Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Thumbs up

Dear Jack,
As I have already stated, Sportec are aiming at coming to the USA and the plans are in work to make this happen. I have put the various interested parties together and they are communicating and having face to face meetings next month.
I am certain that when agreements are reached. announcements will be made from the parties involved.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-21-2004, 11:32 AM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 63 Posts

Adrian, these are great performance numbers.

Having said that, and not to be gauche, but what is the cost of the upgrade? I did see someone commenting that the price was "reasonable" (a very scary word in the context of a discussion of Porsches), but I seem to have missed the cost, if it was indeed posted.

Obviously, there is no price set in US$ yet, but is there a ball park figure based on the Euro prices?

BGL
Old 07-21-2004, 12:56 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear BGL,
I would hate to speculate on prices in the USA. I do not know the cost of doing actual business in the USA. I cannot give you a ball park figure because there are too many variables not least taxation and shipping costs. Another major factor will be to see if Sportec can find competent USA based partners/installers with access to dynos or do they have to do the remapping themselves and hire dynos.
One of my ideas is to try and make as much of the kit as possible a simple DIY job with maybe anexchange catatlytic converter so the labour costs can be kept down. Installing the actual airflow kit is two bolts and a jubilee clamp and some connectors. The cat removal can be a pain (mine was) but installation is easy. The main manpower and expertise requirement comes at the remapping stage. Ideas to reduce this time and effort are also being looked at.
All these ideas will be tested before being offered to the market. You will just have to be patient because Sportec are very keen to get it right first time. The key issue here is that Sportec want to ensure their improvement figures can be met every time. This takes a lot of effort to remove as many variables as possible. I got 288 HP with the 285 HP kit. Sportec want to ensure that the same gains can be met consistently despite the wide and variable condition of motors, 964s and where they live. This is all summed up as "The cost of doing business in the USA".
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-21-2004, 05:29 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I should also point out that the 964 is not the only product that Sportec do in the Porsche range. Their other products include the 650 HP GT-2 (SP650) the 580 HP 996TT (SP580) and the 600 HP Cayenne (SP600).
An American 996TT owner is in preliminary discussions with Sportec to have his 996TT made into a SP580 version. If this deal can be consumated a highly respected Porsche owner will be able to provide first hand knowledge of this conversion to you all. Well on the 996TT forum anyway, if we can get him out of his car.
Lots of things are in the pot and hopefully in the not too distant future many Rennlisters will be able to then see, touch and get up close and personal with these conversions for themselves.
Sportec visit a place in Denver Colorado twice a year to do Audi mods as well. Their new AUDI RS6 is a real monster but we should not talk about Audi here should we?
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-22-2004, 03:43 AM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Adrian,

Congrats with the up-grade! Sounds very tempting to let Sportect have a go at my car.

Looking at the pictures on your web-page, it seems as if you had a great time during the process. Good to see that I am not the only one who enjoys having a peek when the pros work on my car.

I will try to re-schedule my holidays to come over and see you in for the September event.

Take care
Old 07-22-2004, 04:16 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

Dear Jens,
That would be my advice, come up from Lausanne and take a look. Drive my C4. I am sure the same mod to your C4 will give more power because you have the head gasket (higher engine compression ratio) and the plastic air intake system. I have the aluminium heat exchanger version on my C4 and no head gasket.
I look forward to seeing you and anyone else who can drop by.
Some other exciting developments have let us say started in the past couple of days which I hope to be able to post about when it has come together.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-27-2004, 04:10 PM
DukeDevil
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Adrian,

We spoke maybe a year or so ago and you were considering the full RUF RCT Evo conversion. As I am still considering converting my 90 C2, I was wondering why you changed your mind.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:25 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Things happen over which you have little or no control. Life's little twists and turns. I have to get into the water cooled Porsches after the 993 book is finished and that is the main reason.
Other reasons include the Swiss certification authorities they are a huge pain in the butt if the caris modified outside of Switzerland..
I live in Switzerland so it makes sense to deal with Swiss companies. Sportec are a great fun bunch to deal with plus they deal with other cars like Audi and my wife Gail drives an Audi. Now she wants a RS6.
The cost as well in the end played a significant role. It did not make sense under Swiss conditions to inject such a huge amount of money in my old 964. Plus I am going home in a few short years and I want to take with me a newer car.
Do not get me wrong, the RUF RCT Evo remains one of the greatest drives I have ever had and if you want a Turbo and want to keep the 964 lines then this is the car to have.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

PS: One word of warning though. HP is like an infectious disease. 250 is kool until you have 288.
425 is brilliant until you have driven with 650
I pick up my 650 on Thursday at 1 pm.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:04 PM
Dave R.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pick up my 650 on Thursday at 1 pm.
Adrian, congratulations!
Old 07-27-2004, 06:10 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I am not going anywhere because I will keep my C4. It will become a bit of a tester for modifications. Next series start on Thursday. If they work out it will open a new area up completely for the people looking for "improved optics".
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-27-2004, 06:32 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congrats...can we expect pics by Friday teatime??
Old 07-27-2004, 06:32 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Adrian, Congrats on the new ride.
Thanks for sticking with the old faithful. It is wonderful that there are folks who are still improving the 964s even after all these years.

I hope that you will post pictures of the new beast once you pick it up. I'm sure that none of the 964 board would object to that, even if it is a water pumper.

Colin
Old 07-27-2004, 07:08 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

It is the one in my Avatar. On Friday evening I shall actually be in Mindelheim (or in jail for speeding )
More photos can be seen on my web site (Sportec page) but I promise to get some new shots.
My son Jeremy is coming with me to pick it up.
The GT-2 is no good in winter so I am not going to be able to drive it for too long this year.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-27-2004, 07:33 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adrian
It is the one in my Avatar. On Friday evening I shall actually be in Mindelheim (or in jail for speeding )
Love it!!!!!

Old 07-27-2004, 07:37 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok, just looked at the pics, better...but still not good enough! LOL!

Adrian, the GT2 is sportec modified? What can you tell us? Plus what is the cabriolet behind it?

Quick Reply: Engine upgrade by Sportec