Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Engine upgrade by Sportec

Yesterday my 964 went into Sportec Switzerland for its stage 3 engine upgrade kit to be installed.
The changes to the 964 include;
Complete new air filter assembly in which is mounted a mass air flow sensor and an separate high speed air temperature sensor. The filter is a K&N sports filter. The air box cover is drilled at the rear.
The existing complete airbox and airflow sensor assembly is removed and replaced. No modifications are required to any looms because Sportec developed a special adapter cable which hooks into the existing wiring.
The ECU is removed and modified. The new sensor requires a 12V supply and this is done within the ECU to avoid modifications to the existing car wiring which is messy, time consuming and can create other problems.
The cat is removed, cut open, the existing core removed. A new core of Sportec design is installed and the assembly is welded up.
When all the requires parts are installed and the car set up for the next stage it is time for the C4 to head off to the dyno and remapping.
Once the remapping was completed the car is removed from the dyno and reassembled. It then heads back to the dyno and an emissions check is carried out. Then it is test driven and when everything is okay the DME is finally reinstalled and the car handed back to its owner, in this case myself.

I am not going to post pictures this will be done on my own web site and on the Sportec web site.

The changes that have been made, I cannot attempt to describe.
You have to drive the C4 and feel it for yourself.
Driving home from Hoeri last night was like driving a new car. The driveability has changed so much that it is a really new and far superior product. The power can be felt coming on evenly and effectively. The torque improvement is awesome especially for me because I do a lot of hill climbing. No more fluctuating idle either. During remapping the idle area is carefully dealt with and the throttle quadrant micro switches adjusted to match the mapping. The result is a nice idle when the 964 is started cold or hot or whatever.
However debate is useless. Come along on to the Sportec open day in September and take it for a drive.

Finally the basic results.
Before modification the engine made 249.3 HP with 312.1 Nm of torque.

After modification the engine made 287.2 HP and 363.6 Nm of torque.

Do I recommend this upgrade? Yes I do. I have a new much more powerful and aggressive car to play with. It sounds better as well.
Sportec met their end of the bargain and provided an upgrade that exceeded expectations. Nobody can ask for more than that and it was done in less than a day and is value for money because it delivers exactly what they say and then some.

Notes:
The mandatory before check is carried out as part of the engine condition checks. Sportec run a full diagnostic on any car before it is accepted for modification. If you do not make certain parameters they will not do the upgrade unless you have the required repairs carried out and pay for them.

Virgin engines like mine may also have problems that appear during the upgrade. This occurs around the catalytic converter. Over the years the heat and the elements take their toll of the cat and its mounts. Additional cost in repairs should be expected if you take the cat mod in stage 3.

I am not entering into a debate with anyone. If you want to make your own assessment you are welcome to come and drive my "new" C4. I will also be switching now to 98 RON unleaded fuel and I will be changing the tyres to further improve the car.

Another C4 will be modified in the USA to stage 2 status in the not too distant future. This owner will then be able to provide a second opinion on the upgrade.

Final little piece of interest. Sportec are considering designing and manufacturing 18 inch wheels which they will get formal approval to be installed on all 911s from the 964 series up. This will be done through the Swiss approval system. The front wheels will weigh in at approx 6 kgs and the rear between 8 and 9 kgs.
If there is genuine interest in such wheels they will go ahead and do it. My name is already on the list because I know what the Swiss will require for certification and if it gets the Swiss approval tag then it has passed a most rigorous test.

Adrian
964C4
Old 07-16-2004, 04:42 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Adrian

Thanks for the feedback, and I promise not to enter into any debate on aaaanything. Glad you got the before power figures as we recommended though - it always helps to put your mind at rest!

From my side, it looks like I will go back to 9M on 25th/26/27 July to do the post run-in work, so I should also have some figures after that. Obviously, I will not enter into any debate with anyone about that either.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:49 AM
Anatol
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Adrian, thanks for the info.
I might be coming to Sportec in the next weeks to have my DME adjusted after my engine rebuilt (with 993 Cup cams).
I also bought a Cup exhaust with headers on ebay and after this is installed I will have a look at your car. Maybe I will opt for the mass airflow sensor if the price is right.
See ya!
Old 07-16-2004, 04:49 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Christer,
Actually it was a Sportec mandatory requirement. I did not choose this, with Sportec you have no choice and it is included in the price. If the car fails this test and the other diagnostics checks they do no work without additional costs for repairs agreed to and signed by the owner first. If you choose not to go ahead you will be billed for the dyno run, 150:00 CHF ($US120).

