Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Carrera on my desk - UPDATED

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 07:35 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh yeah; I agree with jim. This is kind of a self-defeating greed. The clock is cool, but now extra clocks will be few and far between. Can't you take 993 stock?

Some things look great on paper, but not so great in reality.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:20 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess we all better buy one so we have a spare clock available for our cars if we ever need it.

Marc
Old 04-20-2006, 02:08 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hawk911
oh yeah; I agree with jim. This is kind of a self-defeating greed. The clock is cool, but now extra clocks will be few and far between. Can't you take 993 stock?

Some things look great on paper, but not so great in reality.
This is true.

I have to also admit that I somewhat object to these "hey look at my hobby/what I made" posts that are really intended as a way to sell something from the get-go. If it was a little more forthright, I'd have less of a problem I expect.

Not that the clocks aren't a very nice idea...
Old 04-20-2006, 02:22 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Howard,
It would have nice for you to send a PM or email and discuss this with me first, before drawing a series of conclusions about someone who you've never spoken with on a public forum.

I had absolutely no intent of making more of these when I posted my initial thread. This is not a hobby of mine. The post i made differed in no way from the hundreds of posts made on Rennlist proclaiming someone's latest 'mod'. As soon as I posted pictures of the clock, emails and PMs started coming in asking if I would make more. I work in Real Estate - not clock manufacturing. After seeing the amount of interest from fellow Rennlisters, I decided to look into this and see if it was feasible to make more. To date, I have spent considerable amounts of money sourcing a handful of clocks and getting the manufacturing for the wood bases set up.

It saddens me that you see this as some sort of self-promoting money maker for me. Perhaps you should find the original thread in the 993 forum and then rethink your perceptions of me.

Andreas
Old 04-20-2006, 02:38 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Andreas, I have no intention of searching for other threads, its just a further waste of time. I read this one which went from "Hey look at this..." to "As for the price, I will know more once I get a quote or two back from some of the woodworking companies I contacted..." LMAO!

Anyway don't be offended its just an observation that we get a lot of this type of thing!

Old 04-20-2006, 03:01 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Howard,
Again, this project grew from the interest expressed by others. It was not my intention to make these in quantity. What is your motivation for pissing on my efforts?

Since you could not be bothered to find the original thread, see here.

Andreas
Old 04-20-2006, 03:48 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
Andreas, I have no intention of searching for other threads, its just a further waste of time. I read this one which went from "Hey look at this..." to "As for the price, I will know more once I get a quote or two back from some of the woodworking companies I contacted..." LMAO!
Might I interject here?

(Disclosure: Andreas and I work together in real estate. He is a friend and just a darn good guy.)

Howard, you really owe it Andreas to read the thread, especially after he suggested it, as opposed to dismissing the request as a "waste of time". He is not making a pile of money by offering these clocks. He has been quietly making a few cool Porsche things, simply because he loves Porsches, and not showing them on Rennlist. The clock was a one-off piece that he made for himself and showed to the 993 board without any intention of marketing them. A few of us liked them so much that we asked he if he would make one for us. That's all.

There is no nefarious, power-grabbing plan to corner the market on used clocks, so those of you who think that one man can really drive up the price of clocks might want to buy a clock now to hedge your bets against this global market run. Even if the price were to go up, is this reason enough for him to abandon his project? Hardly.

What's truly disappointing is not that Andreas, recent 993 owner and member in very good standing, is acting in the purest Rennlist spirit by taking his own time to accommodate our requests and having people question his motives. Fair enough. Rennlist is rife with charlatans and hoodlums who wish to relieve us of our money. But what is most disappointing is that his request for a, hopefully, impartial review was patently dismissed as a "waste of time". It is very unfair to make these accusations and not delve deeper to see if you've made a mistake and misjudged the person and the actions. You have definitely erred in this regard, Howard. I know you are a good guy, too, and have been a valued contributor to the boards.

