964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9m11RS-R - creation of a modern icon - '74 3.0RSR on 9m64RS platform

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012 | 08:43 AM
fuch
Rennlist Member

I must be strange to as that's the way I would go around the job!!

Early retirement for me then I've been getting it wrong for 25 years ,how did I ever run my own company with loyal customers....doh!!

Last edited by fuch; 11-23-2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: I can't spell!!
Old 11-23-2012 | 10:09 AM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Atgani
Clearly not from your perspective. From you being in the trade, that strikes me as a very strange comment.

For the time it takes, why wouldn't you do a dry build ? It would save all the needless masking, the risk of damage, the pointless and risky removal and refitting of finished/painted panels. It's an absolute no brainer on a project such as this.
the masking isnt questionable as it stops the resin sticking to the car.

why fit everything up including every clip, pipe, wire etc and take it all out again when there is nothing wrong with doing it last, there is no risk involved.
Old 11-23-2012 | 03:11 PM
hawk911
Race Car

tomato, tomato...... to each his own. I'd be last to tell Colin how to do something
Old 11-23-2012 | 06:48 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lemass Automotive
the masking isnt questionable as it stops the resin sticking to the car.
I wasn't referring to the masking for the preparation of the surface prior to applying the matting and resin, I was referring to the masking of the hub assembly, calliper etc.

Originally Posted by Lemass Automotive
why fit everything up including every clip, pipe, wire etc and take it all out again when there is nothing wrong with doing it last, there is no risk involved.
If you genuinely can't see the answer to the question you've posed above, you're unlikely to "get" what it is I'm saying.

Originally Posted by fuch
I must be strange to as that's the way I would go around the job!!
So you really can't see the logic in making the arch guards before the car is painted ?

https://rennlist.com/forums/concours-and-car-care/725754-fresh-paint-care.html#post9982112
If you were carrying out a project on my behalf, knowing that you were asking that kind of question on a public forum would concern me.
Old 11-23-2012 | 07:54 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Sorry for the hijack Colin.....
Old 11-23-2012 | 08:00 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

I wasn't referring to the masking for the preparation of the surface prior to applying the matting and resin, I was referring to the masking of the hub assembly, calliper etc.

If you genuinely can't see the answer to the question you've posed above, you're unlikely to "get" what it is I'm saying.

So you really can't see the logic in making the arch guards before the car is painted ?

If you were carrying out a project on my behalf, knowing that you were asking that kind of question on a public forum would concern me.
I've got a stalker.....bum sex next?
Old 11-23-2012 | 08:03 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GeorgeK
License plate lights are from a BMW 2002.
Car is fabulous!
I knew that I recognized those lights ... 1970's era BMW 2002
Old 11-25-2012 | 06:43 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Atgani, I've been enjoying following Colin's build threads and his attention to detail and in his busyness taking the time to share with us the build. I'd equally love to see anything you've done that is of the same quality or, from what I can gather from your posts probably better so please start a thread so we can all drool over some of your work

More build threads the better!

Old 11-25-2012 | 07:17 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Atgani, I've been enjoying following Colin's build threads and his attention to detail and in his busyness taking the time to share with us the build. I'd equally love to see anything you've done that is of the same quality or, from what I can gather from your posts probably better so please start a thread so we can all drool over some of your work

More build threads the better!
A Kiwi ay ? Nice part of the world you live in. Where abouts are you N or S island ?
You seem to be under the illusion I'm saying "I can do better". I've said nothing of the sort. Merely that making arch liners at this stage of the project is rather a back to front way of doing things.

But if you'd like to see the results of a project I've carried out with the aid of some craftsman mates. Here's a couple of images of an 964 engine bay.

One is an immaculate low miles original car, the other recently refurbished.

I've got a stalker.....bum sex next?
Strange that you've no sensible, mature answer to my observation of the question you posed in the other thread you started.
Old 11-25-2012 | 07:25 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

See below.

Last edited by Atgani; 11-25-2012 at 08:05 PM. Reason: In accordance with Sharkers request . . .
Old 11-25-2012 | 07:30 PM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Atgani, please go get your own thread..

Colin, please come back
Old 11-25-2012 | 07:40 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Err I'm not a Detailer so was just asking advice on a subject that I know little about from a guy that does this for a living....silly me!!

Nice yellow 64's & in one of my fav colours....

Now lets stop flirting with each other & let this special thread move on....aka Peter Pan.
Old 11-25-2012 | 07:49 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Now lets stop flirting with each other

Sharker.
Old 11-25-2012 | 08:44 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SharpMan
Put a webcam on each service bay and one positioned overall and let customers log in to view what's going on.
Tempted to say... Epic suggestion! And then realised how many hours a day already get spent looking at threads like this - maybe not such a good idea. In the interests of workplace productivity of course!
Old 11-26-2012 | 09:07 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Hmmnn, with the 400plus million dollar Lotto drawing Wednesday coming up, I'm thinking of getting a mint RS America, sending it to Colin, and getting back a RS America RS 9M style!

Quick Reply: 9m11RS-R - creation of a modern icon - '74 3.0RSR on 9m64RS platform