Sponsored by:

Newbies, DO A PRE PURCHASE INSPECTION B4 U BUY

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 09:51 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,403 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by cannon1000
One question I have not seen you ask this forum is a recommendation on a trustworthy and talented shop that can properly fix your car near you.

You won't see people thrashing ferrari's, lambo's, etc at Autocross and DE events - especially 21 year olds. See 964's all the time (and even older cars than that).

Despite your bad luck...it IS a great car.

Just get it rebuilt or buy one already built and they can use yours as a new core. Chance to put a new heart in what appears to be a good chassis.
if you don't think people are tracking 308s/328s/348s, you are sorely mistaken.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:23 PM
Axeman
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

This is really turning into an interesting thread!
Old 05-17-2011, 10:30 PM
ACSGP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your car Guy, but it does sound like an emotional response to a bad situation.

To be fair, the 964 is as good as the care the owner gives it. Sounds like the previous owner was a genuine good guy, but not really an enthusiast. If you really love the car, it won't be sitting around with low mileage. Believe that this has created the problems with your car, and a PPI would have been good.

The greatest wear occurs during start up, and it's exacerbated if this happens only occasionally where no oil has circulated for some time.

I hope that once your car is rebuilt, and you take it out and wring it's neck, you will then come to understand what a 911 stands for. It's not for wafting around, and the engine loves to be used hard.

Last edited by ACSGP; 05-17-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:42 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Boy, I have not seen a thread grow this quick on the 964 forum for a long time. This guy really got the natives riled up! Someone buy this car from the guy for a song and enjoy it!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Guy, you didn't seriously think owning a Porsche was going to be worry free, did you? Dude?

....$14,000 rebuild? x 100 I could replace your entire car for that kind of money.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:44 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Assuming the OP's premise to be correct then I LOVE JUNK
Old 05-17-2011, 11:56 PM
PChar
Racer

Originally Posted by GuyMonnin
As I got older, and a bit wiser, I began to realize that the engineering of a 911 is simply wrong. Motor behind the rear axle. This is just wrong. I told myself that it give you extreme traction out of corners etc. But, it also is a major iabillity in older cars without PASM. 911's have EARNED their reputation as widow makers with snap oversteer; unless a driver completely changes the way the car is driven, older cars are not safe to drive hard by a novice.
Did you knew the engine was in the rear before you bough the car,.. if so you didn't really get wiser based on your comment...

These cars are junk! With only 79K on the clock, the following items have to be repaired:

Oil Leaks: Valve covers, timing chain covers, crank case leaks etc. etc. So many oil leaks that the engine had to be rebuilt and re-sealed.

$9,000.00 after only driving it 68-miles after purchase.
Get it done and sell the car, Porches are not for you, you already had a predetermined notion that it was bad engineering,.. you can buy a very decent Vette for low $20 K, with great performance. A car for the common,...

This, after the seller showed me receipts for $4800 for having the engine resealed just 4000 miles ago...
$4800 for engine reseal,.. this should have been a red flag,.. Homework is key

Search the web, this story is common. The 911 is supposed to be the grand daddy of them all. It just keeps getting better and evolving...Yeah right.
Have you ever drove one before you bought yours,...Driving several cars, not just the first you see would have helped tremendously in crafting a sound opinion....!

If Porsche can't get the placement of the engine right, you would at least think that after all these decades, they could figure out how to build a SIMPLE flat six that doesn't leak oil all over the damn place...or a HVAC system that works (reliably)!
Again, this comment only shows your lack of judgement, and the choise you made in buying a Porsche was obviously wrong.

My 2 cents
Old 05-18-2011, 12:19 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Guy,

Great start, huh? Well, now that you are off to a good start, let me add some friendly advice...Search is your Friend. There is so much incredible information and data available to you in the history of Rennlist, I suggest spending some time reading and researching about these character packed automobiles/hobbies.

Like others have said, before making any rebuild decisions and/or even selecting a shop to do the work, you need to evaluate and define how you want to use the car. Once you know that answer do some research on modifications and what they really mean to longevity, performance, comfort, etc.

If you are set on doing the engine rebuild, I would stay close to stock and look at upgrading some of the materials where appropriate (like valve guides). I would not do the lightweight flywheel unless you are planning on tracking the car, and in all honesty I wouldn't even do the clutch unless it is original and/or was showing signs of wear. I wouldn't even consider the 3.8 conversion as you are now asking for a significant increase in the cost of the rebuild and it will hinder your ability to sell if that's what you ultimately decide to do...any of these 'upgrade' options your wrench is suggesting aren't $100 increases in cost...

Another something you should consider as you are building out your car, is the condition of the suspension. The suspension can really transform these cars and if the shocks are the originals you are running around on the springs only and the handling will be very poor.

Enjoy the learning and if you open your mind you will find these cars really are unique but absolutetly awesome...what other car can you run on the track in stock form for hours and hours and just replace fluids, rubber, and brake pads/rotors...great engineering.

