Sponsored by:

Engine upgrade by Sportec

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 08:25 AM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear fellow rennlisters,

Risking to state the obvious, I think it is clear that Adrian is very enthusiastic about his 964. His book is our reference material #1, his advice on this forum is precise, probably the most knowledgeable one can find and, in my opinion, always seems as objective as any enthusiast can get.

The whole point of a forum is to share ideas, thoughts and recommendations. I gather this is exactly why Adrian told us about his Sportech upgrade. Considering his track record on in this forum, I see no reason whatsoever to suspect any vested interest on his part. Suggesting otherwise does poor credit to Adrian's contributions to our little community.

Come to think of it, I actually don't give two hoots whether anybody stands to gain from passing on advice anyway. All I care about is getting the best for my beloved car.

Have a good weekend all of you.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:00 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Jens,
I agree entirely. I believe we should pass on everything we know. Nobody is being forced to purchase from Sportec or anyone else. The information is being provided for individual evaluation and individual choice. If people think because I recommend something that this carries some weight or influence and they are uncomfortable with that, bad luck for them. Get over it and get a life.
Rennlist spans the entire world.
Information provided by Christer about 9M and his modifications regardless of what Christer says, is an advert for 9M. Terrific I have no problem that and if he or anyone else gets some discount or a finders fee then good on them.
Each person here is helping the 964 community in their own way.
People
I do not understand people getting their knickers in a knot over any of this, especially those who are not directly affected by such things. Sportec is not in the UK as far as I know. 9M is not in Switzerland. It is not exactly like they are competing with each other and if they were keeps them both on their toes.
As I was told the other night if I charged for the advice I have handed out since 1998 I would not have to worry about people complaining about me doing the odd experienced based product endorsement now.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
GT-2

PS: Before anyone says anything, my 964 book has earned ME a very tiny amount of money. You would all be quite shocked to know how much money I have actually lost on that whole project. However I can only blame myself and we live and learn.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:19 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regardless of what anyone says, I still prefer to know whether someone is affiliated with a company/service/product. There is nothing negative in this, but it is good to know to keep things in perspective.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:06 AM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there is at least a subtle difference between advertisement, editorial review and end user review.

An advertisement is commercial in nature designed to attract public attention and patronage (got it from a dictionary)

An editorial review from say a motoring magazine can either be objective or skewed towards not pissing off a big advertiser depending on editorial integrity of that publication

A true end user review is non-commercial in nature and reflects the view of a person that has used the product (usually paid for it). It may still be biased but it is a personal "objective" biasness based on personal preferences not commercial benefit to be had in cash or in kind (any kind)

It is obviously debatable which reflects the whole and real truth but readers should be made aware of the source (author) and then make their own judgements. I think we've seen how readers on any consumer review/feedback website react when a manufacturer/dealer/promoter of a product does a plug without revealing relationship/affiliation with the product and then subsequently got found out....has happened in rennlist even before this one.....whether or not the owner or moderator of a site allows it is not the issue here....it is basic netiquette when it comes to online reviews
Old 08-09-2004, 08:39 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

The questions about affiliations always come up - for good reason. I agree that it is nice to know, if someone is affiliated or not. I also think that Rennlisters has a culture (habit) where they almost always state whether or not they are affiliated.

This quote was in one of Adrian's posts on the first page of this thread:

"PS: Affiliations. I am deeply involved with Sportec with a large number of projects. One will blow your minds but it will be a great day for Porsche owners worldwide if we can pull it off."

(Not that the following is IMHO, etc, etc, etc)
To me, that says that he IS affililated. To me, it's a 1s and 0's situation: you are either affiliated or not. Adrian says that he is affiliated. Either people didn't catch it, or they want to know the details of the affiliation. That is not necessary/required. People can be curious and nosey, but I don't think that they need to know. (For example, is there a discount, finders fee, ownership, etc). This is the type of thing that gossiping neighbors discuss. This thread reminds me of the other one where people keep asking the same questions over and over again. It is really a waste...

==
I am not affiliated with Sportec or Adrian. I don;t mean to speak for him and I don't think that I have. I don't want to offend anyone. I hope this isn't too basic for anyone (K), to the point where is is insulting. I shouldn't even be ciming in here but I guess I'd like to see something useful when I click on this thread, rather than the same thing over and over.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:45 AM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was referring to the point that Christer's review/feedback is considered an advert

Quick Reply: Engine upgrade by Sportec