Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the best speakers for a C2 regardless of price?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 12:00 AM
targatime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear deck speakers

I've been told rear decks dont matter, but there are certainly some experts on this thread. Opinions on the rear deck...do they matter.

What type of A/D/S are people using...I was told they dont make 4x6 anymore.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:31 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Originally Posted by targatime
I've been told rear decks dont matter, but there are certainly some experts on this thread. Opinions on the rear deck...do they matter.

What type of A/D/S are people using...I was told they dont make 4x6 anymore.
IMO the rears are most important. I had A/D/S separates in my SC before some A hole broke in and stole them. Replaced them with the Boston Acoustics separates.

Because of the window placement I found having a separate tweeter that can be diretced as needed worked much better than the plates. I also found the round drivers have larger magnets and gave better low end then the 4X6 driver.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:46 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Here are some pictures of the separates I had in the SC. The BA 5 inch mid sub and 1/2 inch tweeter up front and their 7inch mid sub 1inch tweeter directed forward in the rear. They sounded great although I think the A/D/S sounded better.

Not the best picture but it gives you an idea how they mounted and it looked relatively clean.
Attached Images   
Old 03-30-2006, 11:24 AM
jeff522
Racer

FWIW I have MB Quarts in front.Thay sound good and have not degraded over time.The rear is a real problem.From an auido standpoint it really dose not matter what you put in the deck it will not sound good.It is a very poor sound stage.I made boxs for 5.25 component speakers and placed them on the folded down seat,sounded ok looked real dumb.I am in the process of taking out the back seat and once I do will mount boxs down low agin.To boost base I put 2 10 inch subs in a box up front in the"trunk".It really helped the base,but it made my feet vibrate so I removed them.My daily driver is an E class Benz with custom sound.It sounds really great I know my 964 no matter what I do or how much money I spend will never come close to it.A 964 is made to drive,not for music.I could have spent 3 or 4 times more on my 964,but I dought it would sound any better.Esp at speed with the windows down on a spring day.Truth is I don't use the stereo much I like the engine better.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:35 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jeff522- you're experience mirrors mine and sums up my opinion anyway of trying to get really good sound in our cars. Once I spent all that money on the '78, I just did simple alpine CD detachable face unit + decent amp mounted in the trunk + good front "seperates" for the '87 and then the '93 I have now. I learned with the first car it can only get so good without dumping a lot of money.

By the way, because I didn't want to drill I used the stock sized holes with MB quarts (5.25 inch?) on my current 911, but on my '87 I had the bigger (6.5 inch?) Boston Acoustics put in- they sounded very nice & gave more bass due to the size than my MB quarts, but again the sound in any of my 911s is not as good as my daily driver sedan. That is, the sound from the speakers I'm referring to
Old 03-30-2006, 11:38 AM
Bangkokian
Instructor

Unless you feel like spoiling the passengers in the rear seat, why not spoil yourself and allocate your priorities to the front speakers which are closest to you and in front of your ears. High and mid frequency ranges are quite directional therefor listener proximity is quite important, whereas lows (bass and sub-bass) are not so much. Also, your rear deck speakers are very close to your back window, which has very poor accoustic qualities, however because the sound comes from the same general location as the engine, I would guess that perhaps this is one reason why Porsche put speakers in the rear deck. In other words, music will arrive at your years at the same time as your engine sound, hence working somewhat similar to noise reduction in terms of listening to the music. Just a thought.
Also, it is very well known that oval speakers (6x9 or otherwise) generally do not have good sound quality compared to round speakers. Selection availability of oval speakers is limited as well.
So in my opinion, concentrate on the front speakers if your just thinking about changing speakers. If you're still not satisfied, work on the head unit, power and sub-bass.
Oh, one other thing, what I think sounds good, may be totally different from what you like. Thats one of the reasons why audiophiles choose different speaker (and other equipment) high-end brands, even though they are all expensive and successful in sales. Also, the type of music you listen to will also dictate what equipment you should choose. My home Sonas Faber's with VTL tube pre-amp and amp sound GREAT for vocals, classical and a lot of jazz, but I surely wouldn't recommend them for rock.
Or,, you could just listen to the sweet sound of the six speakers in horizontal configuration under the rear deck lid! ;-)
Old 03-30-2006, 11:56 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Interesting how many different opinions there are on this subject.

I think the only thing we agree on is that the best music comes from the engine.

I do not want to cut up my turbo so I am staying with speakers that fit the factory grills and the MB quarts up front. So long as you do this it will never sound good.

My personal experience with stereos in 3 911's over the years was that the rears set up as I had will deliver the best sound. The larger mid bass drivers in the rear gave adequate bass and the directed tweeters send the sound to your ears better than anything in the doors. I rarely have a passenger in the rear and if i do you can't play the stereo anyhow unless you turn it all up front. The door tweeters are always blocked by yours or the passengers legs and to focus on the front will only give you tinny sound that gives no depth. You need to fill the compartment with sound to really get a full sound from the 911. This requires properly placed larger speakers with ample power to drive it. It will never sound good at low volumes because you are constantly fighting engine noise.

