Sponsored by:

Shark Fin Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 07:03 AM
pantera43
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shark Fin Removal

Gents, I need to get to the 2 hoses to the thermostat. Any tips on how to remove the shark fin only or do I need to remove the entire rocker panel? Did a search but did not find anything in regards to removing just the shark fin.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 02-11-2010, 07:37 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Removing the shark fin is relatively easy. Its held on with several (4?) 10mm nuts. When I replaced the hoses on my thermostat, I found it was best to remove both the shark fin and the rocker panel. I'll look up some instructions in a moment.

Edit

Good photo of the thermostat and its hoses https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ctures.html#39

Rocket panel removal = https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...just-pull.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...er-panels.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...de-skirts.html

Last edited by Rocket Rob; 02-11-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:56 AM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

There are a few clips in there. Be careful when you pull on the shark fin so as not to break the very thin housing on the shark fin that holds the clips. When I pulled my Shark fin off, I broke these and had to epoxy it back on so the clips would fit and stay.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:18 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sharks fin is attached by two screws from the bottom and two 10 mm plastic nuts on the inside face. One of these nuts is easy to reach. The other requires a lot of patience because it's right next to the oil tank. Requires lots of short turns with a 10 mm C spanner. This is the point that is often broken because people think that it's a popper and just pull to get it off.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:32 AM
pantera43
Pro

Rob,Ceby and Steve, thanks so much for the detailed threads and advise. The diagrams are great. Huge help in damage prevention !! I at least know what to expect going in and what parts I need to order.

Much appreciated,

Dan
Old 02-11-2010, 09:38 AM
roblav
Advanced

I just did these hoses too. Never new you guys call that plastic piece a shark fin. Agree with patience... and I removed the outer plastic rocker panel about all the way to the front screw. It also helped to loosen the mount that supports the steel tube oil line going from the oil filter assembly to the tank. It was easier to get the new hose on that way. Mine was a bloody mess - so full of oil and dirt - I simply cut the old rubber hoses off.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

When you replace the hoses, be sure to clean the area very well. You don't want any dirt to get into the oil system. Mine was a oily dirty mess (due to leaky rubber hoses).
Old 02-11-2010, 11:43 AM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 57 Posts

Word of advice - replace ALL of the small hoses in the thermostat area while you are there. Nearly 20 yr old rubber oil lines will be brittle and it will give you a little more peace of mind. If you pull the long rocker panel off you will most likely break the small plastic clips so have at least twice as many as you think you need - they are cheap.

Now is also a good time to replace the rubber seals on the shark fin and rocker panel if they are looking their age.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:53 PM
robingb
Instructor

Default removal of nut next to oil tank?

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Sharks fin is attached by two screws from the bottom and two 10 mm plastic nuts on the inside face. One of these nuts is easy to reach. The other requires a lot of patience because it's right next to the oil tank. Requires lots of short turns with a 10 mm C spanner. This is the point that is often broken because people think that it's a popper and just pull to get it off.

can someone please tell me trick for accessing this nut? the oil lines and tank don't give me access. short of pulling lines i don't have enough room ? thanks, gary
Old 11-25-2013, 01:02 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

It helps to have a ratcheting 10mm wrench to do this job. My hands are on the thinner side, so I was able to squeeze my fingertips between all that mess and get the nut started. After that, ratcheting wrench to tighten it back up.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vandit
It helps to have a ratcheting 10mm wrench to do this job. My hands are on the thinner side, so I was able to squeeze my fingertips between all that mess and get the nut started. After that, ratcheting wrench to tighten it back up.
+1 - I use a ratcheting box wrench too to reach the inner nut. Not enough space for a normal ratchet.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:15 PM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

i just take the wheel off and can get to that nut quite easily with a ratched spanner as stated
Old 11-25-2013, 01:22 PM
9six4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just pulled the plastic off of my car to get to the oil lines too. Only broke one clip, but the threaded fasteners are breaking off of the shark fins. Any tips on a good adhesive product? I don't want to spend the money on new shark fins.
I found lots of dirt (300g) in the panel around the oil pressure unit.
Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2013, 01:29 PM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

9six4

As part of my left over spares, I have a right side shark fin in good condition. It's Guards Red right now, but cheap.
Please PM if interested.

Thanks

Dave
Old 11-25-2013, 01:37 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 9six4
I just pulled the plastic off of my car to get to the oil lines too. Only broke one clip, but the threaded fasteners are breaking off of the shark fins. Any tips on a good adhesive product? I don't want to spend the money on new shark fins.
I found lots of dirt (300g) in the panel around the oil pressure unit.
Same thing here a couple weeks ago when I replaced my thermostat.
Just use a regular epoxy kit with one tube for hardening and one for epoxy. Takes 15 min to dry but better to leave over night before applying force. I was lucky that some of the little locating tabs on the fin weren't completely broken so they worked to locate the white piece with the bolt in it. once dry the plastic nut can be nicely cranked and alls well.

Also I thought I'd need to replace the rubber trim, but left it to soak in soapy water and rubber cleaner overnight and it regained perfect form, so easy to reattach,clip in and you're away

Quick Reply: Shark Fin Removal