Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbies, DO A PRE PURCHASE INSPECTION B4 U BUY

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 02:43 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Moaning...you should sell it as is sits for 10K. You won't get the money out of it if you spend $14K.

Other thoughts:

Have you considered a second opinion?

I wouldn't want to take my motor to a guy who "mostly" does chevy's but is a little slow and decides he might want to try one of them fancy German engines.

I suppose you could drop a used motor in there and sell yours.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:48 PM
Jim Richards
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyMonnin
The guy I bought it from had $10K in receipts, including one for $4800 for an engine reseal. I called the garage that serviced the car (it was just in getting a servo repaired) and the mechanic sang its praises.

I WOULD feel like a complete dumb a*s if their weren't about 100 other threads on this and pelicans site with the same story. Porsches are status cars, not NOT well engineered cars. They are well marketed cars. If a company that charges 100K for a car and it leaks oil from every orfice at less than 100K miles, and the engine design is as simplistic as there is and is only producing 80 horsepower per liter, somebody in Germany is laughing all the way to the bank. Subaru also build a boxer...they have equivelent horspower and...they don't leak...
A few years ago I drove my last Porsche ('73 911E) approximately 6000 miles over 18 days without problems. It was a fantastically simple car to work on. My old '95 993 was easy to work on too, although not quite as simple as the 73E. It's true that there are issues with some model years. Many of these problems were taken care of by previous owners. Yours probably wasn't. It seems like you didn't do a thorough job of checking it out before money changed hands. I'm sorry for your experience. I hope you find a nice Subie and enjoy it for many years.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:56 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might have gotten more sympathy if your initial post had been asking for help, rather than bashing the brand/breed. i always say it's not what you say, but how you say it that matters.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Moffman
Where is Porsche964FP when you need him?
Hi Moffman,

Here I am! Don't sell the car - If you do make sure the prospective buyer gets a PPI

Hope your oil changing calamities worked out?

I'm not spam and I'm not a Subaru owner or lover. My initial title on the thead was was an emotional response via logical deduction. Before my sour Porsche ownership experience, I always heard that Porsche's flat six was bullet proof due to decades of evelution. The gentleman that I bought this car from provided over $10,000 in receipts for routine maintenance and tires etc. It's a former California car (first 10-years) and has only accumulated about 10,000 miles in the last 10-years from the 2nd owner.

It is a Porsche 911. An icon...and a cleverly marketed myth.
Hi Guy,

1. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.

2. This simply seems to be a case of you not having done your due diligence.
I appreciate all your research through the car's history and 99% of the time this should suffice.

However a PPI is essential, no one should gamble $24,000. It's never about the probabilities - It's about the consequences.

It seems your research was done in the wrong order. You should have done all your googling before hand.

3. By your own admission all 964 owner must be rather dim. How could we buy a car that clearly doesn't work? Or is it possible you and your situation are an extreme case?

4. As stated we feel for your frustration however there is no need to be abusive. Clearly, if the brand/ model was so terrible it wouldn't be so revered today. Unless you and a few others are the only bright sparks out there that know the truth!

PS. Porsche is one of the most profitable car manufactures, and the most profitable sports car manufacturer in history. They almost bought VW Group.

Clearly their marketing must be the hypnotic, or their product works often enough?

6. I believe you are a victim of a dud. You are clearly experiencing some pretty extreme coincidences.

7. You will never see your money back and unless your a Porsche nut and want to keep the car regardless of cost ( and we absolutely understand why you wouldn't be in this case ) I suggest that you sell and move on.

8. Buy a good pair of sneakers and a bus pass - hopefully the bus won't go wrong - worse case if it does it won't cost you a dime! Besides "The 911 wasn't designed to be something to everyone but everything to someone".

Joking aside - wishing you all the best.

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Maybe so...but I drank the Kool-Aid a long time ago...

Its the car...the people...working on it...driving adventures...the people...working on it...driving adventures...the car...

I drove it up to watch a Rolex 250 race this weekend...an hours drive there and back.
- I was excited all morning looking forward to my drive up on some quiet, beautiful back roads!
- At the race I was immediately greeted by a couple Rennlisters in the parking lot.
- Watched racing Porsches scream around the track for hours. (ahh, the sights and sounds!!!)
- Rooted for "my team"...Porsche!
- Walked up to my car in the parking lot and thought, "do I really get to drive that car for the next hour?!" (after talking to a "new" friend in the parking lot who is looking for a 964 BTW)
- Now days later I'm emailing my friends pictures from the weekend and still thinking about that drive.

Its the car...the people...working on it...driving adventures...the people...working on it...driving adventures...the car...
You've captured the essence!
Old 05-17-2011, 03:55 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guy,

You're absolutely right on every count. I hope you can sell the car soon so you can move past this terrible experience and onto a web forum for your next car.

BTW, my P.O. had $11,300 in mechanic bills that hadn't even been paid yet. Even with all the repairs, I dropped a valve within the first 4 months of ownership. Maybe your and your P.O.'s shop can share a little of the blame. I've had my car nearly 5 years now and I'm still exhilarated every time I walk up to it, ready for another exciting drive.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a nice used motor , part out the old motor .
Put in your "new" motor yourself .
Get a nice rebuilt alternator for $200ish iirc , put it in yourself , its not that hard to do .

Or just cut your loses and give me the car . I love junk .
Old 05-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Moffman
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
Hi Moffman,

Here I am! Don't sell the car - If you do make sure the prospective buyer gets a PPI

Hope your oil changing calamities worked out?
I finally got myself one of those PPI's you keep blammering about.

