Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Newbies, DO A PRE PURCHASE INSPECTION B4 U BUY (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/633883-newbies-do-a-pre-purchase-inspection-b4-u-buy.html)

GuyMonnin 05-17-2011 12:35 PM

Newbies, DO A PRE PURCHASE INSPECTION B4 U BUY

I grew up on a small farm town and no one in my town had a Porsche. My first gilmpse was a movie that featured a character that drove a 911 turbo. The impossibly wide rear end, the lines...I fell in love. That was 1983. I've wanted one ever since.

I paid top dollar for one and didn't get a PPI. After my purschase, and with only 79K on the clock, the following items have to be repaired:

Oil Leaks: Valve covers, timing chain covers, crank case leaks etc. etc. So many oil leaks that the engine had to be rebuilt and re-sealed.

$9,000.00 after only driving it 68-miles after purchase.

The mechanic got the engine apart and discovers that the cams (both) are serverly pitted and have flat wear spots - need new ones.

Pistons and rings - shot

Flywheel - shot

Now, I need a $14,000 complete engine build!!!!!! I only paid $24K for the car. Drove it 68-miles and $14,000.00!!!!

The breakdowns don't end there....

Alternator squeeking and needs replaced: $600.00

The HVAC system is throwing hot air into the cab - scorching hot, throw in another $1000.00 to get this sorted.

This, after the seller showed me receipts for $4800 for having the engine resealed just 4000 miles ago...

Search the web, this story is common.

mojorizing 05-17-2011 12:41 PM

Don't hold back, man...tell us how you really feel......

I feel for you, sounds like you had some bad luck with your car.

KaiB 05-17-2011 12:41 PM

So glad yer happy with it!

SeanR 05-17-2011 12:42 PM

Sounds like someone didn't get a Pre-Purchase Inspection and thought a 20 year old car would have no issues.

Didn't do any homework did ya?

wellcraft290 05-17-2011 12:44 PM

Geez a guy that didn't get a PPI done or expects a car that is 20 years old to be perfect.
Hey when you do all teh work let me know and if it passes the PPI I will give you 17k for her!!!

deijmaster 05-17-2011 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by GuyMonnin (Post 8561484)
I grew up on a small farm town and no one in my town had a Porsche. My first gilmpse was a movie that featured a character that drove a 911 turbo. The impossibly wide rear end, the lines...I fell in love. That was 1983. I've wanted one ever since.

As I got older, and a bit wiser, I began to realize that the engineering of a 911 is simply wrong. Motor behind the rear axle. This is just wrong. I told myself that it give you extreme traction out of corners etc. But, it also is a major iabillity in older cars without PASM. 911's have EARNED their reputation as widow makers with snap oversteer; unless a driver completely changes the way the car is driven, older cars are not safe to drive hard by a novice.

They simply aren't.

This, of course, didn't talk me out of paying top dollar for a 964 with 79K on the clock.

I'm a novice, it was my dream car and I finally could afford it if I believed some of the lies the horned angel on my shoulder was telling. I should have listened to the good angel on my other shoulder!

These cars are junk! With only 79K on the clock, the following items have to be repaired:

Oil Leaks: Valve covers, timing chain covers, crank case leaks etc. etc. So many oil leaks that the engine had to be rebuilt and re-sealed.

$9,000.00 after only driving it 68-miles after purchase.

The mechanic got the engine apart and discovers that the cams (both) are serverly pitted and have flat wear spots - need new ones.

Pistons and rings - shot

Flywheel - shot

Now, I need a $14,000 complete engine build!!!!!! I only paid $24K for the car. Drove it 68-miles and $14,000.00!!!!

The breakdowns don't end there....

Alternator squeeking and needs replaced: $600.00

The HVAC system is throwing hot air into the cab - scorching hot, throw in another $1000.00 to get this sorted.

This, after the seller showed me receipts for $4800 for having the engine resealed just 4000 miles ago...

Search the web, this story is common. The 911 is supposed to be the grand daddy of them all. It just keeps getting better and evolving...Yeah right.