A real life example of this happened yesterday whilst Gail and I were there. A guy brought in his Audi RS6 for the Sportec treatment. Sportec are big with Porsche and Audi. Anyway the mechanic jumped into the car whilst I was watching and it made a terrible noise as he drove it towards the dyno. It was the steering system. The guy had just dropped the car off. Lots of witnesses as well. So Sportec called him and told him of the problem. "The owner said well it was not like that when I dropped it off". Sportec then just told him it will cost him X amount for the car to be fixed first or he can come and pick it up. Some people will do and try anything. When we left Sportec they were still waiting for a reply.

The reason I said no debate is because the figures and pictures (which I am about to do on my web site) tell the whole story. The same applies to your modifications. If it works and you can show it then that is the end of that. The only debate is "When can somebody come and drive the modified 964 to check it out for themselves".

Mine is available at anytime to anybody who wants to drop by for a drive and it will be on display and available for test drives at the Sportec open day as well. Subject to Polizei surveillance of course. They were everywhere last night when we left Sportec. Just around the corner actually.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-16-2004, 04:54 AM
Christer
Race Car

Sure Adrian - I understand. I will also post pics and results whatever they may be (I'll be checking out yours when they are ready). Glad you are happy, I hope I will be in a couple of weeks!
Old 07-16-2004, 05:00 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Anatol,
Please let me know when you decide to go ahead. I will put you in touch with the person who will be looking after Rennlister customers.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-16-2004, 05:16 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Adrian - great follow-up. Interesting to note that, like most Rennlisters here, Sportec also think a 'before' dyno worthwhile.

Do you know of they are planning an English language version of their website? Would be useful, particularly if they are planning to offer upgrades in the USA. I for one would be interested to read about their stage 1 and stage 2 (and your stage 3) developments in more details.

Are they planning to be Rennlist sponsors? It sounds like this could be beneficial to them, as they could actively promote their products and services to rennlisters. (and offer discounts...)
Old 07-16-2004, 05:18 AM
Christer
Race Car

As an afterthought, I should state here that I am not affiliated with 9M in any way, just a paying customer.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:12 AM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice one Adrian - reasonably priced and very quick turnaround (half a day)!
Glad you are satisfied and happy with it!

Do they have anything for the turbo 3,6?

Best regards and please do keep us updated on how everything goes.

Emilios
Old 07-16-2004, 06:23 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Adrian..........

Is the car on your avator your new toy???? If yes, great looking piece of art.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:50 AM
nine64
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Adrian,

good to hear that u are happy with the mod.
wonder if the mod will work with tip car?

Old 07-16-2004, 07:20 AM
Patrik S
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great news Adrian!

It makes even me (hard core Porsche original fan) start to think of engine upgrades
Old 07-16-2004, 07:30 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Rob,
Their web site will undergo a major change. I am not a fan of having two or more language web sites. It will most likely become a dual language web site with links to major pages which have major text content in English.
It will also hopefully become more picture orientated as well with better descriptions.
As for the rest of your questions they will only be answered in the fullness of time. These are all business issues. However I will say that Sportec are very much interested in being able to do what they do here in Switzerland in the USA and it is in work.

Dear Patrik.
The kit I had installed is even better on the RS. The plastic intake and the head gaskets make a huge difference to what you can get out of these engines.

Dear nine64
Yes the mods also work with a tip.

Dear Emilios,
Sportec are somewhat known for their Turbo work. I have pictures of their latest 640 HP creation using a 993 TT engine as a basis. They design and build their own turbochargers. All the Porsches currently in their shop are Turbos.

Dear Arjan,
It soon will be. I am not the owner yet but things are being orgnaised.

My web site has been updated with the process in pictures. I have kept the words to a minimum and just let the pictures do the talking.

Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

PS: Affiliations. I am deeply involved with Sportec with a large number of projects. One will blow your minds but it will be a great day for Porsche owners worldwide if we can pull it off.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:17 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Great car I think, hope things will work out in this.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:43 AM
investlt
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adrian,

Great write up. Glad to hear it was a success. I wish Sportec was closer to Boston so I could test drive your C4. Oh well. Maybe when the US C4 gets converted I'll have the chance.

Quick Reply: Engine upgrade by Sportec