Sponsored by:

Cold Start Jangling Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 07:13 PM
f11
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Start Jangling Noise?

When I cold-start the car after sitting overnight in the garage, a jangling noise is quite pronounced, diminishing as the car warms up but not quite ever going away. On a north american car, I'd say its a muffler clamp that hasn't been tightened up properly, but I don't see any loose clamps after a quick look underneath. The sound seems to come more from the right rear side if I had to localize it.

Is this just "normal engine components warming up" kinda noises, and I can ignore it, or is it something to fix. Anyone got any suggestions what it might be? I'm not familiar enough yet with the engine and various hoses and clamps under the car to make my own diagnosis. I'd like to get rid of the jangling if its not normal, as it makes the car sound (to me) like its uncared for or poorly maintained.

Rod
'91 964 C4 Cab
Old 05-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does not sound normal but it might be . I'd like to be able to say its this or that , but dang if I know what to point at . Could it be the cam chains ? The chains get tension from oil , so the oil leaks down over night and the chains gets loose .
Old 05-07-2006, 12:19 AM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Yeah I've seen a lot of posts recently that could be the chains making noise. Mine make them. One guy described it as dragging a chain over the edge of a barrel. Sound like that?

Its only a couple seconds though. I figure the springs are just a little saggy and once the oil hits it they are fine. 2 seconds at most and it usually takes a few days or not driving it to have it happen. Since yours tapers off as it warms up more slowly, I don't know.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:52 PM
boze_man
Pro

any update on the jangling noise?? i also get it at start up and it does go away or at least it is less pronounced (i.e i dont notice, but i am listening now)...yday when i drove i think i heard it sometimes when i am shifting between 2/3 and lift of gas...

i hate to say this....but sounds kinda like piston slap in a 2 stroke motor (kinda like a jangling bell noise)...i.e dirt bike or chain saw etc...dont really know how to descibe any better...
Old 08-06-2006, 06:43 PM
CraigC
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rod,
You might try shining a light into your engine fan shroud to see if there are any scrape marks. I had a similar noise when I first acquired my car and it was caused by the fan rubbing the shroud, a bad thing. I replaced the fan bearing and the alternator and it no longer rubs. That fix got rid of some of the noise, although, I still have some of the jangleing noise which I think is due to a lightweight flywheel rattleing in the transmission.

Craig
91 Porsche 964 C2, Techart 18” wheels, Techart wing, RSA front sway bar, Fabspeed cat bypass, Techart J pipe, Techart chip, Techart strut brace, drilled airbox, H & R turbo springs, Koni adj.front, Bilstein HD rear, alum pedals, HID headlights, rolled fenders, Pioneer, JL audio, MB Quart, R134a.
04 Subaru WRX STI
98 Honda VTR 1000
Old 08-06-2006, 08:28 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

First thing i would do is a oil flush and oil change to see if that impoves it if you think its coming inside the engine.
I had a simular noise and found a loose 10mm bolt that holds the exhaust covers on. The washer around the nut would rattle untill the engine warms up and stops, one turn of the bolt cured it.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:25 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Loose heat shields or heater boxes make a jangle that can go away when the system heats up. Try bumping those parts gently and see if you hear the noise.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Mine does it too...goes away when warmed up so I checked for loose exhaust which didn't fix it so I guessed heater boxes or shields and now I ignore it. Always the smart thing to do NOT!
Old 08-06-2006, 11:20 PM
BlackWidow964
Instructor

Default My RS America has a 'rattly' noise too

My 93 RSA has a noise that is much more pronounced when cold, that seems to be the throwout bearing. It quiets down as the car reaches normal operating temperature, but will immediately disappear the moment the clutch pedal is depressed. I've got a lightweight aluminum flywheel, with an RS clutch. Does yours differ on clutch use at all? Anyone know if that noise is normal? It's done this since purchased in April, with no ill effects. Doesn't seem right, but everything works fine, the cars' an absolute track 'weapon', so pulling the motor mid track-season if it's not unusual is making me wonder if I should leave well enough alone until it needs attention. Any words of wisdom out there?
Old 08-06-2006, 11:34 PM
boze_man
Pro

Originally Posted by BlackWidow964
Does yours differ on clutch use at all? :
Widow....i can not confirm but i think i may have noticed it when i shifted between 2/3 and lift off throttle...cant really say at this time as i am still trying to pin it down.....normally i only hear (or notice it when it is cold) and i beleive it goes away after warm, but the last time i had it out i was really trying to listen for it...not sure if my mind is palying tricks on me because today i heard it in my wifes SUV...i am going crazy me thinks
Old 08-06-2006, 11:57 PM
BlackWidow964
Instructor

Boze

Doesn't sound like the circumstances mine 'rattles' with - mine seems much more clutch related, and is only noticable sitting still in neutral. I'm awfully curious though what yours turns out to be. I'll let you know same if I ever figure out mine, but my money's on a throwout bearing.

Congrats on your RSA - My Brother in Law's got one, and I bought mine in April from a guy in San Diego after I saw on the RSAmerica.net registry. We're both having a hoot up here in the Seattle area at track days & just got our certifications to qualify for our Novice racing licenses. There's a mess of RSA's up here - after 3 track days at Pacific Raceways in Kent, we've seen 5 other RSA's - besides our own, and there's more we hear talk of.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:06 AM
boze_man
Pro

widow...will keep ya posted on the jangle...also congrats and good luck with yours...man u guys are going all out with the racing license and such saty safe and have fun...later

like the red eyes...
Old 08-07-2006, 01:11 AM
f11
Instructor

I've been under my car with a rubber mallet and banged on everything that looked even remotely jangley... nothing even vibrated,let alone jangled. If its something loose, its up under the bottom plates.

Mine is definitely NOT clutch related, or at least not engagement-disengagement related. Its loudest when the car starts and diminishes to about half loudness as it gets warm. But when I pass by a curb on the right side with the top down and/or the passenger window down, I can hear that damn jangling even when the motor is at full operating temperature. It sure diminishes the impact of the car's first impression when it sounds like I've let the engine run without oil, or something similar.

I've been told its probably the timing chain(s) making their noises in an unjacketed air-cooled engine, and while I'm no expert, I'm inclined to accept that explanation - for now. But that doesn't mean I don't want to be rid of it.

I'll see if I can't get a decent recording of the noise from cold start and post the .wav file here for others to compare to.

Rod
Old 08-07-2006, 01:21 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by bozeman
any update on the jangling noise??
Does it sound like a sewing machine, tick-tick-tick-tick? I would go down to the local pharmacy and purchase a stethoscope for $5USD. It's almost trivial to locate the source of a noise using one.

Originally Posted by BlackWidow964
will immediately disappear the moment the clutch pedal is depressed. I've got a lightweight aluminum flywheel, with an RS clutch.
That is the normal gearbox & shift rod sound that you hear with a LWF and one of the reasons why Porsche will only use dual-mass flywheels on their street cars.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:51 AM
boze_man
Pro

Originally Posted by f11
Its loudest when the car starts and diminishes to about half loudness as it gets warm. But when I pass by a curb on the right side with the top down and/or the passenger window down, I can hear that damn jangling even when the motor is at full operating temperature.
Rod
pretty much my situation as well...

Quick Reply: Cold Start Jangling Noise?