Fabspeed 964 C2/C4/RS RSR Header Muffler Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 10:34 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Happy to see more suppliers developing performance parts for the 964 and I have to say that the parts look to be very well made, well done Alex. Looking at the pictures of the kit it's no surprise that some folk are happy to buy them on the grounds of looks and noise alone; however, surely the more discerning 964 owner who is buying them on the basis of expected performance improvements will need to see before/after dyno graphs or acceleration data to verify the performance gains before agreeing to buy a set? In my opinion, thorough product development & testing costs a lot of time and expense and could delay the sale of the parts; these costs also have to be factored into the selling price of the product, but is this not an essential part of the process if the product is to succeed in the market?

I'm definitely not saying that this is the case here, but I have lost count of the number of parts and kits I have bought in at our expense from other suppliers which, not to put too fine a point on it, just either don't fit properly or in some circumstances just don't work as the supplier claimed they will when we tested them ourselves.

No doubt you have a testing program in hand, Alex, so I'll look forward to seeing the results you achieve which hopefully will be even better than they look. Keep up the good work.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:28 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Happy to see more suppliers developing performance parts for the 964 and I have to say that the parts look to be very well made, well done Alex. Looking at the pictures of the kit it's no surprise that some folk are happy to buy them on the grounds of looks and noise alone; however, surely the more discerning 964 owner who is buying them on the basis of expected performance improvements will need to see before/after dyno graphs or acceleration data to verify the performance gains before agreeing to buy a set? In my opinion, thorough product development & testing costs a lot of time and expense and could delay the sale of the parts; these costs also have to be factored into the selling price of the product, but is this not an essential part of the process if the product is to succeed in the market?

I'm definitely not saying that this is the case here, but I have lost count of the number of parts and kits I have bought in at our expense from other suppliers which, not to put too fine a point on it, just either don't fit properly or in some circumstances just don't work as the supplier claimed they will when we tested them ourselves.

No doubt you have a testing program in hand, Alex, so I'll look forward to seeing the results you achieve which hopefully will be even better than they look. Keep up the good work.

Surprised nobody has brought this up yet. I am sticking with cat bypass and primary bypass for now....w/ stock heat exchangers. I really don't care that much about sound or looks, just torque and power....and weight also, (weight is bettered by the Fabspeed for sure).

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...t-changes.html
Old 03-26-2009, 01:43 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
The Header with heat kit was installed on Mark Shocks 9M USA conversion car and it sounds awesome. We only ran it with the muffler which made the car sound like a 3.0RSR. It is quiet for normal driving and does not have the 2500rpm drone that other muffler only systems have.

I can highly recommend it, espeically since they have now improved the kit fitment and heater attachments.
One of the reasons I decided to go with the Fabspeed system, was Geofferys post. He has worked with this system on the 9M Motec conversion, which is the direction I would like to go, I just need to find someone on the west coast that is willing to do the install and fine tuning.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:20 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The Fabspeed RSR header/Muffler just arrived, and I must say, they look absolutely awsome, I know, looks and performance does not necessarily go hand in hand, but I am sure they will work out just fine, cant' wait to get them installed, I will post how it all works out.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:19 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by forklift
Surprised nobody has brought this up yet. I am sticking with cat bypass and primary bypass for now....w/ stock heat exchangers. I really don't care that much about sound or looks, just torque and power....and weight also, (weight is bettered by the Fabspeed for sure).

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...t-changes.html
Actually, I brought this up on post #7 and am very interested to see the charts. What I'm surprised about is the fact that these were developed WITHOUT the use of a car and dyno? I know you can do a lot with CFD models but the models should always be verified with a prototype.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by crg53
The Fabspeed RSR header/Muffler just arrived, and I must say, they look absolutely awsome, I know, looks and performance does not necessarily go hand in hand, but I am sure they will work out just fine, cant' wait to get them installed, I will post how it all works out.
Wohoooooo!!

I gave all info to Alex yesterday afternoon... so it will be a few more days before I get mine. I went with the heat option. As an additional charge, Alex is going to see what can be done to get me some oval tips that I can weld once it gets here...
Old 03-26-2009, 06:28 PM
PorscheCarrera964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Wohoooooo!!

