Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To slick top or not to slick top that is the ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 11:49 AM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Well it has been a year since I started this project. These things never go according to the plans. I have dragged my feet on it but we are finally at the home stretch. Pino's guy is prepping the car for sealer and primer. Hopefully another day or two and I will have significant progress on that front.

I hope to have the car home in a few weeks then the interior and headliner will be started.

I'm glad that this project is getting finished up for you. It looks great! I have some windshield bubbling/rust and I was thinking of just gong for it and doing this or the fenn lane panel that i have sitting in my garage with the headliner. I know you have done both a full roof here and the fenn lane panel on your track build - what do you think about the end result compared to each and the amount of work/costs involved? We met at Pinos for a PCA event back in September of 19'; I had the Red 964 C2 and bought your DM flywheel - my cars been laid up getting a total mechanical overhaul/refresh since last June with ButziGear in CT so I can understand the mission creep and delays your experiencing.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:08 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,299 Posts

Originally Posted by delanobe
Maybe something like this?
That is nice. I have a set of black Sportser CS's in the car I was hoping to not touch them but it seems changing the seat color is one option that might work better than trying other accents or deviating carpet.

Originally Posted by Brig993
I'm glad that this project is getting finished up for you. It looks great! I have some windshield bubbling/rust and I was thinking of just gong for it and doing this or the fenn lane panel that i have sitting in my garage with the headliner. I know you have done both a full roof here and the fenn lane panel on your track build - what do you think about the end result compared to each and the amount of work/costs involved? We met at Pinos for a PCA event back in September of 19'; I had the Red 964 C2 and bought your DM flywheel - my cars been laid up getting a total mechanical overhaul/refresh since last June with ButziGear in CT so I can understand the mission creep and delays your experiencing.
Yes, how are you and your father doing? That seems like just yesterday.

I would have been done with this a long time ago but I got sidetracked with my track engine build and Covid didn't help. In all honesty we took the opportunity to do this and learned an awful lot about the do's and don'ts. If I did it this way again we would do it slightly differently with less work involved. If the fenn lane panel is welded in as we did on my track car it is IMO just as good as replacing the roof skin. The work involved to do what we did was monumental especially when not using any filler. I have seen others done that are just slopped with filler or the rain gutter is all wavy and not right. My fingertips have become a calibrated gage LOL. I can feel how it should be by just touching them now. If you decide to do it I would consider the fenn lane panel. I plan to build an RSR street clone when I am done with these two projects and in that build I will use the fenn lane panel as the work involved with doing it this way is just too costly in hours alone.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:21 AM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

That is nice. I have a set of black Sportser CS's in the car I was hoping to not touch them but it seems changing the seat color is one option that might work better than trying other accents or deviating carpet.

Yes, how are you and your father doing? That seems like just yesterday.

I would have been done with this a long time ago but I got sidetracked with my track engine build and Covid didn't help. In all honesty we took the opportunity to do this and learned an awful lot about the do's and don'ts. If I did it this way again we would do it slightly differently with less work involved. If the fenn lane panel is welded in as we did on my track car it is IMO just as good as replacing the roof skin. The work involved to do what we did was monumental especially when not using any filler. I have seen others done that are just slopped with filler or the rain gutter is all wavy and not right. My fingertips have become a calibrated gage LOL. I can feel how it should be by just touching them now. If you decide to do it I would consider the fenn lane panel. I plan to build an RSR street clone when I am done with these two projects and in that build I will use the fenn lane panel as the work involved with doing it this way is just too costly in hours alone.
It does it was a different world then! We are well and thank you for asking about my dad he sends his regards. I cannot wait to get my 964 back on the road but a similar story of life and covid delays slowing down the project. Glad to have the 993s in the garage to drive and work on in the meanwhile.

Good to know and thank you for the feedback on the sunroof delete. Maybe this time I will reach out to Pino when I’m ready - I know he’s one of the best.

I saw in the other thread someone mentioned a ride in NW NJ with the CT guys from butzigear and PA guys from outside philly. We have a small group from Staten Island/Brooklyn and Central NJ we should try to organize a RL meet up in May/June where we can all get together and head out for a ride to enjoy our cars and/or do some outdoor dining.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:36 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 247 Posts
Default get together

It does it was a different world then! We are well and thank you for asking about my dad he sends his regards. I cannot wait to get my 964 back on the road but a similar story of life and covid delays slowing down the project. Glad to have the 993s in the garage to drive and work on in the meanwhile.

Good to know and thank you for the feedback on the sunroof delete. Maybe this time I will reach out to Pino when I’m ready - I know he’s one of the best.

I saw in the other thread someone mentioned a ride in NW NJ with the CT guys from butzigear and PA guys from outside philly. We have a small group from Staten Island/Brooklyn and Central NJ we should try to organize a RL meet up in May/June where we can all get together and head out for a ride to enjoy our cars and/or do some outdoor dining.
Great idea!
Old 04-09-2021, 12:34 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2swoosh
Great idea!
PM me your email - I have a list of RL/pcar people. I'll reach out to everyone and try to make something work.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:42 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Default get together

PM me your email - I have a list of RL/pcar people. I'll reach out to everyone and try to make something work.
Done, t y
Old 04-10-2021, 09:34 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Sounds good let me know.

