Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964/993 Billet timing chain covers / re-engineered

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 07:20 PM
konrad911
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts

Well I can only imagine this work seen below in pics has not been done on the boxes before mounting them to the case. And prior to that someone had used way to much torque on assembly time that resulted in non flat surface as seen in the pics below?

PS. I still have 2 sets of covers available from the last batch (anodised in black), so PM me if you need them.

Last edited by konrad911; 01-19-2024 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-19-2024, 07:59 PM
M3Porsche964
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Any others left over....no preference on color.
Old 01-19-2024, 08:02 PM
konrad911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3Porsche964
Any others left over....no preference on color.
Just as I mentioned above.

I have two sets (for two engines) for sale. Anodized in Black.

Please PM me for payment/shipment.
Old 01-19-2024, 08:20 PM
dleefsu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the current price and shipping to the US?
Old 01-19-2024, 08:24 PM
M3Porsche964
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

PM sent
Old 01-20-2024, 04:07 AM
konrad911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dleefsu
What's the current price and shipping to the US?
No change for pricing, not sure how it will look with the next batch.
Prices for the last two sets as follows:

PRICE: $449 for a set with standard mounting hardware (studs OR bolts).
Extra Hardware (studs AND bolts): $20
SHIPMENT: US $20 / UK $20 / Others - ask
Old 01-20-2024, 04:43 AM
uli1266
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dleefsu
Just curious if have any covers available, not concerned about color but still debating a little as I'm actually pretty bummed. I now have leaking covers and boxes (the shop showed me the leaks between the boxes and block as I really didn't believe it) but after spending $15k on a top end job and complete resealing as well as some other while at it things and that was just a few years ago, I'm very disheartened over all of it. It did appear the main leaks are the covers and from what I've read and would love feedback on is changing the covers seems fairly DIY friendly (I've changed the condenser, dropped the motor for the refresh...) but seems like changing the boxes is more than I'd want to get into. Is this valid and how crazy would I be to just put on new covers without dealing with the boxes now? Just an FYI is the shop that did the refresh I trust fully but just seems like he didn't want to propose new housings and covers at the time which is a little odd because we did the valve covers and even the oil pump just as a precaution which my gauge was reading a bit low but was still showed a bit low with the new pump, anyone need a pump?
If the cam housings are leaking, the change of the covers will obviously not cure the problem. Sealing them completely including the paper gasket on the backside is a bit of a hassle but DIYable without dropping the engine.

See this thread here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...t-o-rings.html

Regards
Uli
The following users liked this post:
dleefsu (01-20-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 05:39 AM
konrad911
Rennlist Member

I do agree. Doing the boxes to towers and to the case is doable, but will include using a lot of bad words during the process.

First you need to remove the boxes and get the surfaces flat as I mentioned above.
Then you need to assemble all with torque book at hand not to overtighten the boxes as they will leak again (people think if they torque more, leaking will stop - it’s the opposite).

And then you’re left with setting the timing or at least verifying the timing is right (as you need to remove the sprockets from the cams to remove the boxes).

Doing covers is peanuts, but boxes… I’d say you need the proper tools, skills and a spare weekend.
Old 01-20-2024, 05:46 AM
uli1266
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

If you work carefully and make sure the chains don‘t slip and are replaced at exactly the same position, the timing doesn‘t need to be reset. Worked fine for me.

P.S.: fully agree to the cursing as Konrad said 😊

Last edited by uli1266; 01-20-2024 at 05:47 AM.
Old 01-20-2024, 09:20 AM
dleefsu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all, I know it probably sounds bad to not set out to tackle all the leaks (box to case and box to cover) but the thought is if replacing the covers is much much easier (easy weekend job) than the boxes (3 weekends and lose skin, blood, sanity) that probably takes me from and of course just a guess, 10 drops a month to 1 or 2 and then wait for when have more time and patience, and maybe get a lift installed which also hinges on the time factor, then tackle the boxes. Is it really crazy thinking? To me it's probably the difference between breaking the big pan out that used to keep under the car and having to put it back under where a few drops is an easy wiping.

So Konrad and first, thanks for all your time on the covers and this thread... my car has fortunately been very trouble free for a long time now (knock on wood) so haven't been here much but it is such a great resource and drives me a bit crazy folks bringing tech questions into the FB groups, just pop over to rennlist... I contribute A LOT on construction forums which it's nice we can all share knowledge! So anyways, you made a comment that jumped out at me, if I'm doing this with motor in and not doing the boxes, is it really possible if the surfaces aren't flat to get them flat which of course is necessary with your and I would guess pretty much any cover? If there's a big concern about not being perfectly flat should I head in a different direction?
Old 01-20-2024, 09:42 AM
konrad911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dleefsu;[url=tel:19230154
19230154[/url]]Thanks all, I know it probably sounds bad to not set out to tackle all the leaks (box to case and box to cover) but the thought is if replacing the covers is much much easier (easy weekend job) than the boxes (3 weekends and lose skin, blood, sanity) that probably takes me from and of course just a guess, 10 drops a month to 1 or 2 and then wait for when have more time and patience, and maybe get a lift installed which also hinges on the time factor, then tackle the boxes. Is it really crazy thinking? To me it's probably the difference between breaking the big pan out that used to keep under the car and having to put it back under where a few drops is an easy wiping.

So Konrad and first, thanks for all your time on the covers and this thread... my car has fortunately been very trouble free for a long time now (knock on wood) so haven't been here much but it is such a great resource and drives me a bit crazy folks bringing tech questions into the FB groups, just pop over to rennlist... I contribute A LOT on construction forums which it's nice we can all share knowledge! So anyways, you made a comment that jumped out at me, if I'm doing this with motor in and not doing the boxes, is it really possible if the surfaces aren't flat to get them flat which of course is necessary with your and I would guess pretty much any cover? If there's a big concern about not being perfectly flat should I head in a different direction?
My covers won’t leak even if the box to cover surface isn’t perfectly flat. Period

That’s why they are re-engineered - to solve completely at least one point where sooner or later all our cars will leak.
The following users liked this post:
dleefsu (01-20-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 09:15 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by konrad911
Well I can only imagine this work seen below in pics has not been done on the boxes before mounting them to the case. And prior to that someone had used way to much torque on assembly time that resulted in non flat surface as seen in the pics below?

PS. I still have 2 sets of covers available from the last batch (anodised in black), so PM me if you need them.
Originally Posted by uli1266
If you work carefully and make sure the chains don‘t slip and are replaced at exactly the same position, the timing doesn‘t need to be reset. Worked fine for me.

P.S.: fully agree to the cursing as Konrad said 😊
Agree. I did this with the engine in the car. Took me a weekend going slow and documenting what I did. No more leaks. It is not as scary as it first sounds.
Old 01-23-2024, 05:59 AM
konrad911
Rennlist Member

UPDATE: One set left in Black Anodised finish from the last batch.
Old 01-29-2024, 08:25 AM
konrad911
Rennlist Member

This batch is sold out. Many thanks guys!
Old 03-05-2024, 02:38 PM
mallenbiker
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like I need to do this on my 993.

anyone else want to jump in so Konrad can make another batch?

Quick Reply: 964/993 Billet timing chain covers / re-engineered