Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the best speakers for a C2 regardless of price?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 11:11 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts
Default What are the best speakers for a C2 regardless of price?

I put in a high end Pioneer stereo and now it's time to make it sound better. I'm tired of getting into my wifes car, my truck, and just about ANYONE else's vehicle and having the tunes sound 1000% better than the tinny, bass-less, mid-range-less poop coming out of my speakers. I know Marc S. put some Infinity's in his, were they a GREAT improvement? My stereo has the power and (XM radio) clarity, (but I will add an amp if need be)... need speakers that fit AND work.

No, I don't want a boom-box mobile... . I listen to Jazz and classic rock.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:38 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately the size of the interior and placement of the speakers will never sound as good as a modern car with an "upgraded" factory system....not without spending a lot of money and drilling things and building kicker boxes (the last two being things at least being things I'd think you want to avoid). I dumped a lot of money in my first 911's stereo system, and never bothered to do anything as involved with my next two. The current car I wanted to keep stock looking actually, so gave up some performace instead of cutting in larger speakers.

Sorry I'm of zero help to your question, but just wanted you to realize it would be very hard (but not impossible) to get a truely good sound in the 911. The music is in the engine

I had a 1998 Cadillac STS with the 425 watt bose system- that thing sounded awesome! But that was a much bigger car, with a factory subwoofer in the rear deck that used the whole trunk of a baffel (no it wasn't a boom-box setup- you could hear every instrument in any jazz CD and the weird drug/crazy messages in the backgroud of the classic Pink Floyd CDs ).
It's tough to get that kind of a sound in our 911s.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:44 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

My buddy had a good idea, put a Fabspeed dual-out on her..

The way I see it, if Bose can make a clock radio sound like a concert hall there MUST be some high-end speakers out there that can at least sound "good" at medium volumes. Funny thing is, both my new 997S and my wifes BMW had/have Bose systems in them and they sound wonderful...

Best speakers I can find (front only from Crutchfield) are Alpines so fat, and they aren't all that expensive ($89 each).
Old 03-28-2006, 11:46 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Dyn-Audio do some very nice high end car audio (probably the best). I have an old set in my car, although the prev owner did have to increase the door hole sizes a bit to fit them...you WILL need an amp to run them though. tafkai knows a lot about this area

http://www.dynaudiousa.com/products/car/car1.htm
Old 03-28-2006, 11:51 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

infinity kappa perfect for the doors
http://www.infinitysystems.com/carau...y.aspx?Cat=COS

KAPPA462.7CFP 4" x 6" two-way plate loudspeaker for the rear
http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='KAPPA462.7CFP'&Ser=KAP&Cat=MEL

an alpine amp to match .
Old 03-28-2006, 11:58 AM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Focals for the doors, JL subs for the floors.........

Contact Rod Birch at Car Audio Innovations.......(no affiliation).......

He has been specializing in Porsche's for many years, knows what works and what doesn't, and is extremely passionate about what he does......he won't steer you in the wrong direction.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:08 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Indycam
infinity kappa perfect for the doors
http://www.infinitysystems.com/carau...y.aspx?Cat=COS

KAPPA462.7CFP 4" x 6" two-way plate loudspeaker for the rear
http://www.infinitysystems.com/carau...er=KAP&Cat=MEL

An alpine amp to match .
Now that looks like we are getting somewhere! As far as an Amp, I see that the KAPPA PERFECT5.1 is 100W RMS and 400W max while the KAPPA462.7CFP 4x6 are 60W RMS and 180 Max. As I am not up on all this, what type of amplifier would I require for my Pioneer DEH P-3600? It's continuos power output is 22W per channel minimum into 4ohms and Maximum power output is 50W x 4.

Jeremy, was typing this as you were responding it seems. Thank you, I will call him as the more I know the better! I don't want to put in floor subs, but i'm sure he will have other suggestions..

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2006, 12:20 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Gary,
Nice track car!! Another Dan special, should be a blast.

I found that the Dynaudio are the best but pricey. I have their speakers for my surround system at home, very nice. They build recording studio speakers as their primary line.

The MB quarts top of the line are not bad. They fit well with limited mods.

I had an old set of Boston Acoustics with 5 inch mid bass and 1 inch tweeters front and rear in my previous SC. With Soundstream amps and Nakamichi head unit. Came as close to perfection in a 911 that I had heard without cannibalizing the car. The problem is the rear speakers more than the fronts and you need to direct the sound so separates usually work better.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Thanks Anthony, but the real question here is when are you going to sell me that BEAUTIFUL Turbo?
Old 03-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

ALPINE MRV-T757 . Its way to big to fit under the seat . Its way to heavy for a porsche race car .
But it will power the speakers to melt down .

If I were you I would try without an amp first . 50 watts per , if its really 50 and clean , should be very nice . Not going to be super compitition level , not going to bumpa da bump every house you drive past , but your not looking for that I guess .
If the 50w does not cut it , ie the thing starts to sound bad at high , then maybe go look for an amp.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:34 PM
Bangkokian
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have four Focal K2's in my "other" car, with a pair of Boston Pro 12 subs, all powered by a pair of Precision Power Amps. Great sound at both low and high volume levels! Love the sound and am seriously considering just Focal's for the 964, with perhaps a Blaupunkt Bremen head unit change out. No experience with the Bremen, but am surely happy to hear opinions.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:57 PM
Slappy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope ... same car as last year ... just a with a new Transylvania Speed Shop exterior/interior makeover ... the real racing stuff,underneath the pretty paint job, was already done by Hairy Dog Grrage.

Get a bloody Fabspeed dual out and you will not have to worry about the quality of your tunes ... what did you say ? ... I can't hear you !!!
Old 03-28-2006, 01:04 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Slappy
Get a bloody Fabspeed dual out and you will not have to worry about the quality of your tunes ... what did you say ? ... I can't hear you !!!
Sure, easy for YOU to say!

A. Ya got the Fabspeed as a GIFT.
B. Ya screwed the pooch while installing your bling-bling remote door unlocker and you HAVE no rear speakers anymore!!
Old 03-28-2006, 01:11 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

The DEH P-3600 has a built in amp .
Old 03-28-2006, 01:37 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Originally Posted by Slappy

Nope ... same car as last year ... just a with a new Transylvania Speed Shop exterior/interior makeover ... the real racing stuff,underneath the pretty paint job, was already done by Hairy Dog Grrage.

I thought it was silver before. I hope I'm not loosing it.

I have the new Nackamichi Cd-500 in my 928 it has 47 watts by 4 built in. Very clean and one of the best sounding units I have heard. It is 24 bit and has ipod connections. I used a seperate amp with the sub out to power larger speakers to give it some punch. You could probably mount a small sub under the passanger foot panel to add extra bass and locate the sub amp under the drivers seat replacing the factory amp.

Regarding the turbo

Quick Reply: What are the best speakers for a C2 regardless of price?