Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension changes

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 09:02 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, I just couldn't leave Jeremy and Jim change out their suspensions, so today the weather in Philly hit 50 degrees (yea, I know it's not Florida!,but for here it's balmy). I put Bilsteins on 8 months ago and used the stock springs. It was good but not great. I ordered a set of H&R springs and they have been sitting in the garage for 3 weeks.

I started with the rears, and since it was recently done, the bolts came out with a LITTLE help from the cheater bar. Even though I have a spring compressor, I remembered from the last time that by the time the nut was turned off, there was so little tension on the spring that it just fell apart.

I have about 3 hours in on the rears, now I'm ready to set up for doing the front. I will likely do a little more tonight and finish up tomorrow.

I have pictures also and will post after I finish. And YES, I am getting a corner balance!
Old 12-28-2005, 10:08 PM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lou, sounds like you guys are having a balmy winter so far. I'm originally from Philly and now I don't miss the cold at all.

Geoff, drove home with the strut brace on.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:37 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Guys in a pinch a coil spring trick is to lay a spare rim and tire on the top spring perch (stand the assy vertically) and un-loosen the nut. The weight of the rim/tire on the top will absorb the energy of most springs... Wear eye protection and use this method only when you are in a pinch and do not have access to a spare spring compressor..
Old 12-28-2005, 11:10 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

to me it was worth the $40 fully refundable deposit from Autozone for the safety factor alone. only takes a couple of minutes to put them on and take them off. Yea there wasnt a whole lot of tension but more then we wanted to deal with if we didnt have to.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:59 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Got the nail hole fixed in my tire. Just a very small one. $49 because it says Porsche! Any way got the car off the lift and drove it around the block a few times. Seems to be sitting 1 1/4" +/- lower all 4 corners from before measurements. It may settle a bit more. I used M030 shocks and Intrax springs. Will be next week before I can get the corner balance and alignment done but doesnt seem to be doing any strange things so far a low speeds. My guy has 3 race cars to do on the scales next week so is going to squeeze mine in. Estimates about $500 and does it with weight in the drivers seat.
Now the shark fin clips broke so back up it goes to try and fix that.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:12 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Did the front springs today, took about 2 1/2 hours (2 hours on the first, 1/2 hour on the other).
I elected to NOT disconnect the brake lines to get them out of the shock tower bracket, I tried to undo the fitting and felt a little too much resistance and I wasn't in the mood to replace the line. Instead, I pulled off the retaining clip and used my Dermel to cut open the bracket, then a little bending of the corner of the bracket and the small rigid breakline slipped right out. Then it was a matter of unbolting the assembly (I used the impact gun to loosen the large shock nut while the shock was still in the car). Once out, the swap took 3 minutes (and again no need for the spring compressor). Then back in the car and torqued up.

I too see that the P-car is noticeably lower! It will now sit till I get the appointment for alignment and corner balance.

Pictures galore, but I'll need help in posting.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:17 PM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

Lou, make sure the picture is small enough to post......Then go on the bottom of the screen where it says "go advanced" , look under "additional options", then "manage attachments" , hit browse to find your file on your computer, then hit "upload" ---if your pic is too big, you will see an error message; if the pic size is ok, it will list the attached file in the box and you will then be good to go. You can attach many photos this way. good luck!
Old 12-29-2005, 08:12 PM
hawk911
Race Car

is you have a photo editor, choose save as web photo, which will make the size more bearable. then resize to dimensions if you also need to do that.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:32 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Have a look here for how to upload photos.

Marc
Old 12-29-2005, 10:26 PM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

UPDATE:

Car has been aligned and balanced. I forgot to leave the shop with the balance weights. Will hopefully get them tomorrow.

Ride height is 25 1/2 inches from ground to bottom of fender, measured at hub centerline, all the way around the car.

Attached is a cell-phone pic of the car this morning before the balance and alignment was done. It was too dark tonight by the time I arrived home to get a good pic. Will post one tomorrow with a before shot.
Attached Images  
Old 12-29-2005, 10:58 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Nice!!!! so how do you like it? was it what you expected, or better? my son still get giggley (sp?) about how the car looks.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:16 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

25 1/2" on 3 corners and 25 3/4 on driver front is what mine measures now before CB and alignment! email or call me what settings you used when you get a chance.
Attached Images   

Last edited by jimq; 12-30-2005 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:42 PM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

Before shot with the D90s (old pic). Overall wheel diameter (rim + tire) should be very close with the 17" wheels:
Attached Images  
Old 12-29-2005, 11:44 PM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

Jim,
The shop used "normal" settings for the alignment. They did not set it up for the track.
I didn't pick up the printout...I'll stop by tomorrow and see if I can get you the info.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:11 AM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

Something else to check after doing the suspension changeout:

My headlights were aimed too low, maybe by a good 20 feet or so. Luckily the shop finished at night and took the car for a test drive and fixed this for me. Amazing how much brighter those Silverstars are when they are actually aimed properly!!!

Hawk, you asked is it what I expected? It definitely is lower, noticeable when climbing in and out and looking at her. I haven't pushed her yet since the alignment, but I think she will handle much better now. My Boge shocks must have been replaced previously because they seemed to be intact when they were removed. Was it worth all the work and money? You bet.....

Quick Reply: Suspension changes