Oil leak (and need PET help) UPDATE: Leak found added pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil leak (and need PET help) UPDATE: Leak found added pictures

My car has started dripping. It was so nice to have a new car and not have the drips that used to follow the C4 around...that lasted all of 6 months!! :P

The C2 has a leak that appears to be coming from the large oil pipe under the right rear wheel arch, right where it connects at the rearmost point.

I have skimmed through PET but each time I think I've found it, it always turns out to be incorrect. It seems the 964 oil lines are like human intestines and once removed can encircle the planet numerous times...

Can anyone identify that line for me and provide a part #?

(also I need to replace the oil sender)

Thanks,

--H

Last edited by Kahdmus; 03-11-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:13 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

...well, Jaime?
Old 03-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by elbeee964
...well, Jaime?
LMAO!!

(actually I think my comments re: stickers may have cost me the usual support... :P)
Old 03-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Yeah, sorry guys... was busy posting in the other threads... lol
Old 03-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Let me upload a few photos and then start typing...

Or better yet... look at this link:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-few-q-10.html

Last edited by Wachuko; 03-10-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi, I am having the same problem. My mechanic said there are two short hoses above that sump/thermostat/pressure relief valve that go up to oil tank that are the culprit. I am going to order them later today and will get part numbers. In the bentley book the diagram is on page 78= lots of hoses!
Old 03-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
My car has started dripping. It was so nice to have a new car and not have the drips that used to follow the C4 around...that lasted all of 6 months!! :P

The C2 has a leak that appears to be coming from the large oil pipe under the right rear wheel arch, right where it connects at the rearmost point.

I have skimmed through PET but each time I think I've found it, it always turns out to be incorrect. It seems the 964 oil lines are like human intestines and once removed can encircle the planet numerous times...

Can anyone identify that line for me and provide a part #?

(also I need to replace the oil sender)

Thanks,

--H
Based on that description... take the passenger rear wheel out and remove the plastic wheel well cover... you will see this (hopefully something better looking as mine looked like crap...)

In my case the reason for the leak in there was a corroded washer

If you don't have them, get these wrenches...

great for the limited space you have in there (well, only ones that will fit... Pelican has them). Clean the area and try to tighten the hose first before doing anything else... if that does not cure it then get a few washers and change them for both hoses. That should take care of it.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Livefreeandrive
Hi, I am having the same problem. My mechanic said there are two short hoses above that sump/thermostat/pressure relief valve that go up to oil tank that are the culprit. I am going to order them later today and will get part numbers. In the bentley book the diagram is on page 78= lots of hoses!
Not the same leak... those take time to change out... easier if you loosen a bit the oil tank mounts... unless, like I did the first time, you want to be blood brother with your car

Ohh... I don't do like I did... use flat/smooth SS hose clamps... not the slotted ones... better for the hoses....

Last edited by Wachuko; 03-10-2009 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Forgot one photo
Old 03-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jaime, thanks for all the pics! originally I thought it was #54 but looking at the pic on pelican that isn't it.

I'll whip the wheel off later and get a better look but peering behind with a torch I could see the drop formed on what I think is the area you show in your pics (but with the wheel arch liner in place).

I'll get a picture and see if we can confirm exactly which hose it is, then if either the hose, washers or other associated hardware is the culprit i can source and order quickly.

Thanks, as always,

--H

EDIT: Yes, I just checked and the area shown on the top pic is EXACTLY where the leak is. The metal sleeve portion of the hose that connects to the hole shown in the pic is completely soaked. The Which hose is that in the PET diagram and what is the part# for the washer?
Old 03-10-2009, 05:17 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Jaime,

How'd you get your thermostat so spotless? (as shown in that last picture)
Old 03-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Jaime, thanks for all the pics! originally I thought it was #54 but looking at the pic on pelican that isn't it.

I'll whip the wheel off later and get a better look but peering behind with a torch I could see the drop formed on what I think is the area you show in your pics (but with the wheel arch liner in place).

I'll get a picture and see if we can confirm exactly which hose it is, then if either the hose, washers or other associated hardware is the culprit i can source and order quickly.

Thanks, as always,

--H
In the case of my car, one of the leaks was from the washer for the plug. (#48 in the diagram - Part No. N.013.813.2 and the one that I show in the photo), the other was from the bigger washer on the adapters (Part No. 900.123.139.30).

Once you clean the area, run the engine and you will find it.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brilliant Jaime, you are such a help. Thanks mate! --H
Old 03-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

EDIT: Yes, I just checked and the area shown on the top pic is EXACTLY where the leak is. The metal sleeve portion of the hose that connects to the hole shown in the pic is completely soaked. The Which hose is that in the PET diagram and what is the part# for the washer?
Here you go... but, unless the hose is in the same condition than mine was, it broke in pieces when I tried to move out of the way to get the adapter out..., you should be fine just changing the washers...

Old 03-10-2009, 05:30 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

That liong oil line can also begin to seep oil through the rubber hose section and then flow towards the connections and make you think it is the connection. Try to clean it very well and then discover where the leak is really starting from.

To clean the thermostat, use simple green and a toothbursh and rinse with water.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by elbeee964
Jaime,

How'd you get your thermostat so spotless? (as shown in that last picture)
I took it out... should have polished the sucker while it was out... our powdercoated it red or something!!

Quick Reply: Oil leak (and need PET help) UPDATE: Leak found added pictures