Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To slick top or not to slick top that is the ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 09:09 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,242 Posts

^^^ I'll keep an eye on the progress for you.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:51 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So the car is up at Pino's and I had a chance to look over 2swoosh's Cup car. I miss the days of seeing multiples of these at the track. I might be mistaken but I believe I knew his car many eons ago. Such a purpose built car and the slick top just looks so right. The window rust is amazingly small almost a shame it had to be addressed so it looks like it will be an easy fix for him.

So my engine is leak free. No signs of oil ever but the clutch started slipping. To my chagrin it wasn't the clutch but the trans seal was leaking and apparently for a long time. Nothing ever leaked out the bottom but clearly this didn't happen overnight. What a mess and a chore to clean. The crud was like cement and took many cleanings.

So I will be replacing the seal and while I am at it rebuilding the LSD which has worn plates at 62k miles. Everything looks great on the engine but the power steering pump appears to have started to leak and there are slight signs of oil in the area so I will be investigating that. Valve lash will be performed and everything will be checked over and rebuilt or replaced as needed. All hardware is going out for plating as well. I don't want ot go through this until the next valve lash in a decade at the rate I drive lately. Seem to work on them more than drive them as of late but glad I don't have to pay the labor rates to do this work.

So I want to point out that although these cars can be in excellent low mile condition and show no signs of issues there is always something lurking. Best to address everything early before it becomes a bigger issue. I just happened upon this and could have gone much longer without realizing there was an issue. I also found a vacuum line that had stress cracks in the rubber which I will replace. Surprisingly all other rubber bits look to be in perfect condition including the fuel lines which I was planning to replace, The car has always been garage kept so I am going to stay with the original fuel lines since they are soft and pliable as if they were new. Although I will replacing the valve and timing chain cover seals and pulling the intake to inspect everything since i have the engine out anyhow.

Before I dropped the engine. BTW fan will be repainted in its original zermatt silver. Also all the unnecessary hangers for the lower engine cover will be removed. Considering removing the cruise control as well but it isn't enough weight savings so I will ponder it for now.

The engine as removed.

The following users liked this post:
911Jetta (04-16-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 09:40 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Quick update. I stripped and tested the engine yesterday. Leak down tests showed a solid 4-6% . Sadly it is in great shape and I won't have an excuse to strip it down and do ITB's for now. LOL

Surprising what great condition everything is in. Some minor oil blow back needing cleaning and my valve stem seals need replacing exhaust side but will do all while I am at it but very sound after nearly 30 years. I have one cracking vacuum line although still in good condition I will replace.

I have done a number of 964/993 engine refresh and rebuilds this past year+ and most have 100k miles needing all sorts of help. I am not sure why mine is in such good condition possibly being garaged most of its life in a climate controlled environment has a lot to do with it but I found it interesting.

I took the entire intake apart and other than a thin film of oil internally it was in excellent condition. Wish there was a sound way to paint plastic as these intakes are just so bland looking. All the bits will be sent out for yellow cad plating after running through the tumbler.

Pretty clean before I started to disassemble.

So instead of starting a new thread I will continue here. Car is at Pino's and he has already started on it so no turning back now.

I always get intrigued by some of the changes I see when disassembling these things. The last few engines I took apart had cap screws holding the pulley to the fan including my turbo yet this engine has allen screws with nuts. Must be the last engine being a Tip but not sure why the turbo and tips got cap screws vs locking nuts?

Old 04-19-2020, 10:28 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Actually as you know I've been looking into Cerakote and I did see instructions for prepping plastics for coating. Degreasing, light sandblast with 100 grit, low temp bake, paint , bake again.

Seemed like pretty resilient stuff too.

Pete
Old 04-20-2020, 08:56 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Peteinjp
Actually as you know I've been looking into Cerakote and I did see instructions for prepping plastics for coating. Degreasing, light sandblast with 100 grit, low temp bake, paint , bake again.

Seemed like pretty resilient stuff too.

Pete

Thanks Pete

I have a local guy who will be doing my engine fan housing I will discuss it with him.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:00 AM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 247 Posts

There is an air cure no-bake cerakote as well. Can do at home or send out. Wasn't aware it sticks to plastic, interesting to know.
Old 04-20-2020, 01:17 PM
911ren20
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Oh man... I was going to ask you not to do it. but cant wait to see the results. Can't wait to visit you guys when the lockdown blows over.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:20 PM
stutt911
Banned

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Always entertaining reading up on your projects. Thanks for posting
Old 04-26-2020, 01:05 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

^^^ thx

I know this is a different approach from my norm but the pandemic made me do it. Sorry

So the car is under way and the top should be off by this week.

