Sponsored by:

Chain tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 06:06 PM
Jasko
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chain tensioner

After opening up the cam covers and taking out the chain tensioners, I found what I think is a problem with the right side chain tensioner. The left side tensioner is easily compressible by hand, and seems to move smoothly and freely. The right side seems to be locked solid, with only 1mm of play. I have taken off the circlip and spring to see if I could budge it. The piston turns smoothly in its sleeve, but will not compress. Doesn't seem to be working right, does it?
Attached Images   
Old 07-16-2006, 06:12 PM
Jasko
Racer

Another image with the tensioner in place
Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2006, 06:33 PM
DougB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been a while but I recall observing something like this with my motor and it turned out to be proper. I have a vague memory of thinking the left side was bad because it compressed too easily. The right and left side tensioners are slightly different--perhaps there's an anti-drainback valve in the right-side tensioner that prevents it from being compressed easily?

-doug
Old 07-17-2006, 12:05 AM
Jasko
Racer

Doug - Thanks - I was actually able to get it moving with some rather thorough cleaning and oiling. It must have had some sludge on the valve, because now its nice and smooth and I can compress it about 8-10 mm.

Dave
Old 07-17-2006, 08:35 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The purpose of the tensioners are such that they will fill with oil and become stiff like you have seen on your right one. Only after the oil has bled off through the oil feed hole will you be able to compress it with your hands. Since one of the tensioners fits in the engine with the hole up not allowing the oil to drain out it will be stiff. The other side with the hole pointing down will allow the oil to drain and therefore become compressable. What you are seeing is normal. Be sure to put them in your engine in the correct orientation or you will have issues.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:44 AM
Jasko
Racer

Thanks Geoffrey - thats what I attributed it to initially as well - however, on closer inspection, this one is the right hand tensioner, which is the one with the oil inlet on the bottom - can't figure why it got stuck, but its smooth now, with no catching.

I wonder if it was not compressing while in the engine and for how long.

Dave

Last edited by Jasko; 07-17-2006 at 08:51 AM. Reason: more info

Quick Reply: Chain tensioner