Random 964 Picture Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 09:55 PM
revolution993
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts

perfect height,perfect stance

Originally Posted by Vegas993
All good, the Deeps have super short bodies and linear springs, travel is very limited so the ride is firm, It feels a lot like a go kart, kinda like a hard tail vs. soft tail thing, lol. It's definitely not for everyone but I've been driving low cars since I was a kid, starting with lowered air-cooled VW's, then water-cooled, then Audis. You ultimately end up having the bad spots in the streets and parking lots of your area memorized, haha. I've ridden in cars with KW's at a similar ride height and there's no comparison, if they were the only option, my car wouldn't be this low.

The white one I posted above is apparently a real N/GT!

Old 09-13-2019, 10:02 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas993
Jared, Rotiform is the US Distributor...
https://rotiform.myshopify.com/collections/suspension
Interesting these look nearly identical to the H&R supercup (NLA) setup I have minus the monoballs at the bottom of the rear. IIRC spring rates are 455 and 650. They seem to be threaded to the same depth. I had these on my C2 then the turbo at RS or in turbo language 92 ROW turboS height -10mm. The car handled amazingly well but the ride was just far to harsh for me even with the Recaro sportser CS seats which absorb a lot of the bumps. The tires also rubbed a little of the inside rear fenders under hard cornering and I have them on my track car currently which is set to TurboS/RS height and they work very nicely although I plan to switch them out to a set of MCS 3 or 4 ways by next year. I also had to keep the back end up a little due to the rear exhaust out the center which made it hard to get on and off the trailer. The new engine and turbo system will use the factory exhaust openings so I can run RS or -10mm depending. I am also switching out to 993 RS front uprights which will help with the bump steer the Tarrett alone helped but IMO wasn't enough.

Based on my running several setups on my C2 and as low as RS-10mm I would guess you are around 30-40mm below RS height.
Originally Posted by revolution993
perfect height,perfect stance
This is the ROW turboS or NB RS height I referenced. Ride heights fill the wheel well differently on WB vs NB cars. I don't have any clear pictures from the side but these are Pirelli slicks which run a slightly smaller dia than the Hoosiers pictured so the gap looks a little different. What tire you run will change the looks as well. At RS height I can probably lower the car another 50mm if I run the spring perches to the bottom of the threads I have been playing with ride heights for this car and I find RS is optimal for handling maybe 10mm lower.

That is a beautiful car although a bit IMO aggressive for a yellow (beginner) run group driver.

The following 2 users liked this post by cobalt:
Crz21 (09-15-2019), n1ne11 (09-17-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 10:07 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

^^^^^^^^
Lordy, we need more fat-fendered, deep dish, maritime blue images on this Friday!
Old 09-13-2019, 10:16 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
^^^^^^^^
Lordy, we need more fat-fendered, deep dish, maritime blue images on this Friday!
Unfortunately the car is on the lift and the engine looks like this so hard to take any pictures. But thanks anyhow.

I hope to have this back in the car and start the break in and dyno testing in a few weeks.

BTW If anyone has a straight blade fan and housing from a turbo they want to sell PM me. I would prefer it over the current fan for better cooling.
The following users liked this post:
dukmon (09-14-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 10:34 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 135 Posts

Here's a pic of my late 964 H&R's compared to stock. In addition to the shorter bodies and stiffer valving they have linear springs whereas the standard Street Performance H&R's have progressive springs.

My friends that run them have all been driving low cars like myself for years, they are definitely not for everybody.

Here's a pic I found of KW V!'s for comparison. I've seen guys run there cars at my ride height on these, they likely remove the helper as well, clearly not the same...

Anthony, your track car is awesome, no doubt. That thing must be a beast!!!
Old 09-13-2019, 11:58 AM
dsan
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon_
H&R Deeps with a nice Recaro is indeed a great experience.
x2. It's really like driving a kart but with a bit of cushion from the seat (albeit mine are A8's, not PP)

I run deeps also but at around RS height -10mm or so. I absolutely love the feel of the stiff suspension but it's definitely a desired taste. I could easily switch over to KW's at my ride height but I truly prefer the ride/handling of the deep set up. From riding in other 964's with KW's at around the same height, there is still a big difference in feel. While I don't DE, I autocross the car and have spirited drives fwiw.