As for the oilchange gone wrong, a shop is fixing my stupidity.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:58 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm not spam and I'm not a Subaru owner or lover. My initial title on the thead was was an emotional response via logical deduction. Before my sour Porsche ownership experience, I always heard that Porsche's flat six was bullet proof due to decades of evelution. The gentleman that I bought this car from provided over $10,000 in receipts for routine maintenance and tires etc. It's a former California car (first 10-years) and has only accumulated about 10,000 miles in the last 10-years from the 2nd owner.

It was a devistating discovery. After my car was diagnosed, I googled "964 oil leaks," then, "964 heater problems"...It turns out that these cars (these cars being all Porsches) are not only susceptible to these problems but are notorious for these problems.

Deep down, I was hoping someone on this forum could change my mind that Porsche's aren't "junk."

I love the way my car looks. It truly is rolling art. I'm sure that I will love the way it drives once all the internals are replaced. I just have no confidence that even after I pay the $14,000 for the engine repairs and then another $2,000 for the alternator and HVAC repairs that the rear end or transmission or etc. will suddenly fail.

Back to the garage for another six weeks. Have you ever googled Porsche engine rebuild? These engines are so prone to fail, there are now companies that do nothing, NOTHING but rebuild porsche engines. They are so backed up with motors that need rebuilt that there is a six month waiting list.

This is deplorable. Once again, this is as elementary of an internal combustion engine as there is. Hell, its even air cooled.

It is a Porsche 911. An icon...and a cleverly marketed myth.
Sounds like you're pissing on Porsche instead of your own lack of due diligence.
Porsche, as a rule doesn't make "junk" - your self-convincing perceptions not withstanding.
The folks on this forum are pretty savvy, machinery-wise, and would be a helluva lot more vocal than you if what you've said were true.
That certainly not being the case, I'd take this as an object lesson on what happens when not practicing due diligence (i.e., a thorough, independent pre-purchase inspection.)
And, no - it's not the 'fault' of "the gentleman" who sold you the car. ["I won't guarantee any horse I sell has four legs" - Lazarus Long]

So, pull up your big boy pants, take this as one of life's lesser-costing educational moments - and move on.

(And that education isn't the stereotype of "All Porsches are junk".)
Old 05-17-2011, 05:01 PM
GuyMonnin
Advanced

Porsche owners love the same thing about the cars that I do. Although I only drove it 68-miles, I figured out what the buzz was about. The sound of the flat six, billet like solidity, all parts working as one. It is mechanical perfection, if it works. I just can't figure out why (WHY!!!???) Porsche didn't forge a solid crankcase instead of a two piece oil leak waiting to happen. Why they didn't use proper gaskets with proper torque ratings on the bits that hold the oil in????

Just very frustrating and VERY expensive.

Last edited by GuyMonnin; 05-19-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:02 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi everyone. The engine had the oil change every three thousand miles or once a year, whichever came first. It only had 79K on the clock when my mechanic called and said it was in need of a complete rebuild. A properly maintained engine by BMW, GM or other major maker most likely would not have failed with similar mileage. This is not to say it would never happen, just not likely. From all the negative threads I have discovered since the failure, I am far (FAR) from walking this path alone.
When did the engine fail? Oh, that's right it didn't because I've just re-read your first post! Which went something like you drove into your mechanic's shop and complained about the engine leaking a bit of oil. You then let him pull the engine apart and he now wants to charge you $14K to put it all back together again so that it's as good as new. He's a sharp cookie that mechanic of yours . I don't think it was the engine that failed (it didn't stop working of its own accord), I think it was you that failed to take stock and ask for advice
Old 05-17-2011, 05:16 PM
hawk911
Race Car

^^^
exactly!

If someone wanted to spend $10K of my money, dammit I'd ask for a second opinion
Old 05-17-2011, 05:16 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

...I just can't figure out why (WHY!!!???) Porsche didn't forge a solid crankcase instead of a two piece oil leak waiting to happen.
Weight.
(And a drippy engine is not what brought you to your current state of affairs.)

Why they didn't use proper gaskets with proper torque ratings on the bits that hold the oil in????
They (Porsche) did, insofar as my car is example.

Just very frustrating and VERY expensive.
I can appreciate that.
But the most expensive part was buying into your car's condition based mostly on trust.

With Porsches, I've been hugely rewarded by the advice: Trust - but verify.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:19 PM
germanspeed
Instructor

Sounds like someone should go buy a new Honda civic and call it a day....Owning a Porsche is much more of a hobby in itself. Everyone knows sports cars are expensive to maintain...sounds like GuyMonnin just got a dose of reality. I love my 964 like a member of my family....despite just dropping $5k on routine maintenance. STOP COMPLAINING....
Old 05-17-2011, 05:39 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Guy, did you get a PPI that included a compression and leakdown test before you bought the car? You haven't mentioned that. Please let us know.

If so, you had some very bad luck.

If not, you've just learned the hard way that one must ALWAYS have a used car completely checked out BEFORE you buy.

My car has more miles and has none of the problems you have. It's not Porsche that's a piece of crap. It's YOUR Porsche that is.

Sorry that you got burned, but if you didn't get a PPI with a compression and leakdown test before you bought, you should be mad at yourself, not the car.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Mc.Queen 964
Racer

Originally Posted by ValveFloat
LOL

I think that you had bad lucky, If you were conscious of the "problems" of that cars, you would buy another for the same price but in good conditions.

Quick Reply: Newbies, DO A PRE PURCHASE INSPECTION B4 U BUY