If Porsche can't get the placement of the engine right, you would at least think that after all these decades, they could figure out how to build a SIMPLE flat six that doesn't leak oil all over the damn place...or a HVAC system that works (reliably)!

Porsche has to hold the Cayman horspower and tire spec back so it doesn't kick the 911's tail...But the engine for the Cayman and Boxer commonly self destruct!!!!!!

I had an E39 BMW 530I with the M suspension. That was a car.

I am going to completely refurb this piece of sh*t, the right way, and then kick it out of my garage before something else falls apart on it.

The End.

Hello Guy, I completely understand your frustration and nothing can excuse this situation. But and that's a big BUT, it always depends on the car you've purchased. Simply said, if you go for a car that was properly maintained, there's a great chance that you would not have these problems...

I know, I know, everybody says they've bought a great car, but that's not the case. I would say that a small percentage of Porsche and any other cars are really maintained correctly.

Small story for you, my uncle bought a Mercedes S550 5 years ago and after only two weeks of driving, the transmission blocked and killed the link to the engine... More than 30K dollars of repair... So nothing is perfect whatever the brand or the year.

Sorry again for what you're living, but don't think that this is for every porsche... I have many friends with 80's and 90's P-cars and they have great fun...

About the safe side of the car - any car is dangerous. When you have a sports car, you should always know what you are doing... P-cars, lambo's, ferrari's etc...

live life, it's only money. Respect.

ValveFloat 05-17-2011 12:50 PM

http://automobiles.honda.com/

GuyMonnin 05-17-2011 12:50 PM

The guy I bought it from had $10K in receipts, including one for $4800 for an engine reseal. I called the garage that serviced the car (it was just in getting a servo repaired) and the mechanic sang its praises.

SeanR 05-17-2011 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by GuyMonnin (Post 8561545)
The guy I bought it from had $10K in receipts, including one for $4800 for an engine reseal. I called the garage that serviced the car (it was just in getting a servo repaired) and the mechanic sang its praises.

I WOULD feel like a complete dumb a*s if their weren't about 100 other threads on this and pelicans site with the same story. Porsches are status cars, not NOT well engineered cars. They are well marketed cars. If a company that charges 100K for a car and it leaks oil from every orfice at less than 100K miles, and the engine design is as simplistic as there is and is only producing 80 horsepower per liter, somebody in Germany is laughing all the way to the bank. Subaru also build a boxer...they have equivelent horspower and...they don't leak...

How many 20 year old Subbies do you see still running?

hawk911 05-17-2011 12:54 PM

wow- this dude came packed full of attitude. The first 4 posts have not been stellar accolades to the Porsche name.

wellcraft290 05-17-2011 12:55 PM

um had a subaru that leaked big time. Also check on teh mortors from 95-2000 they had some major issues on the subs.

I must say you have no idea what your talking about. Of course some leak that is just how things get when they age. And I don't know how you feel better because you didn't do your homework and now you find that others have to do maint as well so you feel better?

I see the making of a spammer here. Someone that knew everything and bought teh car anyway just to bitch about it? geez

Laker 05-17-2011 12:56 PM

(Cork/Rubber) seals on any 20 year old car shrink and crack over time. Not related to mileage. This is not just Porsches. Also sounds like a good oil with enough ZDDP was not used in the car. The world's best engineering can't overcome poor maintenance and the physics of time and rubber/cork. The only known issue you mentioned was the flywheel. Original flywheels did fail prematurely and many were replaced under warranty with a flywheel from another supplier (LUK)

wellcraft290 05-17-2011 12:57 PM

http://users.sisna.com/ignatius/subaru/headgasket.html

uh oh here goes subarus are the best in teh world. i love them but nothing is perfect...

deijmaster 05-17-2011 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by ValveFloat (Post 8561540)

+1 lol.

hawk911 05-17-2011 01:08 PM

those $4800 worth of reseal receipts? were they last month, last year, last decade? Did the mechanic bother to look at anything in the engine when he did the reseal? did the mechanic tell him about pitted cams and the PO chose to ignore it? It's unfortunate, for sure, but it is what it is and does not represent every Porsche out there.