Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 Prices

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 07:58 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,312 Posts

The BRG car is an enigma. By all rights it looks factory but how is wearing BRG paint as a factory color and code when BRG was never offered.

I will try to see what the vin says when run through the system and post tomorrow.

I agree I think people are starting to realize what deferred maintenance on these cars can cost. The BRG car is another that will need some work. Original shocks have to be shot by now.

The linen gray is a nice combo and great interior. I am not sure how that car can run that low with tires that wide on PSS10's and not rub and bottom out. I am running MCS and at RS+5mm and I still bottom out occasionally.
Old 05-04-2023, 09:46 AM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Here's a 964 Carrera RS that was special ordered in British Racing Green. Has color code sticker "21A 92" for BRG and coded L998 paint to sample.

Old 05-04-2023, 10:28 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

I don't get the market anymore... but I do know that there is an awesome '91 C2 Cobalt Blue 964 sitting in a warehouse ready for it's next owner: https://sites.google.com/view/cobaltblue964?usp=sharing

Appearing period correct as it left the factory in 1991, this 964 C2 is ready for any group rally or weekend epic drive. As a true 964, it pulls off that balance of raw and comfortable. All the important modifications are done below the skin, with a focus on improving handling performance and driver engagement. The suspension, steering, shifting and braking systems have all been tightened up. Yet this 964 remains all-day comfortable and ready to drive across the country in air-conditioned comfort. I can’t however vouch for the quality of the audio system…

Last edited by 911Jetta; 05-04-2023 at 10:32 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by 911Jetta:
2000m2 (05-10-2023), 928 GT R (05-09-2023), dukmon (05-06-2023), jeff33702 (05-04-2023), laranja (05-04-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 10:32 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
I don't get the market anymore... but I do know that there is an awesome '91 C2 Cobalt Blue 964 sitting in a warehouse ready for it's next owner: https://sites.google.com/view/cobaltblue964?usp=sharing
(Quote)Appearing period correct as it left the factory in 1991, this 964 C2 is ready for any group rally or weekend epic drive. As a true 964, it pulls off that balance of raw and comfortable. All the important modifications are done below the skin, with a focus on improving handling performance and driver engagement. The suspension, steering, shifting and braking systems have all been tightened up. Yet this 964 remains all-day comfortable and ready to drive across the country in air-conditioned comfort. I can’t however vouch for the quality of the audio system…

The linen interior in this car is in beautiful condition, showing only light evidence of wear in the driver’s seat piping and headliner. The front seats have been upgraded to Sport seat style bolsters by a previous owner. All seat motors work. Dash, steering wheel, shift lever and headliner are dark blue. Upgraded Rennline aluminum door handles and Rennline black dead pedal. The complete air conditioning system was given a recent overhaul. The cruise control system works and the car is optioned with a trip computer which displays speed, mpg, outside temp, etc. (/quote)
So none of the BaT bidders reached out for a sale ?
Old 05-04-2023, 11:32 AM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 880 Likes on 593 Posts

Years ago, no one wanted any of these funky colored interiors and now that maroon interior 964 is already at 100k with 6 days left. Crazy. I don't get the market either, so last year I bought mine before things seemed too crazy.
Old 05-04-2023, 11:43 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 989 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
%100 agreed.

I do think BAT is going a little overboard with the TMU on the black car, it's a deal killer. My car had its speedo redone at NoHo Speedometer while it sat in the shop getting oil lines and a major service, does that make mine TMU also? The speedo conked out on the way home from a canyon run and was at the shop the following week; it may have gone 8 miles unaccounted for. Speedo was dropped off and picked up at NoHo as they will not take the speedo out for you, you bring it in and they do not EVER adjust mileage.
i agree. i think it's unfair to the seller and puts it on the buyer to compare records and make their own determination. it's a catch-22. the gears are plastic and get brittle. we all know this. but, for BAT to label all cars with a speedo repair included in the paperwork as TMU only hurts the seller. now, otoh, it's possible that many miles could be missing. it's also not as if a speedo replacement took place. that used to be the old scenario with cars getting a new speedo with '0' miles. this is still the original speedo, minus 2 small gears. timing of the repair and down time are the only variables.