Meanwhile I am helping organize a classic car event at Paul Miller Porsche on June 6. We are looking for classic pre 04 cars to display. It will be preregistration only and participants will get some nice goody bags. Hope we will see one of your cars and maybe 2swoosh as well. ???
Old 04-10-2021, 09:53 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Default June 6

Sounds good let me know.

Meanwhile I am helping organize a classic car event at Paul Miller Porsche on June 6. We are looking for classic pre 04 cars to display. It will be preregistration only and participants will get some nice goody bags. Hope we will see one of your cars and maybe 2swoosh as well. ???
I'm ready just lmk via text message, gracias
Old 04-10-2021, 10:45 AM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Sounds good let me know.

Sounds great! Keep me updated - it’s a Sunday so I think I can make it with my dad.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:04 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So I headed up to RSR yesterday figuring we would be prepping the car for paint. It has been too long but as usual we added more to the project. After taking the time to carefully remove the outer layers of paint we deiced just to take it down to bare metal and start fresh.

So out came the DA again and many more hours of cleaning panels. It is interesting as I expected the 964 panels to be better than the earlier cars but they show the same high and low spots we find on the long nose cars. The low spots seem to be about .001-.002". Doesn't seem like much but now we know why they needed the 26 stage paint process and why I see some cars with original paint and some areas that can read higher than your average car.

This is where a bare metal respray gets expensive and why you see most shops lather the car with a thin coat of filler to smooth things out. IMO I prefer to fix things at the root cause and spent the time to make the panels smooth as they can be prior to primer. I finished with 80 grit which is quite harsh but will give the primer a surface to bond to. These panels will be better than factory when we are done. 🤞 If all goes to plan she goes in for primer later today. Still need to remove the paint around the rear window and engine surround prior to tape and primer.

While there, Pino was working on the hood to the 912 prototype. Typical, project that morphed into a full restoration. It is interesting to see how they did things back in the 60's, taking the time to hand braze the corners of the panels which is why these cars can hold up so well for so long despite lack of galvanization.

The following 3 users liked this post by cobalt:
Brig993 (04-15-2021), Finlander (06-19-2021), Spokes (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 08:50 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

It is always something this time it is rust. What an ugly word and on a car that showed no signs of it. While I was cleaning all the critical areas by hand and removing any trace of old adhesive or paint I found this. Lower left corner of the rear window.

I know it doesn't look like much but this needs to be addressed before we can proceed. Despite no damage to the paint, we can only speculate it is rusting from below. Possibly water making its way down the sunroof drain lines (now gone) and building up inside. The other possibility is an improper repair when the rear quarter panels were painted. Although this has to have been done prior to my ownership so sometime prior to 2007. It is odd and unexpected but we will need to grind this out and repair the area. We will tell more once we grind through and see if it gets better or worse. Once that is done we will go in with a long tool that will spray the entire inside of both rear pillars with a sealer to prevent any future rust from occurring.

Just another setback I will get this fixed and then onto the prep work. This is the most critical aspect of painting a car. Making sure all the mess we created is cleaned so no dust gets blown around when hit with the spray gun and the metal surface is properly cleaned prior to primer. This is where many shops cut corners and the end result may look good but the difference in how it is prepped will determine how long the paint will last and stay looking as it does when it leaves the booth. That initial bond is critical and I don't want to rush this portion so with all the work backed up by my car holding things up I think it won't be until next week before we lay down the primer. Oh well back to the Blue Meanie project I guess.

While sanding away yesterday it dawned on me that I got involved with Porsche's nearly 45 years ago restoring a 71 911E. Boy was that a rust bucket in comparison and it was only 6 or 7 years old when we picked it up and started the restoration. I fell in love with the simplicity of the design then discovered how much fun the were to drive. So I started with the mechanicals and paint work then spent countless thousands of miles driving them from the autobahn to the race track and now I am back doing what I started with them after all these years. I really enjoy every aspect of these cars from the paint to mechanicals to driving them. I think I need to take some time off from working on them and spend more time driving them this weekend. The turbo needs some leg stretching and spring is nearly here despite being 38 degrees this AM.

Last edited by cobalt; 04-16-2021 at 08:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Brig993 (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 08:57 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Although I am addicted to the 964's I always have an admiration for any 911 or vintage Porsche and the early ones sometimes just look so good. This stunning 912 targa stopped by for a visit. Amazing car with a red interior that just works so well together with the silver paint.

Old 04-20-2021, 05:28 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So it is finally going in for the primer. Been disinfected and cleaned. LOL

Finally starting to see the light.

Primer, block sand and then we will go over the entire car for any imperfections and touch up what we find.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:18 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Finally making progress.

Apparently I haven't lost my touch and my feathering came out better than I realized despite being out of practice.

We will let it sit till Friday and then block sand.

BTW You can see some of the shoddy work done by some reputable shops in the lower right hand corner of the last picture.

Even better is this was someones Idea of how to repair a rotten early fender. The amount of welding rod used probably cost more than a new fender and added a ton of weight.

You can't make this stuff up.

Old 04-26-2021, 09:30 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

There is still a bit of fine tuning to be done. The primer shows everything.

We will be working on the final touches before paint. I removed my door handles and mirrors for paint work and new seals and should have this ready for final paint soon. Still lots of sanding and time.

All this work for this. I hope it was worth it.

Quick Reply: To slick top or not to slick top that is the ??