Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbies, DO A PRE PURCHASE INSPECTION B4 U BUY

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 01:10 PM
hans57
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been here since February of this year, and it goes like this. He needs to find a new home. Leave us alone and go away.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:11 PM
stinkydog
Instructor

Hmmm in the OP's other thread, he was braggin' up the car he's trying to sell...

Same car?
Old 05-17-2011, 01:15 PM
mhoward
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Should I read your name as Guy Moaning? If this is a real story, sorry to hear of your troubles. Many of us here are multiple P car owners with many accumulated miles. Fact is they are wonderful vehicles and there are not many manufacturers out there with 30+ year old cars on the road and track. Good luck.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:52 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 501 Likes on 267 Posts

Google Chevy 350 rebuild, bet there won't be any results. Lolz.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:55 PM
hawk911
Race Car

if the thought of ownership of a deplorable engine offends you, sell it now. Did you do ANY research before you bought the car? Did you ask any questions of knowledgeable people on trustworthy sites what kind of issues you might run into? If you went into this blindly, then look first at yourself before you come here bashing the brand. I've been here for almost 7 yrs now, and I think I've read of 3 cases where the new owner had issues that more than just a few dollars couldn't solve.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:57 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Ok you say engines fail, but never seen or really heard of a major fail more top end rebuild or just leaks after many years so they freshen the engine up.

I wish you did your search before you bought and you would of seen over and over get a PPI.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:12 PM
bmohr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude, i feel for you. I really do. I would be very pissed if it happened to me, who wouldn't? BUT, you had to realize going into this that a 20 yr old car can/could/would/will have some issues to address. Plain and simple. You buy a 20 yr boat, what are the chances you are gonna sail from the states to the caribean without some serious dollars invested in repair, safety, maintenance etc.? Not very likely. That aside the other issue should be with the dude you bought the car from, next after him is yourself, bad luck, karma or whatever. Pretty much the buck stops there. As many other members suggested, you should have researched the potential issues before purchase. These cars aren't coming off the showroom anymore. They WILL have something to attend to. However to reiterate, i am sorry to hear of your story, it truly sucks. Hopefully once its sorted out, you can really get the love back in these puma's...i suspect it won't take you more than a ride or two to fall back in love with em
Old 05-17-2011, 02:23 PM
zizu
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wasn't going to participate in this thread but here it goes.
It's a 20 year old car, it will need some attention. Most is regular maintenance and replacement of worn out parts, just normal.
As the oil leaks, no big deal, you could choose to do nothing about it and your engine won't fail.
Truth is most of P owners are enthusiasts and want a fresh engine at it's optimum performance and get their engine rebuild. But this engines ARE bullet proof and 300k miles 964 are not uncommon.
How many times have you heard of catastrophic failure on this cars?

Just maintain it, fix it and enjoy it. There's nothing like it behind the wheel.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:25 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GuyMonnin
has only accumulated about 10,000 miles in the last 10-years from the 2nd owner.
The receipts might have clued you in to some of the costs involved in ownership but the fact that it was never driven would have told me that it most likely was going to have some dried out seals at the very least.

Sorry to hear you got stuck with some monster bills but it happens with all brands from Toyota and Honda to Porsche and Mercedes especially on 20 year old vehicles. (Toyota and Mercedes on the new ones too )
Old 05-17-2011, 02:28 PM
GuyMonnin
Advanced

Hi everyone. The engine had the oil change every three thousand miles or once a year, whichever came first. It only had 79K on the clock when my mechanic called and said it was in need of a complete rebuild.

Last edited by GuyMonnin; 05-19-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Moffman
Racer

Where is Porsche964FP when you need him?
Old 05-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Axeman
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't even want to comment on this thread, but I have to:

1. Sorry about your bad experience.

2. Looks like you bought a lemon.

3. I would sell it before anything else happens and throws you over the edge.

4. "I had an E39 BMW 530I with the M suspension. That was a car." Oh please!! "BMtroubleYou"/ "BrakeMyWallet" don't have any issues right? I see them broken down on the side of the road every day here in L.A. and this is not even for a 20yo model which cost you more than Porsche.

5. As many already said it you should have had a reputable shop do a PPI on the car before you bought it.

Again sorry about your sour experience.

My $0.02
Old 05-17-2011, 02:38 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

ok so your still not understanding most of our cars do not have high miles because they are weekend or summer cars so parts just fail because lack of use and time. take a piece of rubber and heat it up, freeze it, heat again, freeze, then leave to the elements and see what happens to it over time.

Miles means nothing in our cars it really is how it was maintained. I don't care the seller had receipts for stuff. maybe he didn't fix it properly or do enough.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by deijmaster
Originally Posted by ValveFloat
http://automobiles.honda.com/

+1 lol.
-1 Honda VTEC design relies on the timing belt to get the valves out of the way before the piston comes up and crushes it against the cyl head. When the belt breaks (~75k miles), the pistons crush the valves and that costs big bucks to get fixed. The Honda/Acura suggested maintenance schedule didn't even include timing belt replacement until several years and several thousand pissed off customers later, me included. For an engine to be designed to sustain significant damage due to a broken belt is crappy engineering.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:42 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Porsche's are junk
Maybe so...but I drank the Kool-Aid a long time ago...

Its the car...the people...working on it...driving adventures...the people...working on it...driving adventures...the car...

I drove it up to watch a Rolex 250 race this weekend...an hours drive there and back.
- I was excited all morning looking forward to my drive up on some quiet, beautiful back roads!
- At the race I was immediately greeted by a couple Rennlisters in the parking lot.
- Watched racing Porsches scream around the track for hours. (ahh, the sights and sounds!!!)
- Rooted for "my team"...Porsche!
- Walked up to my car in the parking lot and thought, "do I really get to drive that car for the next hour?!" (after talking to a "new" friend in the parking lot who is looking for a 964 BTW)
- Now days later I'm emailing my friends pictures from the weekend and still thinking about that drive.

Its the car...the people...working on it...driving adventures...the people...working on it...driving adventures...the car...
Attached Images  

Last edited by 911Jetta; 05-17-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Newbies, DO A PRE PURCHASE INSPECTION B4 U BUY