Old 05-04-2023, 02:33 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
i agree. i think it's unfair to the seller and puts it on the buyer to compare records and make their own determination. it's a catch-22. the gears are plastic and get brittle. we all know this. but, for BAT to label all cars with a speedo repair included in the paperwork as TMU only hurts the seller. now, otoh, it's possible that many miles could be missing. it's also not as if a speedo replacement took place. that used to be the old scenario with cars getting a new speedo with '0' miles. this is still the original speedo, minus 2 small gears. timing of the repair and down time are the only variables.
Wait, they list TMU if the odometer was fixed? I assumed they only did that if TMU/mileage unknown was actually on the title.
Old 05-04-2023, 09:04 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Originally Posted by forbiddenbeat
Wait, they list TMU if the odometer was fixed? I assumed they only did that if TMU/mileage unknown was actually on the title.
If that’s the case then pretty much every air cooled Porsche is a TMU. Majority of cars have the plastic gears that operate the odometer fail due to age or use. One way you can verify the true mileage is by the cars documentation showing consistent mileage readings. If the car has zero or very little documentation then safe to assume it’s a TMU. Maybe you can determine if the car has low or high mileage based on the condition and wear around the car, but documentation is the best way to tell if the mileage shown is accurate.
The following users liked this post:
crgracer92 (05-09-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 09:29 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidGT
If that’s the case then pretty much every air cooled Porsche is a TMU. Majority of cars have the plastic gears that operate the odometer fail due to age or use. One way you can verify the true mileage is by the cars documentation showing consistent mileage readings. If the car has zero or very little documentation then safe to assume it’s a TMU. Maybe you can determine if the car has low or high mileage based on the condition and wear around the car, but documentation is the best way to tell if the mileage shown is accurate.
This might apply more to lower mileage cars. There are many aspects to weigh when determing how much you can trust a listing. Title history jumping from state to state in quick succession...private seller or dealer...how long has the dealer had it...has any restoration been done recently..and of course, the overall condistion of the car. Cars that are over 100k don't usually have much to hide. Mine for example is over 140k - registration info from a few owners and reported mileage always progressive - speedo works. If someone tells me I'm trying to hide something at 140k, they will be ignored.
The following 2 users liked this post by jeff33702:
jreifler (05-06-2023), Ralph3. (05-04-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 09:10 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken D
Here's a 964 Carrera RS that was special ordered in British Racing Green. Has color code sticker "21A 92" for BRG and coded L998 paint to sample.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing so at least the frunk sticker says PTS.

Originally Posted by RapidGT
I can't tell you how many A/C 911's i know are TMU. I know of many who swap out the speedos or drove for miles with broken gears. Others had switches installed to kill the signal to the speedo. I never look at the mileage as honest. Usually the car will tell how many miles it has but with ice blasting and other new techniques it is getting harder to tell.
911Jetta (05-05-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 09:22 AM
s65e90
Race Car

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
%100 agreed.

I do think BAT is going a little overboard with the TMU on the black car, it's a deal killer. My car had its speedo redone at NoHo Speedometer while it sat in the shop getting oil lines and a major service, does that make mine TMU also? The speedo conked out on the way home from a canyon run and was at the shop the following week; it may have gone 8 miles unaccounted for. Speedo was dropped off and picked up at NoHo as they will not take the speedo out for you, you bring it in and they do not EVER adjust mileage.

Sadly yes, but read what you wrote and that's literally the definition of TMU
Old 05-05-2023, 09:23 AM
s65e90
Race Car

People tend to forget that most older cars had 5 digit odometers and they are all listed as TMU now on titles as the mileage rolls over. It's not that big of a deal as I see it, but BAT is another world. I literally chose not to list a vehicle there to not have to deal with the peanut gallery's antics.
Old 05-06-2023, 08:55 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,338 Posts

This red RSA is going up for auction in a month at Porsche 75th Anniversary auction. A three option car (doesn’t have A/C) and 7k miles. I saw this car at RPM Sports Cars when Ray had it. One of the cleanest 964’s I have ever seen. Been passed around since then. Marshall Goldman had it last not long ago for $270k.

https://www.broadarrowauctions.com/v...911-rs-america
jreifler (05-06-2023)
Old 05-08-2023, 11:16 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I can't tell you how many A/C 911's i know are TMU. I know of many who swap out the speedos or drove for miles with broken gears. Others had switches installed to kill the signal to the speedo. I never look at the mileage as honest. Usually the car will tell how many miles it has but with ice blasting and other new techniques it is getting harder to tell.
That's a good point. It's so easy to fiddle with mileage, although I wouldn't have expected anyone was doing it on purpose. But you're right, I'd rather have a car with 120k+ miles on it with solid mechanicals and great overall condition than one with 30k that is leaking like a sieve and clearly has some stories.
Old 05-09-2023, 12:52 PM
crgracer92
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In addition to that, states such as Florida will list cars as mileage exempt over a certain age. Condition of seats, carpets and underbody will go a long way. I've looked at cars with less than 40,000 miles shown which looked like they had 120k+ miles of use.

Quick Reply: 964 Prices