn't the same to Euro drivers as it is to UK driver and our insurance companies. You spill a little oil or a Tourist day at the Ring in your 20 year old car and a biker or GT3 along with 3 other cars goes off, and you may well be paying for it for years... And a lot of years having seen the cars in the car park.

I have Track Day cover for all ATDO track days in the UK and Europe, but its not for me as i know i won't go to mad (I need to drive home and maintain running costs on my car), but its for the 4WD Imprezza driver with testosterone for brain cells i worry about smashing into the back of me...

But I never forget, anyone can run out of talent on track...

Oil dumped on the racing line

Last edited by Unkle; 08-14-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Barty964rst
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Have been on many trips to the Ring and Spa. Many guys just come along for the road trip and enjoy the whole experience and the social element.
The roads around the Ring are breathtaking and offer the opportunity to explore the surroundings in a spirited manner.
If the insurance cost or restrictions are an issue book the Trip to coincide with a VLN race at the Ring. Free viewing points and see cars handle the Ring like we can only dream of driving.
There are plenty of great hotels, restaurants even bars and beer to be had. Throw in the journey, 964s and like minded people and the trip is a goodun!
Oh and the obligatory steak on the stone at Sabines Tiergarten,
pistenklause.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:04 AM
clinchy993
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alexjc4
I am up for this, maybe one of either spa or nurburgring rather than both just to keep it short and sweet.

I have stupid dietary requirements (coeliacs) which I can busk my way through for a couple of days on the road but after that I start to get pretty hungry.

There is a mad Romainian Gypsy steak house in Spa ,great steak ,meat cleaver service LOL
Old 08-11-2011, 04:06 AM
clinchy993
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bigunit_271078
thanks frank was just about to post that up myself. I will check with my insurer (Classicline) to see if they will cover "trackdays" at these 2 venues.

Mannings Insurance polices do cover Spa
Old 08-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good point, but to clear up any confusion it must be a ATDO track day registered company with Manning. The list of companies are on the ATDO website.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:21 AM
cuse92
Instructor

Thanks for all the information guys. Nothing additional to report from my limited additional research. The premia are so high and the exclusions so numerous that it doesn't make financial sense to me. If I do get my car on the 'ring I'll be strapping pillows to it and driving like an old lady...
Old 08-12-2011, 08:25 AM
jamest
Instructor

Originally Posted by cuse92
Thanks for all the information guys. Nothing additional to report from my limited additional research. The premia are so high and the exclusions so numerous that it doesn't make financial sense to me. If I do get my car on the 'ring I'll be strapping pillows to it and driving like an old lady...
Proper trackdays rather than public days is the answer, I believe a policy such as that offered by Manning will cover you for these, also there are far less vehicles on track and you don't have to worry about whether there might be a coach\recovery truck\biker on his **** around the next corner. This is the only way I would take my own car on the ring.

Quick Reply: London 964 - Nurburgring and Spa weekend 2012