The setup I showed on my SC rivaled the sound of the Bose system in my Cayenne turbo which is an excellent sounding system.

Just my .02 worth.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Anthony - gauges on the glovebox look very cool.

I wondered about the airbag before I realized it was your SC, not your 965.

Marc
Old 03-30-2006, 11:22 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Originally Posted by cobalt
Interesting how many different opinions there are on this subject.

I think the only thing we agree on is that the best music comes from the engine.

I do not want to cut up my turbo so I am staying with speakers that fit the factory grills and the MB quarts up front. So long as you do this it will never sound good.

My personal experience with stereos in 3 911's over the years was that the rears set up as I had will deliver the best sound. The larger mid bass drivers in the rear gave adequate bass and the directed tweeters send the sound to your ears better than anything in the doors. I rarely have a passenger in the rear and if i do you can't play the stereo anyhow unless you turn it all up front. The door tweeters are always blocked by yours or the passengers legs and to focus on the front will only give you tinny sound that gives no depth.
Cobalt
I had my audio guy build a bracket so the door speakers were aimed more at the person towards the center of the car. With DSP it is possible to program the sound for each person but in the 964 Cab there's not a lot of space to do all that and have a tennis bag fit.
MB quartz are definitely the choice for the 964. They give the best mid-low range for the size and are lighter and smaller. My audio guy wanted to put in 8" in the doors! That would involve cutting and extra weight so I said no way.
It was amazing I stayed so sane on the cab but top down all you need is loud and clear.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:37 AM
Mavel
Advanced

Default My opinion!

I threw out the the cracked original Blaupunkt front speakers and I installed both new front speakers and a new power amplifier.

Speakers was focal, polyglass series 130 V2, type 2 way separate, exactly dimensions as the original. A crossover which was fitted instead of the old one in the doors. (follow cables)
A minor small adjustment was needed on the tweeter, but it was nothing really.
(website: http://www.focal-fr.com/car/en/polyglass/index.htm)
There are a number of rewiews there, testwinner all the time.

The amplifier fitted perfectly under the passenger seat (have a C4 -90),
it was the: audison LRx 2.150.
(http://www.audison.com/default.asp?lang=eng)

(Extremely small size, extraordinary musical performances, exceptional energy reserve. LRx 2 amplifiers have very high current supply capacity to easily drive even the most difficult loads and thrilling power, for all needs. If used alone, they are especially suitable to handle exacting, good quality speakers systems; if employed in several units, they are the best to build multi-amplification systems with very high SPL values. They have a double bypass Hi/Lo-Pass Butterworth crossover for driving multiamplified or subwoofer systems.)

The seller informed me that the sound would be better if I cut both sides of the water/condensation protection plastic cover, so that you only keep the upper 180 degrees of the cover, or else you will a get a "mailbox, narrow, can"-sound. I cut the lower part as he said.

What an improvement, what a sound!

I have an Alpine stereo and cd exchanger instead of the old Becker original.

I can warmly recommend these products although I don't know If they are available worldwide. They are perfect for the 964!

Regards

Patrik
Old 03-31-2006, 09:59 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Cost No Object:

Genesis Absolute
Audiotec-Fischer Graphic Pro
Rainbow Reference Line
Old 03-31-2006, 12:23 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rainbow CS 360.30 Reference - 3-way 17cm components £6,499.99

Rainbow CS260.30 Reference Line 2-Way Component system, 6.9 inch Woofer, 84 mm Mounting depth, Maximum 180 Watts £3,780.99

http://www.theautophile.com/products...eSpeakers.html
Old 03-31-2006, 12:32 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

I have the Infinity Kappa 4.6 plates in the rear and Polks in the doors with an Alpine head end. But since I usually drive the top off and I have a Shubert Primary Pipe - It's gotta be loud to hear any music.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:14 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

The Rainbow Reference 360 has amazing sound.The most clear and vivid sounds I've ever heard in a car speaker. But in a cab, it's wasted on engine and wind noise. So I went with MB quartz Q sig and saved a bundle(1/4 of the price). Also using an Ipod so the MP4 compression limits the clarity. The CD changer stores only classical which shines.
I am interested in the Brax (Audiotech) 2400.2 GL for my soon to be arriving new non P car. I heard it in my friend's car and it's quite comparable to the McIntosh.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:41 AM
tafkai

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...97#post2931497

i use dynadio esotars , with the "massive" tweeters in front footwell housings , and the mids in standard location .
plus an illusion audio nd10 in a custom enclosure behind drivers seat .

mcintosh 420 for fronts , mcintosh 431 for sub.

ixos ixotica connects and cant remember what speaker cables !!

i should have a denon z1 up front , but it wont play cd , so i'm using a mcintosh 406 temporarilly .

pity none of you are near me , or i could demo you just how easy it is to get good sound in a 911

Last edited by tafkai; 04-01-2006 at 01:01 PM.

Quick Reply: What are the best speakers for a C2 regardless of price?