Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold start buzzsaw sound. i need to fix this ASAP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold start buzzsaw sound. i need to fix this ASAP!!!

hi all,

when my car isn't started for 2-3 days (rare, but it happens), there;'s a very loud and raw 'buzzsaw' sound coming from the engine right upon start-up. it almost sounds like something is moving, hitting, or running without oil for a second or two; but then after the first couple moments, the sound goes away. the car runs fine and there are no performance problems.

if i drive my 964 every day as i normally do, this sound NEVER occurs. it has NEVER happened when the car has been warm or driven 'recently'. like i said, this only happens if i let it sit for more than a day without driving it... i guess that's another reason i think it's oil related since obviously oil drains to different places after a day or two of sitting...

i think i may have posted something about this before a little while ago, but i ran a search and couldn't find the old thread. someone last time mentioned that it could possibly be a cam chain dragging? could it be possible that this sound is related to a slight oil leak out of my cam chain housing? i don't even really know where to start right now but i want to track this problem down myself. i just need to kick around some ideas here first...

i just don't want this problem to turn into anything worse and/or bring any extra wear to my engine and associated parts. that would completely suck...

thnx again,
harry
Old 08-07-2006, 01:30 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Yeah I have the same problem when my car sits for a while. I'm pretty sure my problem is the chain tensioners. Someone investigated and determined (or was told) that a likely culprit is an o-ring (seal?) that is decrepit and is allowing the oil to escape from the tensioner when it sits.

It is a horrible sound isn't it? I was hoping to get ahold of an old tensioner to see if I could just replace the seal. I never did though.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Yeh... I've looked at all my books and I can't seem to find any diagrams of this part of the assembled engine. ???

Does anyone have any diagrams or possibly know how I would go upon fixing this? I just need some direction and I can probably figure the rest out, I'm sure...

...and yes, it's a horrible sound for sure. The first time I heard it, I thought my engine was literally about to blow up or break into a million pieces.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:58 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Euromagination
i ran a search and couldn't find the old thread.
Try HERE and HERE.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:47 PM
boze_man
Pro

harry and heirsh...this buzzsaw sound you are referring to could it be like the jangling sound from "jangling at cold start" post???? seems we are all dealing with a cold start noise...mine noise sounds like piston slap in a 2 stroke motor (i.e. chainsaw/buzzsaw) or could maybe described as a "chattering"...am i making any sense or am i describing it wrong???

i had a wrench mention what it could be and he said the same thing as yours ...cam chains and lack of oil on startup??

the one article jason linked to has bob w replacing the spring tensioners and rails and noise vanished...thanks again jason
Old 08-08-2006, 09:18 AM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

The best way to describe the sound that I've seen is does it sound like a chain being dragged across the lip of an open metal barrel?

My answer is a resounding yes! But its only a sec when the car has sat for a while.

Until each of us fixes our problem, and I am in no hurry to mess with mine (maybe next year), we wont know if we share the same one. I don't know myself, but if you were really hearing piston slap wouldn't it last a lot longer? it takes only a sec to get oil in a tensioner, but to heat up the pistons and such would take a minute or so, right?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:24 AM
boze_man
Pro

regarding the piston slap sound, i was just trying to describe the sound and what it reminded me of, pretty sure it is not slap...it sounds like we are hearing the same thing, but are describing it differently...
Old 08-08-2006, 12:27 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Yeh it's always really hard to put a sound into words. I'm going to try to make an mp3 recording of the sound next time I think it will happen...

JasonAndreas thnx for finding those old threads. I honestly don't know how you did it. Usually I'm not too bad with the search function...

So we're thinking spring tensioners and rails huh?
Old 08-08-2006, 02:50 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Euromagination
So we're thinking spring tensioners and rails huh?
If you pinpoint the noise as coming from the camchain boxes before you replace anything try cleaning the tensioners, it has worked for a few people.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:24 PM
boze_man
Pro

we just have to get our stethescopes per jason...

jason is that part of the TV repairman kit?
Old 08-08-2006, 05:35 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boze_man
regarding the piston slap sound, i was just trying to describe the sound and what it reminded me of, pretty sure it is not slap.
It sounds exactly like a loose chain tensioner. Piston slap is a knocking noise that sounds just like a diesel truck idling. I know, I have one of those 2002 GMC 6 liters. 89,000 miles of piston slap and still running fine.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:20 AM
boze_man
Pro

thanks larry...at least someone knows what sound i am describing...

f11 posted what his "jangle" sounds like in his thread...i have to think we are all dealing with the same problem...

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/271491-cold-start-jangling-noise.html

take a look see...later
Old 08-09-2006, 01:14 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boze_man
is that part of the TV repairman kit?
Unfortunately not even my dad's ultimate set of tools has a stethoscope, I inherited (I think) mine from my grandmother (she worked on radios... )
Old 08-09-2006, 09:33 AM
CraigC
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Harbor freight sells a nice automotive stethoscope for about $6. I have one and it works great.
Link: http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearc...cope&Submit=Go
Old 08-12-2006, 12:45 PM
boze_man
Pro

anyone listen to the wav clip in the other thread?? similar sound??

also i do notice that my noise does not seem to go away completely...i only hear it when i am in gear and shifting at low speed...when the motor is under load...if i take it out of gear and rev it i dont hear it....but i do hear it at idle on start up...very odd...

Quick Reply: Cold start buzzsaw sound. i need to fix this ASAP!!!