Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear John,
Well Sportec might be closer than you think well at least for one day. Watch this space for further information,
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

PS: Dear Arjan also watch this space.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:52 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Adrian, great follow-up report! Glad the improvement was documented, but also glad you like the driveability and overall quality of the mapping etc.

All too often power upgrades come at a price of decreased driving quality. Sounds as though Sportec does thorough work!!
Old 07-16-2004, 01:11 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Chris,
This is a Sportec requirement. They remap to improve the power and torque but also to improve driveability. The top of the line and most expensive example of this is the SP650 (Porsche GT-2) with its 650 HP. This car can be driven at 50 kph in 6th gear. The additional power is controlled by special programming. Certain inputs and conditions have to be met before the 650 HP becomes available. Mind you the 460 odd already there gives a great kick in the pants as well.
Sportec cars make driving much more fun and it also makes the car easier to sell. The brutal hard to drive machines require owners who are let us a say a tad more experienced. Bit like the Mitsubushi MU-2 in the aviation field if anyone remembers these rocket machines.
You must also remember that Sportec is a licenced facility and is required to meet very strict standards by the Swiss authorities. They design manufacture most of what goes into their programs including wheels and exhaust systems so they are held to very high standards and subject to Swiss and German inspections because they are also TÜV approved.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

PS: They also do special requests like the 993TT with 640 HP and the owner says the exhaust system is not noisy enough. Gail is still laughing about that one but hey it is his money.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:20 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Is this upgrade something that can work on the crappy gas here in california? 91 is the best octane grade available! Sounds like we'd be running retarded ignition the entire time as to not detonate our engines!!

Thanks for the updates Adrian - exciting stuff!
Old 07-16-2004, 01:27 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

We actually discussed this in some depth yesterday. The lower the fuel octane the harder it is to remap the engine and develop the maximum amount of available power. Yes you are 100% correct the timing will be retarded to reduce knocking. As we know from experience that the 964 knock system is not always able to handle high temperatures and low octane fuel.
However your 91 is in theory our 94. My 964 was remapped with 95 Octane which is 92 at your end so I believe the expertise of the Sportec people with their modifications will be able to do something. They will not promise you the world I can tell you that but improvements are possible.
Of course CA emissions requirements must also be taken into account.
I will remind them of the specific case of CA and see what they say. Knowing the Sportec people as I do I would expect them to develop a CA only version of their mods.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-16-2004, 01:47 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Adrian,

Is there a contact person and number at Sportec concerning the 640 hp 993 TT upgrade that you could recommend? It makes things easier when calling from overseas.

I guess they don't speak french, but surely english?
Thanks
Old 07-16-2004, 01:56 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Jean,
You have mail,
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-16-2004, 03:46 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Adrian:

Thank you for the updates!

I did some math and converted the Nm numbers to ft. lbs. and thought I would post them in case USA individuals wanted to compare to more familiar numbers. Please let me know if you feel these conversion calcs are incorrect.

312.1 Nm = 230.16 ft. lbs.
363.6 Nm = 268.14 ft. lbs.

Looks like a 16.5% increase.

Regards,

Jay
90 964
Old 07-16-2004, 05:15 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Jay,
I believe you. I did something this evening that I have never been able to do. I spun all four wheels dumping the clutch in first gear in the dry. I was showing off, I mean demonstrating to my daughter the improvements in the C4 after I picked her up from the railway station.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-16-2004, 05:23 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Adrian:

Torque is one of the first numbers (followed closely by curb weight) I look at. It must be a real treat to have ~270 ft lbs. at your disposal!

Sounds like a great, useable upgrade!

Best,

Jay
90 964
Old 07-16-2004, 10:19 PM
911kid
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations on your new upgrade. Sounds terrific especially the torque improvement. Too bad Switzerland is so far from Texas. Would like to take it for a spin.
BTW do you have a stock exhaust?
Old 07-17-2004, 03:59 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Dennis,
Apart from the modified by Sportec catalytic converter yes I have a stock standard "Swiss" exhaust system.
The Sportec mod carried out on my 964 had to leave it so it would still pass all Swiss motor vehicle inspection requirements. This includes noise and exhaust emissions tests. The car was tested after the work was completed to ensure compliance.
This is the beauty of Sportec in that they have developed mods which keep the cars legal in the majority of places around the world that have mandatory emissions testing.
Of course they do work that doesn't comply as well based on customer requests.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

PS: Dear Jay. Yes I agree, torque is something always overlooked. The mods actually make the 964 lighter. The air box assembly is significantly lighter as is the cat so not only do you get the HP, the torque but you get a slightly lighter car back.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:18 AM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adrian,
Congrats on your upgrade. You must feel like you have a new car.

What was the cost of the kit?

Colin
Old 07-18-2004, 04:44 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Colin,
If you were living in Switzerland it would cost circa 6000 CHF. However outside of Switzerland this has yet to be worked out.
The current plan is to install the stage 3 kit on a US based C4. The performance will be evaluated and the kit tweaked to suit US conditions. Once the kit has been proven to work and meet the same improvements as was achieved on my C4 then the finer details of price will be worked out.
Sportec have decided that they will prove their system works in America on American versions of the 964 before attempting to sell them.
If this works out okay then a California version will be developed and so on and so on.
This takes a little time to get done but Sportec believe in "Spending money to make money" and also that their products must work in each environment they are sold into.
The cost of doing business in the USA will also have to be factored into the cost as well. The plan is to try and make as much as possible simple DIY so as to reduce labour costs. For example. If you can remove the air box cover and change the air filter then you are well on your way to making the entire mod kit fit inside the engine bay.
So please watch this space for further announcements from your side of the Atlantic on the progress of the proving of the Sportec mods in the USA.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-21-2004, 06:49 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 58 Posts

Adrian - Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that all workd out well. I'll be interested to hear about Sportec's US activities...

Quick Reply: Engine upgrade by Sportec