-Skip
Old 05-18-2011, 12:22 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Makmov
Try an Italian car I have owned a few, complete rubish, they do have passion, something all German cars lack, but they are rubish. They are fun to drive, but rubish.

What other car comes with factory rust?

Factory electrical gremlins?

A post with 5 million ground wires on it?

Things like diesel injection pumps on a gas motor?

presurized gas filled warm up regulator?

and random things that just fall off - BRAND NEW CARS!

Things you would never expect to fall off a brand new car... like radiator hoses and wipper arms.
i enjoyed my 964 ownership....good drive, nice looks BUT
...take exception to your comments re italian cars. since the late 90's the italian cars have matched up dependability with design quality.
after owning 2 bmw's thru 1997 - 2001 both disappointing in terms of interior & overall drive quality - in succession i had an alfa 147 (2L, selespeed)
& 2 yrs later swapped into a used alfa 147 GTA (3.2L, 250hp ). both outstanding cars. where germanic cars tend to be "heavy" feeling the alfas are the opposite - light/nimble.
alfas never a leak, dependability - better than the beemers & costs of maintenance much less the beemers. added bonus was the quality of interior detailing, leather & sound system (bose).
....now that fiat has a position in the usa i do hope alfa makes a return there.
the new alfas will erase the history they had way in the past & deliver a delightful package (looks/power/fittings) at a price point much lower than the bmw.
the fiat 500 (especially the abarth edition) will be an outstanding commuter car (on the streets here for going on 3 yrs - better than a mini).
....considering car purchase now that we are back....(but not rushing as costs are so high especially in the capital) & while may consider a late 80's 911 as there are so many quality examples around..... a late 90's alfa gtv coupe would be so much quicker/more dependable.....at much less the price.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:27 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Silvertarga
Assuming the OP's premise to be correct then I LOVE JUNK
Me too. Especially junk that wins!
Old 05-18-2011, 12:40 AM
ACSGP
Pro

Originally Posted by PChar
Did you knew the engine was in the rear before you bough the car,.. if so you didn't really get wiser based on your comment...
Actually, if someone had driven a 911 all their life, the FWD (or even some RWD) cars would be extremely dangerous as the understeer would cause the car to plough straight ahead into the bushes and not round the corner.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:54 AM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a life lesson. These stories surface with every high end car as they age. I call this "baller on a budget" syndrome. Thats not meant to be a sleight, it just is what it is.

What some people seem to fail to realize is that exotic parts dont get *cheaper*. And as a car ages, you need *more* of them.

Some seem to think you can "get away with something" buying these cars "for a steal". Reality is that often the person driving the pristinely maintained classic sports car has *far* more resources than the guy in the brand new one. Why? Because the brand new one is on a lease, getting written off, and can be traded before the first repair bill.

I want to have sympathy for folks who think they can scrape together their last $20k and somehow fulfill a dream and then (Im sure this is part of the plan) sell it at a profit once its done, but reality is that if someone can find a forum to bitch, they can find a forum to do research.

I love the Ferrari F355. Thats my personal dream car. But I know I cant afford the maintenance. So instead I bounce between NSXs and Porsches. Not a bad consolation prize. Did I *buy a Ferrari* and learn the hard way? No. I read FChat.

Anyone who comes here to bitch and moan has only themselves to blame since they *should* have spent time here learning about real cost of ownership, risks of a 20 year old car, "worst case" costs (like total rebuilds), real world performance (these cars are aging - you buy them for the experience, not to stop light race the latest 900HP pickup which can probably give a 997T a run for its money at the red lights), and the magic of getting PPIs, leak down tests, etc.

Chalk it up to an expensive lesson and be thankful you got $4k back from the original owner.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:07 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg964
Can a moderator retitle this thread "How not to buy your first Porsche" and make it a sticky?
Ha! The thread is already epic.

Marc
Old 05-18-2011, 02:59 AM
clutch-monkey
Instructor

i bought my 964 turbo last year (all of 24,000 miles on the clock..) and subsequently drove it to sydney, 2000km round trip. turns out it was well overdue for an oil change and the old gearbox seal had been broken off into the gearbox itself.
neither issue showed up in the inspection (well i guess i should have checked the oil myself) , but on the flip side neither issue actually caused any problems - fixed the gearbox seal and clutch last week, and the oil was a non issue after the next service obviously.
all in all the car has been bullet proof, so i'm guessing here that the OP just ****ed up and didn't do his homework.

edit: in all actuality it is turning out cheaper to run than my jeep grand cherokee (not sure if that was a lemon, or just plain ****.. )
Old 05-18-2011, 03:19 AM
ozmatt964
Instructor

Originally Posted by clutch-monkey

edit: in all actuality it is turning out cheaper to run than my jeep grand cherokee (not sure if that was a lemon, or just plain ****.. )
This thread is making me laugh, especially in reference to all the other great engineering marvels out there! Keep it coming.

Quick Reply: Newbies, DO A PRE PURCHASE INSPECTION B4 U BUY