And the deeps give you the opportunity to dramatically change the look with a few turns of the collar (with proper alignment after of course)

Back when I had the car low :

As the car sits today, obviously with some other changes

The following 3 users liked this post by dsan:
Finlander (09-13-2019), Marine Blue (09-13-2019), masti99 (09-15-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 12:24 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

She's a beauty. That first pic looks significantly lower than mine. If the lower one is RS -10, I'd say I'm about RS -20-25. The pic above of mine that was commented on is on wavy asphalt so the rear looks lower than it actually is. I had A8's in my '98 GTI VR6, they are much more comfy than the the PP's albeit a bit narrower. This a more accurate look at it...

The following users liked this post:
Finlander (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 01:25 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

Man these cars look slammed - how nice must be the roads around where you live....
Old 09-13-2019, 10:23 PM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by dsan
x2. It's really like driving a kart but with a bit of cushion from the seat (albeit mine are A8's, not PP)

I run deeps also but at around RS height -10mm or so. I absolutely love the feel of the stiff suspension but it's definitely a desired taste. I could easily switch over to KW's at my ride height but I truly prefer the ride/handling of the deep set up. From riding in other 964's with KW's at around the same height, there is still a big difference in feel. While I don't DE, I autocross the car and have spirited drives fwiw.

And the deeps give you the opportunity to dramatically change the look with a few turns of the collar (with proper alignment after of course)

I thought I recognized this car .....seeing the More Than More logo confirmed it.

Sam did a photo shoot of my black 356 coupe that was on air.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:04 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dsan

When I ran RS-10 my car was not as low as yours in the picture. Are you sure your not at -20?

Here are some better pictures of the H&R Supercups. They are considerably shorter and valved for lower ride height than the stock like yours. As you can see they have a lot of room to drop the ride height. I am assuming the deeps you have are based off these to some degree. Although as I go lower they get progressively stiffer. I also have full monballs so the handling is superburb but the ride is harsh. In the series they used these and some teams ran their cars quite low while others kept them a bit higher. Pros and cons to everything. The keeper springs compress completely when the car is on the ground. Only the upper spring is used for driving.

Interesting topic on how to set these up. I will be lowering my car once I have the 993RS/GT2evo uprights to prevent any bump steer.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:33 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Interesting, they are definitely similar. Does the blue collar act as a "cup" for the upper spring? I've never seen those. The yellow Cup Car above looks to be lower than RS -10.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:48 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

^^^ they are quite rare and the collar actually prevents you from swapping springs which is unfortunate. I think that is because in the series they all had to run on the same suspension. It is the reason I will be going with MCS in the future.

^^^I'll take one of those please.

An old picture of my track build before I made changes to the front suspension pushing the front track out another 15mm using the outboard settings.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:15 AM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 263 Posts

^^ I see why you wanted to push them out a bit. It's all a balance. Realize that the OEMs have to test clearance for many different road conditions - so we (and all other manufacturers) end up with larger gaps and wheels that are more inset-looking that most enthusiasts have come to "want to see". It's like that for a reason and you might just leave it alone if you have a super rare car that would otherwise require modification (rolling, pulling, trimming....) in order to lower and fit different offset wheels. If you go down the road of changing this up for that flush look...or if you want a balance of improved performance (via wider tires and/or alignment), you just have to do what Cobalt has done...creep up on the final goal by making incremental changes. Of course, it's always nice to have someone else who has blazed the path before you so you can dive right in with a specific combo - but even then, small differences in the original cars, potential previous accident damage, 3rd-party manufacturing variances....these things could make a certain combo not fit the same from car-to-car.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:18 AM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 117 Posts

Checkeditout Chicago Yesterday
Old 09-15-2019, 11:55 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

That is one amazing Track Car...

@eddieB4 - What's the story with that Purple car?

Quick Reply: Random 964 Picture Thread