Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine upgrade by Sportec

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 11:12 AM
Gavin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adrian, did you get a power reading at the rear wheels ?
Old 07-28-2004, 11:32 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Nope!
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Adrian, you're gonna have serious competition for your 650, you know that don't you!
Old 07-28-2004, 11:54 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Does this mean you are coming up for a visit when your car is done? After 30th Sept of course when we meet up in Bahrain.
We will have to pop over to Germany for a little shoot out
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-28-2004, 02:36 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

I know you want to get me on the autobahn But oh...wait a second, did I tell you I'm doing their "spezial" Sportec longer 6th. gear conversion? How fast does that aerodynamic water thingy 996 goes you said, because I will be waiving at you at 240mph.

Jokes aside, gorgeous car Adrian.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:00 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

No idea Jean but I can assure you that even on the German autobahn I would never consider such speeds.
Hockenheim or the Ring for that kind of driving.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-28-2004, 03:45 PM
C4TT
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Adrian,
I think with that power, you can move away from the D-90s, and into something more aggressive!!
How does it compare to the Ruf silver car you had driven?

Regards,

Greg
Old 07-28-2004, 05:13 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Greg,
I only use D-90s in winter and that will not change. I use 17 inch for summer at the moment but that may change.
The RUF RCT Evo is still substantially more powerful than my C4, 425 HP versus 288 HP.
The Sportec SP650 (Porsche GT-2) I pick up tomorrow is 650 HP and my C4 nor the RCT is in the same league. The GT-2 is fitted with 19 inch wheels.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-28-2004, 05:30 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI Adrian,

So....Power corrupts....Hmmm......maybe I should try some....!!!!

I look forward to seeing this beast on Saturday and counting the hourses myself (I hope they are not those small japanese ones).
Old 07-28-2004, 05:59 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Have you ever seen a Porsche with small japanese HP?
It will be there saturday and you can look but no touchie touchie
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-28-2004, 06:24 PM
C4TT
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian
Dear Greg,
I only use D-90s in winter and that will not change. I use 17 inch for summer at the moment but that may change.
The RUF RCT Evo is still substantially more powerful than my C4, 425 HP versus 288 HP.
The Sportec SP650 (Porsche GT-2) I pick up tomorrow is 650 HP and my C4 nor the RCT is in the same league. The GT-2 is fitted with 19 inch wheels.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Adrian,
Are you picking this up for yourself, or for "testing"?
Sounds like fun. I had enjoyed your writeup on the RCT, and look forward to the Sp650. I recall you saying the the RCT kept up with a stock GT2...

I still have to encounter a GT2... I can't wait...

Cheers,

Greg
Old 07-29-2004, 04:39 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So, no 'power at the wheels' value? Interesting. Makes me wonder what 'correction' factor they used to detemine the before and after HP figures. Maybe I missed this in this or another @Sportec is great' post.

Is it just me, or has Adrian become a Sportec salesman??

I remember in recent years Adrian had a steadfast approach to performance upgrades - something along the lines of 'if Porsche engineers could get an extra 30 hp from an exhaust mod, chip and intake, don't you think they would have done it...'

And yet, that's EXACTLY what has been done here. I smell a rat!

Adrian, are you having to pay for this upgrade, or is there a bit of 'quid pro quo' going on?
Old 07-29-2004, 04:47 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Greg,
Do you remember the song "It's my baby". I will be humming this on the way home. There are still a couple of issues to be worked out with my insurance man when he recovers from his heart attack. Until then it will remain on ZH plates.
As for the RCT keeping up with the standard GT-2 it certainly did however this was on the back roads of Pfaffenhausen and accelerations up to speeds of around 200 kph. The RCT was also very light. A standard conversion to an RCT would be somewhat heavier.
However the RCT Evo is still a great conversion as I said and had things turned out differently I would have still gone down that track.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-29-2004, 04:49 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi John

Long time no read!

Adrian has already stated that he has commercial ties with Sportec, so anything you hear from him you should treat as coming from Sportec I guess. To answer your question regarding dyno losses as I have had my car dynoed recently (see other thread), the dyno I used would seem to make adjustments for :

1. Temperature (mine was at 106F) although I don't know what the normal value for temp is (20degC/68degF?)

2. Trannie losses. After you hit the rev limiter or as far as I you want to take it on full power, the dyno is allowed to coast down to stop with the car idling. The dyno knows how easily it should come to a stop with no resistance so with a car on the rollers it gets a fair idea of the transmission losses.

3. I might be wrong here, but I believe on the dyno that was used on my car the only actual figure that was input was the ratio of the gear in which the power run was done? Again, Colin might be able to comment on this if he reads it....
Old 07-29-2004, 05:24 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear JohnFM,
Everything I am involved in will solely benefit The Natalie Louise Streather Memorial Fund charity registered number 1104776. Sportec are supporting my charity efforts along with people like John Dunkle and organisations like Rennlist and many others.
I do question your motives for making a post like you have. I also smell a rat and a number of us have been quietly waiting to see who would be the first to try and discredit things. You win the pool!
You are quite correct I have always questioned performance upgrades and will continue to do so. I have always questioned "bolt on HP" but not proven tuned packages by proven tuning companies.
When you try and quote me please "Get it right" and in context. Bolt on claims versus tuned packages which tend to cost a lot more money.
If you read chapter 11 of my 964 book you will find this all explained. "There are no demon tweaks".
Oh and Christer, Adrian speaks for himself.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

Quick Reply: Engine upgrade by Sportec