Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964/993 Billet timing chain covers / re-engineered

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2023, 05:35 PM
konrad911
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts

Silver covers sold out. Still few sets in Black available.

I was asked to compare weight of the stock covers vs mine.

As you can see I’m slightly overweight compared to stock covers and hardware.

I did calculate though what would happen if titanium bolts were used. Guess what? My setup would be slightly lighter than OEM.

Keep in mind the billet aluminium is much denser than magnesium used for OEM covers and the design itself is also more rigid.

Old 10-25-2023, 04:48 AM
konrad911
Rennlist Member

As I had one forumer asking if the covers are anodized in blac or powder coated…

The answer is all of them are anodized and acid-something treated with the exception of the one and only set seen below, which was powder coated to match the rocker covers that were powder coated as well.

Powder coating is an option, but would be slightly more expensive as it requires more preparation so that the coating is only on the outside. Also covers get sand blasted to get more adhesion/grip for the coating (sorry for my english, not a native here, but hope you get it :-)).

Old 10-25-2023, 08:37 AM
konrad911
Rennlist Member

Few sets already on their way, I will send you guys PMs with tracking soon.
Old 10-26-2023, 06:11 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 126 Posts

Stoked, can't wait to get mine! Can finally address all the little seepage and get the engine back to being dry.
Old 10-30-2023, 02:25 PM
konrad911
Rennlist Member

Guys all sets except for one gent that decided to change colors are already on the way.
You have PM with tracking details for the packages in your inbox.

Attaching spy-video from the CNC shop where the covers are machined.

PS. 3 sets in black available, so please PM me if interested.

OEM - like silver matt finish

Anodised in Black
Attached Files

Last edited by konrad911; 10-30-2023 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-05-2023, 11:02 AM
konrad911
Rennlist Member

2 sets in Black left from this batch and counting.
Old 11-14-2023, 05:00 AM
konrad911
Rennlist Member

Guys I was checking tracking for the packages and most is already delivered, some with a note "Delivered, Front Desk/Reception/Mail Room" so if you don't have them already in your hands, please check with Front Desk/Reception/Mail Room :-)
These packages require signature on delivery, so If there was no-one to sign, a notice was left to pick up the package from the post office (one package has that status).

2 sets in black still available

​​​​​​​Thanks!
Old 11-14-2023, 09:30 AM
C Ward
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I received my set. They are beautiful and my Christmas season project is ready to launch!
Old 11-15-2023, 02:51 PM
konrad911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C Ward;[url=tel:19108310
19108310[/url]]I received my set. They are beautiful and my Christmas season project is ready to launch!
Glad to hear you like them :-)
Please post some photos when installed on the engine.
Old 11-15-2023, 03:08 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 126 Posts

Received my set as well, they look awesome! Can't wait to get these + Rennline valve covers and new gaskets installed and (hopefully) resolve the slight weeping.
Old 11-16-2023, 05:22 PM
konrad911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by forbiddenbeat;[url=tel:19110705
19110705[/url]]Received my set as well, they look awesome! Can't wait to get these + Rennline valve covers and new gaskets installed and (hopefully) resolve the slight weeping.
Thanks, it’s always motivating for doing something more when people like your works :-)

I have an idea for another version of the covers that I started figurung out in my head already.

Hope to have something in my hand to show in few weeks time.

And don’t be worried, these won’t be better / nicer than the ones you just bought ha ha. Just slightly different, and slightly more expensive - that I know already :-(

Stay tuned and thank you for supporting my project.

2 sets in black still available.
Old 11-20-2023, 08:51 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 160 Posts

Come on Konrad- do the chain boxes! Based on your experience thus far you'll sell a pile of them!

(just bugging you because I happen to need a set..... and a set of valve covers and.........)

Pete
Old 11-20-2023, 05:28 PM
konrad911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Peteinjp;[url=tel:19120856
19120856[/url]]Come on Konrad- do the chain boxes! Based on your experience thus far you'll sell a pile of them!

(just bugging you because I happen to need a set..... and a set of valve covers and.........)

Pete
Pete it’s not that much the matter of how much of these I’d sell, although this is nice, as my budget for my Carrera 3.2 bottom up restoration grows slightly with each sale to the forumers. There are few things more, one of them is you’re a second person that asks for these, if we double it it’s 4 sets haha. Would love to see them on dozens of engines, but reality is that for most my covers solve most of the old boxes issues ;-) And you can buy new OEM boxes too!

To conclude - Yes I could do them, but there are some buts.

1. This takes time, and my is kind of limited (full time job in IT, family (1yo and 5yo sons), works on cars I promissed (attaching a sample photo, as you can imagine it takes quite a lot of time to pay attention do details and modifications). Then there are my cars to take care of, and unfortunately none is a 964/993. This brings me to point 2.
2. I don’t have any 993 engine at hand and the 964 engine (993 preferred, as the 993 boxes are backward compatible with 964) that I’m currently finishing is not gonna help either.
3. Someone was mentioning there was a Company to develop these within few months - maybe we need to check this, maybe these are already there?
4. Price - talked to my CNC shop and it seems the cost for a pair will be like up to $2k for a finished product. This is much more complicated than covers (which are CNC machined for quite few hours already).
5. improvements - there are areas to improve over factory ones. But that would need some testing in a real car for some time (as with the covers).

I’m not saying no, just saying if…, this would take time and I’d need some help (i.e. sourcing OEM 993 boxes for blueprinting), maybe smn to test these in his engine willing to take the risk?

Old 12-18-2023, 04:34 PM
konrad911
Rennlist Member

Well for those interested if I have finished my developments… a spy photo and video:

https://www.bearsgarage.pl/wp-conten...8de16c11a9.mp4

Going super-light. Stay tuned :-)
Old 01-19-2024, 06:58 PM
dleefsu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious if have any covers available, not concerned about color but still debating a little as I'm actually pretty bummed. I now have leaking covers and boxes (the shop showed me the leaks between the boxes and block as I really didn't believe it) but after spending $15k on a top end job and complete resealing as well as some other while at it things and that was just a few years ago, I'm very disheartened over all of it. It did appear the main leaks are the covers and from what I've read and would love feedback on is changing the covers seems fairly DIY friendly (I've changed the condenser, dropped the motor for the refresh...) but seems like changing the boxes is more than I'd want to get into. Is this valid and how crazy would I be to just put on new covers without dealing with the boxes now? Just an FYI is the shop that did the refresh I trust fully but just seems like he didn't want to propose new housings and covers at the time which is a little odd because we did the valve covers and even the oil pump just as a precaution which my gauge was reading a bit low but was still showed a bit low with the new pump, anyone need a pump?

Quick Reply: 964/993 Billet timing chain covers / re-engineered