I took the engine down as far as I could to inspect and clean and to my surprise was in excellent condition although while I am at it I will be replacing all the seals if needed or not and having all the hardware yellow cad plated. New plugs, caps rotors wires etc and I am considering breaking down and doing the fuel lines although they appear to be in perfect condition. The clutch was slipping from the oil and damaged the flywheel but instead of reconditioning it will get a new LWF and springed RS clutch disk but the pressure plate is in good condition and will reuse that. I am installing 993 intakes which will raise the injectors by 4mm and will direct the fuel over the valves for better cooling. When engine goes back in it will be dyno tuned and will be burning our own chip.

I have a bunch of parts from the track build I will be using as well. I have the 993 uprights which I will swap out along with the 993 tie rods after I just swapped out the stock ones for RS style so those will be going soon. i now have two sets of parts from Sunroofs since i deleted the one on my track car so if anyone is in need let me know. Then Pino had to push me off the deep end and handed me two very nice (nicest I have seen) plastic RS door cards and offered to upholster them if I get the material. I have vinyl from my track build I might use or see what else is out there. So I will be gutting the interior while he is working on it and doing a full RS interior possible a seam weld but that might be more work than worth on this car. It will remain a street only car. The engine tins and fan are getting painted and I decided not to go crazy on this stuff. I have a vram intake but for now will stick with mostly stock and just a tune and see what we get. I was never a fan of the tan interior so the black RS door cards and carpet will be better and it will be very hard to tell it isn't an RSA when I am done. Although will not badge it as one despite having an America emblem and all the RSA bits except the seats. I even have the factory seat belt register covers for the back. Since i am losing the rear speakers I am considering a radio delete. I rarely if ever use it so the car will only have A/C and LSD as options although this will be discussed later depending on what I chose to do. The factory LSD is past due for a rebuild. The car already has big brakes, RS style bars and is getting an MCS 2WNC suspension. Rear wiper delete is happening as well with factory glass.

This is the engine at 62k miles including track miles from years ago. 4-6 % leak down and clean.

911Jetta (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 12:02 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
...So I will be gutting the interior while he is working on it and doing a full RS interior possible a seam weld but that might be more work than worth on this car. It will remain a street only car.

....Since i am losing the rear speakers I am considering a radio delete. I rarely if ever use it so the car will only have A/C and LSD as options although this will be discussed later depending on what I chose to do.
Sweet, RS interior.
Sun roof delete, rear wiper delete... radio delete.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:33 PM
911ren20
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

if you are doing radio delete. let me know if you want one of these delete plates. I've made a few of them. I will bring one to Pino when I visit next time.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aGAcQfU6VKheiKqH7

Last edited by 911ren20; 04-27-2020 at 02:38 PM.
AKB991 (04-28-2021)
Old 04-27-2020, 10:27 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 237 Posts

That's a very nice looking delete plate
Old 04-27-2020, 10:38 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Anthony,
Great Project ! I fell like I'm there turning a wrench with you.
Very cool
Elliot
Old 04-27-2020, 11:02 PM
EDoyle
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I have gone a similar route inside with radio delete. It is not too bad of a commitment considering the abundance of decent small bluetooth speakers that exist should you want to hear some tunes again one day. I have deleted radio/speakers with rs carpet and door panels and made a bracket to hold speaker just offset under the dash. Subtle, functional, light.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:50 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the encouragement everyone this is a huge departure from what I would normally have done. I wanted to find another car for a 3.8RS tribute for the street but that will have to wait for now. I also decided to delete the cruise control another thing I don't use. Now onto what carpet kit and by whom and any special extras for the interior but I am not interested in going crazy more simple and clean. I will continue to use the sportster CS seats. I wish there was a strap and seat belt color that would work but black is all that I think will go with the amazon exterior.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Originally Posted by 911ren20
if you are doing radio delete. let me know if you want one of these delete plates. I've made a few of them. I will bring one to Pino when I visit next time.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aGAcQfU6VKheiKqH7
Which leads me to this. I would definitely be interested and let me know what I owe you. No rush though I was just informed by the plater that they are swamped and he can't get me my hardware back for another 2-3 weeks. I think Pino might be done by then LOL.

Originally Posted by Turbohead
Anthony,
Great Project ! I fell like I'm there turning a wrench with you.
Very cool
Elliot
Elliot it has been too long after this virus crap is over we are grabbing lunch I think it has been 10 years or more since the last one, LOL

Originally Posted by EDoyle
I have gone a similar route inside with radio delete. It is not too bad of a commitment considering the abundance of decent small bluetooth speakers that exist should you want to hear some tunes again one day. I have deleted radio/speakers with rs carpet and door panels and made a bracket to hold speaker just offset under the dash. Subtle, functional, light.
Not a bad idea. My exhaust is pretty loud. More so from the outside but it doesn't drone at all. So if I have the radio on which is almost never, it isn't hi fidelity anyhow.

Quick Reply: To slick top or not to slick top that is the ??