A Carrera on my desk - UPDATED

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 09:29 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Miguel
Drink beer all night long is lousy... makes you pee every 5 minutes...how about red wine, lets the conversation flow, it is fantastic.
Glad that we've got this thread moving in the right direction! (sorry again Andreas, but hey the hijacking keeps the thread bumped... right?! )

Actually Miguel, living in Northern california means its easy stay supplied with wonderful merlots, cabernets and zinfandels for few dollars. The problem for me is the dehydration and headaches I get from too much of the grape.

Strangely enough though I can drink Remy all night long and feel fine (at least until morning anyway!)
Old 04-29-2006, 10:56 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Howard,

Sorry to burst the advertising bubble but Fosters isn't as popular as they make out. Usually I go for Victoria Bitter or Carlton Draught. But peoples choices vary from state to state.

Either way, any Rennlister is welcome to come round to my place and check out what's in the fridge

Miguel,

I don't think I mentioned "all night" did I? I believe the time frame was the point where standing becomes doubtful!

Cheers to everybody. I like a happy helpful forum

Frank
Old 05-01-2006, 05:58 AM
Miguel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YOU DID MENTION "ALL NIGHT", OR UNTIL YOUR WIVES SHOWED UP ( WHICH LEFT ME KINDA WORRIED....) why was i writing in capital letters? Anyway, Red Wine is the Only drink ( apart from water ). You guys have wonderful wine in Australia and California, BUT.... lets leave it at that. ..BUT...

Old 05-01-2006, 06:06 AM
Miguel
Pro

Ok, sorry,, you did not say all night.. you said "till morning"...It is different in fact, it has an inherent aspirational and circumstancional longing for the sunlight as opposed to the placebo effect of nocturnal darkness as the vault for hidden intrincacies of the inner being...

Now isnt this a to the point analysis??
Old 05-01-2006, 07:49 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Hi Miguel,

If you were down here in Australia I'd come round to your house and drink beer till we both couldn't stand up!!!!

I find that usually makes everybody feel better.

Till the morning or when wives arrive home, which ever comes first!!
I am sorry, They way I wrote it and the way I meant it to be read are two different things.

I meant drink till we can't stand up (no time limit intended here) because that usually makes you feel better "untill morning" when you would normally feel worse. Or untill the wife gets home which undoubtedly makes everyone feel worse

Was that just as confusing??
Old 05-01-2006, 08:28 AM
Miguel
Pro

Noo.. its not confusing. it is great!
The only sadness I get left with has to do with the collapse of the Fosters myth....

Cheers for "Down Under"!!
Old 05-22-2006, 12:43 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

As a general update to this thread, here is the PM I sent last week to all of the confirmed buyers:

"I've been busy bringing my Carrera clock project to completion, and as such, just wanted to send an update. To date, I have purchased enough used clock assemblies to make 20 desk clocks. This, in and of itself, was an adventure, as many of the clocks were not as described once I received them. After categorizing all of the clocks by condition, I finally decided to bite the bullet and send the entire batch off to North Hollywood Speedometer for refurbishment. Some of the clocks simply needed a new trim ring (to replace scratched and dented rings) while others needed the inside of the lens cleaned (most of the clocks had a hazy appearance on the inside). A few of the clocks had a delaminating issue around the perimeter of the dial. With luck, I should have all of the clocks back in my possession this week.

In the meantime, I found a woodworking company in Minnesota that was willing to take on the task of milling a run of identical wood blanks from Red Alder. The Rennlist phrase, "While you're in there" came to mind, so I had the company finish sand and lacquer the pieces as well. I also took the opportunity to design a logo which they have laser-engraved on the bottom. These should arrive this week as well.

When not busy with my regular job, or caring for our newborn, I busied myself with fabricating an identical set of 20 wire harnesses. All of the connections are neatly soldered and covered with heat shrink tubing. I took care to ensure that these clocks will function perfectly for many years. I located a great electronics source in California that stocked the correct, regulated 12v AC adaptors and found the rest of the necessary electrical connectors and wiring locally. As you can see, I've spent a great deal of time and effort (and money) to make sure that you will enjoy your clock. I should have everything ready by the end of the month and will contact you again at that point. As soon as the first one is completely assembled, I’ll be sure to send a picture or two."

Andreas
Old 05-22-2006, 03:23 PM
Miguel
Pro

looking forward to see them clocks!
Old 05-23-2006, 07:12 AM
David P
Instructor

Either way, any Rennlister is welcome to come round to my place and check out what's in the fridge
I might just take up up on that!

Frank are you in the PCV?

DavidP

PS Nice clock Andreas
Old 06-06-2006, 01:43 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

There is a faint glimmer of light visible at the end of the tunnel...

After sending the entire batch of wood blanks back to Minnesota to have the hole diameter increased by 4 mm, I have the pieces back in my possession. All of the clock assemblies made a much-needed cross-country trip to North Hollywood Speedometer in order to remedy a variety of aesthetic ailments. So now it's assembly time. Some soldering here, a bit of sanding there, and then the final test to see if each clock functions as it should. Well, I've only completed two. But that's progress...

I have attached pictures of the first completed clock. This is how each clock will look when I ship it out. I hope the end result is worth the effort invested, as it's been a great learning experience, and a fun project. I expect to have all of the clocks assembled within the next week (or so). At that point, I'll contact each buyer individually for the all-important payment and shipping details

Would I consider another batch? Potentially. But the price will need to go up and I'll probably require deposits from interested buyers. I incurred a number of costs that I never anticipated at the onset. Chief among these were clocks that arrived and were not even close to how the seller represented them. Rectifying these issues became painfully expensive

Enjoy:

Andreas
Old 06-06-2006, 02:07 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

That looks very, very good. Congrats.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:26 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice craftsmanship.
You had a heat-stamp made! Nice touch
Old 06-06-2006, 08:35 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you going to make it able to have all the warning lamps lit? I think they look cool that way...
Old 06-06-2006, 09:02 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Mark,
Actually, the company that milled the wood blanks sent the finished pieces to another company that laser-engraved the logo I designed. The seriel numbers are done by me with an electric engraver - not quite as nice

Pete,
It's certainly possible - if I make another batch. It's as easy as soldering a continuous wire to each of the warning light pins - and tying that in to a separate light switch.

Andreas
Old 06-06-2006, 09:03 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

This is very nice! If you do another batch please count me in as I just now saw the thread Bought a 996 and got distracted from this board...darn it! Great Job!!

Quick Reply: A Carrera on my desk - UPDATED