Diag interface & Software

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 04:26 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by MA7008O
Actually it would be a great idea to have a relation with the normal range for the values, minimum and maximums, etc....
What values would you like? Everything is listed in the workshop manuals.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:05 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to know what values we are supposed to see on the ox sensor? In the workshop manual it says 150-900mV. I've seen 4 to something in the 150 range. Under full throttle acceleration I think I see 145-146 very stable, but I wouldnt swear to it.

When I depress the gas only enough to get the system out of idle I see the highest numbers 155 something. Then if I wait long enough I can force that problem I have that occurs when I give it more gas. The sensor signal then drops to 4 and sits there till it fixes tself or I trigger wot, which the cures it.

So I'm wanting to know what I should be seeing for ox sensor values in this software? Typical ranges?

edit:

oh and how about the afm readings? What are people seeing at idle? wot? I see about 1.1v idle and I'm not sure about wot throttle yet.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:58 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

I'd like to know where the freak I can get an interface board. I'd really like to not have to build one at the moment and the ross tech and ecufix sites say "out of production - no longer available" and "sold out" respectively.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Heirsh,
With the fuel system in closed loop and the O2 sensor working you will see the O2 output swing from low to high and back low again with a pretty constant duty cycle .
WOT will give a "high " output.
When you lift off ,the O2 will go low for a while and then recover to the up/down situation.
Problem with using a standard narrow band O2 sensor as a diagnostic tool is that the fuelling change to achieve low and high outputs is small .
For example if the O2 output goes low, is this a small departure from 14.7 AFR or no fuel at all ! No way to tell !
This is why I suggested getting a wideband so you can really see what is happening.
Hope that helps

All the best

Geoff
Old 05-27-2006, 03:13 AM
Eric33
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MA7008O
- Can some one post a pics showing what leg/s of what led/s need to be cut?
As MA7008O, I would like to know :
- if the interface can work with both K & L leds?
- if you are obliged to cut legs from them ?
Old 05-27-2006, 05:49 AM
robbed666
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The interface most probably wont work with both LEDS connected. This is due to the loading of one of the opto couplers output. The LEDs increase the load by a factor of 10. 10K collector load with out LED, 10K in parallel with LED and 1K series resistor, with LED. The transistor in the opto coupler is most probably not being driven into saturation, so this increased load pulls the 'on' (0) output level of the interface above the acceptable '0' threshold of ECU. Just cut R9 or one of the LED legs. You have a 'indicator' on the software simulating one of the LEDS anyway.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:25 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Finally got my interface, thanks U.S. Post Office You sat on it from May 8 to May 26!

I had plenty of time to digest this thread, including cutting the LED.

I immediately tried it out and found a series of codes, including the "seat belt / airbag" fault (I lived with it for 3 years, including a $100.00 Hammer reset that lasted a whole 5 days).

I pulled the clock and did the DIY on resoldering the connections, reinstalled it and reset the fault code.

Also had a CCU fan fault, pulled the CCU and gave the fan a shot of oil, now it runs freely!

This interface and software are fantastic, and paid for themselves 10x over. Thanks to all of you who contributed to this post, especially for the software.

Now it is a wait and see!

Last edited by LouZ; 05-30-2006 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:41 PM
Toddimus
Instructor

Thumbs up THANKS to all!

I read thru this whole thread a couple of times, and decided to give it a shot. Laurence sent me the files, and I built the circuit following the schematic from Gregg K that's included with the zip file.

Works great!. I finally cleared my airbag light that came on when the battery had gone flat. Idle adaptation, fault codes, sensor inputs, fantastic!!!

Thanks guys (Doug, Laurence, Gregg, et al) for making this available to us!

p.s. I vote for more work on the C4 PDAS bleeding routine please! Then we'd be completely set. Beggars can't be choosers, I fully understand. It would be great though.

Also, has anybody worked on an "instruction set" for this package? It's pretty self expanatory, but maybe an explanation of the jumpers on the circuit, fault codes, procedures, etc.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

If there was an award for the single most useful thing to come out of this forum I would vote for Doug . Spending hours on this software and then just making it available to everyone is an astonishing act in todays world.

Just my $0.02

Geoff
Old 06-03-2006, 08:46 PM
Toddimus
Instructor

AGREED! Doug, we all owe you one!
Old 06-04-2006, 12:23 AM
DougB
Advanced

I'm really very happy with the number of people who have found use for this little piece of software and were willing to tackle the electronics portion to make it work.

My car has been in pieces for the last few months but will soon be back together--It's my only test-bed so until I get it on the road again I can't do much with the software.

One thing that is going to be a challenge is the PDAS system. I have the diss-assembled code for Motronic which makes it possible to determine all of diagnostics ability of the ECU but I've got nothing for PDAS. PDAS does work with all the standard functions like read codes and clear codes but the method for activating the diff locks and bleeding has eluded me! The only way I know how to approach the PDAS system is to hook up a sniffer to a Hammer or PST. Any thoughts on this?

-doug
Old 06-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DougB
I'm really very happy with the number of people who have found use for this little piece of software and were willing to tackle the electronics portion to make it work.

-doug
Doug, I think we're the happy ones And you're a great guy for creating and sharing something that increases our ability to tend to our cars. Many, many thanks
Old 06-04-2006, 11:26 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

is there any chance that someone would be willing to fab up a few interfaces to sell to us electronicaly challanged ones? It doesnt look like there is any supply of ready made ones out there.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:51 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

DougB ,
I will have a go at logging the Hammer PDAS commands and responses .
It will be next week before I can get to it .

All the best
Geoff
Old 06-05-2006, 06:29 AM
LeRoux Strydom
Instructor

DougB,
I agree that we all owe you a BIG thanks!

Do you have any plans to complete or implement the idle adaptation? Not that it matter to me with an option 150 cat (no O2, no cat) but others might find it useful.

I would help with the PDAS if I could, but my C2 says no go.

Quick Reply: Diag interface & Software