Andreas, keep on doing what you're doing. Apparently, some of these guys can't see through the rarified air of their own bubble and are too worried about how this gift to the community will affect them. "Self-defeating greed"?? Please. Hey, I wonder if Bill Gates is reading this thread worrying about the enormous profit you'll make on this project, thereby knocking him off of the top of the Forbes Richest People list? Or maybe you can stop fretting over your daughter's college education fund with the enormous profits you'll reap from this brilliant "scheme".

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 04-20-2006 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:53 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mark, I am sure Andreas is a real nice guy. Nothing in his thread would suggest otherwise. You obviously take this as very personal - its not. I am not sure what all this "good standing" stuff is about but find it rather supercilious.

Not for one moment is this seen as being a 'nefarious, power-grabbing plan to corner the market on used clocks' …LMAO @ this! As I said, I think the clocks are pretty cool. I'm just cranky and a tad fed up with feeling like a captive audience for so many marketeers (or those who simply want to indulge themselves). It’s really not a big deal, more of an observation.

When I initially opened the thread and read the first post I had wondered “ok…how long till we start seeing a solicitation for orders?” Well…I wasn’t far wrong! However, my point was really more to the fact that I would have preferred a thread along the lines of “Hey I made this...wanna buy one?” I would take much less umbrage to that. It’s just a small nit! Again….the clocks are cool, they are clever and artistic.

I wish I had kept my mouth shut!

PS. Mark, you also misquote me. I did not imply that 'an impartial review' (for whatever reason you would want one..?) was a "waste of time" but suggested that spending more time reading through threads was simply not necessary.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:20 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

This is starting to sound like a OT board thread
Old 04-20-2006, 06:28 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, and it might be one soon.

Marc
Old 04-20-2006, 06:31 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimq
This is starting to sound like a OT board thread
Yeah, It is...and I apologize as its really my fault. I typed initially without engaging my brain. There was no intent to start a flame.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Howard,

You've missed the point of my post.

Referring to you or Andreas as "good guys" was not supercilious in the slightest, but the rest of my thread clearly smacked of it. There'll be no attempt on my part to paint it as anything else. The Rennlist community usually treats strangers with a more wary eye than members in good standing or valuable contributors.

"Spending more time reading through threads was simply not necessary"?? Why? To have less of an understanding? Hmmm, that's not fair (or impartial. Get it?). I understand your last post to a point but stating it's a waste of time to have a better understanding before or after you judge someone is a flippantly annoying answer

Andreas' motives were never to solicit orders from the board as a "money-making" enterprise. Give me a break. It truly was a personal endeavor that he wanted to share. If this is somehow incomprehensible, well, trying to convince you would clearly be a, um, waste of time.

In case it's lost on anyone here, let these troop of smilies underscore my thoughts:

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 04-20-2006 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:24 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The following is intended to be a simple, non-threatening, innocent addition to this discussion: You can make this yourself pretty easily. When he first posted on the 993 board he listed the components he used.

I plan on making my own... I'm into woodworking as a pretty serious hobby so I want one out of some really different wood species. Something with a wild burl... or something else different. Still thinking about it. OK, I'm a wood nerd. So what?

Anyhow, just a thought I thought I'd toss in. All you need to do is apply 12v to one of these clocks, trigger the 2 contacts that set the time and bada-bing, bada-boom, you got a clock. Put it in whatever you like.

All in all, a really cool idea.

That I am going to steal.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:28 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Mark,
You are correct. It's a pretty simply design. And yet many expressed an interest. Hence my subsequent follow-up and personal time spent getting this thing off the ground.

Andreas
Old 04-20-2006, 08:31 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Mark,

You greedy, self-serving bastard. What's next, an offer to sell them to Rennlisters? How dare you affront the forum in this way? I'll bet you've had your eye on a milky white Excalibur with a Cleveland 351 and are using this project to attain your dream car. Come on, say it.

(Please note: I'm being sarcastic here. Thank you. )

Quick Reply: A Carrera on my desk - UPDATED