I gave all info to Alex yesterday afternoon... so it will be a few more days before I get mine. I went with the heat option. As an additional charge, Alex is going to see what can be done to get me some oval tips that I can weld once it gets here...
Let me know what happens with the oval tips, I also need a pair and think $300 is rediculous for them

What will you guys be running, the ones who just got it. Anyone gonna run straights and go ***** to the wall? I should have my straights tomorrow, and plan on putting them on once I get back from phoenix this weekend
Old 03-26-2009, 06:40 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HalV
Actually, I brought this up on post #7 and am very interested to see the charts. What I'm surprised about is the fact that these were developed WITHOUT the use of a car and dyno? I know you can do a lot with CFD models but the models should always be verified with a prototype.
Hi Hal,

Yes, sorry, my post was poorly written. I was surprised that nobody referenced the link that I did showing that when Tom dyno'd his car, that it has more hp w/ the stock headers, cat and secondary bypass than the entire Fabspeed header/muffler system.

Unless the Fabspeed system was completely designed since then (and it may have), I am just going to stick to what I have w/ the bypasses incl my fabspeed cat bypass.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:45 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by forklift
Hi Hal,

Yes, sorry, my post was poorly written. I was surprised that nobody referenced the link that I did showing that when Tom dyno'd his car, that it has more hp w/ the stock headers, cat and secondary bypass than the entire Fabspeed header/muffler system.

Unless the Fabspeed system was completely designed since then (and it may have), I am just going to stick to what I have w/ the bypasses incl my fabspeed cat bypass.
Gotcha...you bring up a great point. I remember Tom's post and assumed that these were a redesign but that's another reason why I'll wait to see the charts.

They sure do look nice, though.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:55 PM
doug751
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

Will the Fabspeed supplied tips that come with the Header Muffler reach or fit correctly in the bumper cut-outs? I already know that a modified left side valence is needed.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2009, 09:48 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 964 has a somewhat convoluted exhaust system with numerous modification options available, be it headers, cat bypass, high flow cat, g pipe, high flow muffler, muffler bypass, or any combo of those.

I am surprised a company asking a premium price of a $1,000 cat back and +$2,500 full system has not done the R&D to dyno test (or publish) the configurations of what they sell.

I have done EXTENSIVE exhaust experimentation on my other vehicles and came to the conclusion there is no perfect system, but there is a perfect system for every application. Each system has advantages and drawbacks of sound vs. noise, road legality, top end power vs. midrange. It is prohibitively expensive to buy everything for the Porsche and do the same personal testing.

I am not willing to throw the dollars around for my Porsche without the manufacturer providing dyno results of: This is stock dyno, this is the same car with our catback, this is our cat back with highflow cat, this is just cat bypass, this is full race… If they are asking $2,695 each and cannot spend the $500 in dyno time I find the product line suspect.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:54 PM
doug751
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

Has anybody else installed this yet? Any new photos? HOw did it work out?

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2009, 07:35 PM
Scotty964cab
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thrilled to still see this thread going on, lots of hits.. I have visited the Fabspeed facility during the fitment of the exhaust on my 997S. I've met the staff and I enjoyed the great results. I started buying products from them when they came on the web (2002), not knowing they were in my local area. After I installed the supercharger on the 997S (2007), I decided to visit them. I needed OEM tips welded onto their straight pipes. It was like this, the building and shop were immaculate. They had lifts with filled with exotics. There were Porsches from Nevada, Lambo's being fitted with custom exhausts. I was pretty amazed. I came without an appointment, but they hooked me up right away. They love Porsches and they care! Last May, I went to their annual fundraiser for children with disabilities. These guys know their stuff and they're not just a one and done. They want you to be happy! The worldwide popularity of the 964 is causing quite a stir and a reason for further queries.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:51 AM
PorscheCarrera964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got home from phoenix today and before work had 30 minutes to spare, i put my new fabspeed straights on, screaming! Thanks alex
Old 04-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Received two boxes today...

Quick Reply: Fabspeed 964 C2/C4/RS RSR Header Muffler Kit