Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the best speakers for a C2 regardless of price?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had MB Quart 6.5 component speaks in the front with AD/S 4 channel running them. The MB quarts series was perfect for my preference of classical, jazz and rock/pop. I replaced them with the MB quart Q signature last year. There is still some decent bass for the occasional bass booming.
To drive them, I'm trying to figure out a way to install the McIntosh MC406 series in the car without too much damage. It is by far the best amp I've heard and it was perfect in my M5.

Last edited by Eggplant Cab; 04-01-2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:02 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Originally Posted by Eggplant Cab
I had MB Quart 6.5 component speaks in the front with AD/S 4 channel running them. The MB quarts RSC series was perfect for my preference of classical, jazz and rock/pop. I replaced them with the MB quart Q signature last year. There is still some decent bass for the occasional bass booming.
To drive them, I'm trying to figure out a way to install the McIntosh MC406 series in the car without too much damage. It is by far the best amp I've heard and it was perfect in my M5.
Anything Mac is great. i guess if you throw it in the trunk that makes the car closer to a 50/50 weight distribution. Doesn't it weigh something like 40 pounds?
Old 03-28-2006, 02:09 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Well, I don't have the specific model numbers of what I have, but I've got a Rockford Fosgate amp attached to a small board that is strapped to the gas tank (under the carpet- it doesn't get too hot under there for the amp I've got), and the best MB quarts that would fit in the stock front door openings (I beleive the Q signatures?) I put boston acoustics in the small rear spots (I have a cabriolet), and the sterero sounds clear and good with the car off in the garage, but nothing to brag about when driving around. I knew this going into it however, and only wanted a stereo that I could hear at least with the top down without any aftermarket look or drilling of the car. Without installing subs, I'm not sure you're going to get the sound you think you may- definitely try the suggestions here (especailly the one to contact that highly recommended installer), but don't expect too much.

Also, I'd save the original Porsche head unit- the next owner may want it (not that we like to think of the "next owner"), or you never know you may want it for some reason. I just used a base alpine CD player with detatchable face- I didn't want the fancy/silly looking radios that are out there.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Originally Posted by cobalt
Anything Mac is great. i guess if you throw it in the trunk that makes the car closer to a 50/50 weight distribution. Doesn't it weigh something like 40 pounds?
That's that 300Watt per channel 2X 606 monster which is 50lbs. I don't do power like that, I like my hearing.
Problem of putting the amp in the trunk is that the Porsche trunk is small and there may not be enough air circulation to cool it. And I won't be able to even put a day pack in there after install.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:56 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I thought it was silver before. I hope I'm not loosing it.
It was, got a bare metal/windows out re-paint this winter along with RS carpets, door panels, IROC tail and rear bumper to match the front. Mucho weight went bye-bye!.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:18 PM
robbed666
Racer

FOCAL
Old 03-28-2006, 07:43 PM
tobago Bob
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set of A/D/S speakers in both doors and the rear deck. With a Mcintosh Labs amp it sounds sublime...

Tobago Bob
Slate Grey 964 springs eibach shocks Bilstein and on and on..
Old 03-28-2006, 09:57 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Many very good speakers. I like MBQuart cause they are not too heavy, but Focal are built like tanks and very musical with an aiming tweeter. You will see many Focal/JL setups in IASCA competitions, more so than MBQuart these days. About 15 years ago, MB Quart speakers and Art audio amps, were very common among winners of IASCA competitions with no clear subwoofer king. Now, seems you see lots of JL subs, but also their amps are truly remarkable and intelligently engineered with variable internal cross overs/band pass, at different roll-off rates etc.,

As is true with home setups, most of your listening qulity will depend on the confines of your environment. Generally speaking, if you want high end sound, you will need a high pass signal going to a componet speaker set up (two way, or three way speakers with appropriate cross overs) up front, with subwoofers usually in the rear with appropriate electronic low pass filter. Lots of science, and in the end you get to a point of diminishing returns, but great boasting rights.

Jaime
Old 03-28-2006, 10:34 PM
targatime
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've been told the A/D/S components are perfect for the car. The high end stereo place in Milwaukee does about 50 Porsche's a year...and that is what they told me to put in. The wont put them in without an amp. Their opinion of the stock amp is junk
Old 03-28-2006, 11:48 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Originally Posted by tobago Bob
I have a set of A/D/S speakers in both doors and the rear deck. With a Mcintosh Labs amp it sounds sublime...

Tobago Bob
Slate Grey 964 springs eibach shocks Bilstein and on and on..
Bob where did you put the McInt amp? And which one?

As for speakers, it's important to not go by reviews but the type of music you listen to and the amps driving them. I tried the ADS and they were nice. But the Q series MBs had a tad more bass response and the midtones were better for classical music and the tweeter wasn't as bright as the ADS. I'd listen to them first before deciding. Brands and prize winners are not the only ways to judge a system. The McIntosh is so good I didn't even want an EQ installed in the M5.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:10 AM
tobago Bob
Intermediate

Eggplant

The McIntosh Amp is is the trunk it takes up a lot of room. We are going to change the head end Alpine for a nakamichi 400 or a Becker Mexico which would you choose?
I'll the model number in the morning off the Amp. As an aside I replaced the rotors in the distributor(s) what a difference in the smoothness in idle. The weird part is that the old parts did not look that bad, but they obviously were.

Regards
Tobago Bob
1990 C4 new suspension oil lines and every other da#n thing.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:45 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Eggplant

The McIntosh Amp is is the trunk it takes up a lot of room. We are going to change the head end Alpine for a nakamichi 400 or a Becker Mexico which would you choose?
I'll the model number in the morning off the Amp. As an aside I replaced the rotors in the distributor(s) what a difference in the smoothness in idle. The weird part is that the old parts did not look that bad, but they obviously were.

Regards
Tobago Bob
1990 C4 new suspension oil lines and every other da#n thing.
Thanks Bob. I'm like my trunk space which is why I chose the ADS amps because they are small and fit under the seat. The 406M McInt is 20lbs and while I can hear the difference in a closed car like the M5, I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble topdown cruising where anything loud would sound great. LOL
I don't use the car as a city driver so the stereo fidelity is less of an issue than say the M5 or my EV1.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:17 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Eggplant

I founds the Nak CD400/CD500 units to be exceptional. IMO the Mexico is over rated.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:58 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok im kinda lazy.
So whats the end result?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

infinity kappa perfect for the doors
http://www.infinitysystems.com/cara...ry.aspx?Cat=COS

KAPPA462.7CFP 4" x 6" two-way plate loudspeaker for the rear
http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='KAPPA462.7CFP'&Ser=KAP&Cat=MEL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That being the case whats the exact model, and where can I click and order it online without doing any thinking at all?

I am up to my yazoo in motor parts ordering, but I'll change out my speakers if someone makes it disturbingly simple.

Kirk
Old 03-29-2006, 04:28 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Item number: 9705575507
Item number: 9705203384
Item number: 9705221124
Item number: 9704920914
Item number: 9704011841
http://froogle.google.com/froogle_cl...ring=mrd&hl=en
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...en&btnG=Search
http://shopper-search.cnet.com/searc...17&submit.y=15
http://shopper.cnet.com/Infinity_Kap...-31481488.html
http://www.harmanaudio.com/default.asp

Quick Reply: What are the best speakers for a C2 regardless of price?