Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To slick top or not to slick top that is the ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 09:32 AM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Anthony,
That thing's too pretty to drive! Sorry to hear about your supply issues but we're all living that life now
Don't get too discouraged 964 world needs you brother!
Old 01-24-2022, 10:28 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,959 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Jacobs
Anthony,
That thing's too pretty to drive! Sorry to hear about your supply issues but we're all living that life now
Don't get too discouraged 964 world needs you brother!
@Dan Jacobs I appreciate it. Especially coming from the guy who built my **** box. It might be cosmetically challenged but is one of the more fun 964's I have driven. My friend Pino agrees and said he knows me too well and it would become a concours car no matter how much I denied it would turn into one. My wife now wants to show it at Parade. Just my luck I might not only be competing against some serious cars I know will be attending but competing against myself as well. LOL

I will be mating the engine to the car tonight after spending 5 hours looking for the clutch fork yesterday. I found 2 but both were worn. As usual it ended up hiding in the first place I looked.

You know when I purchased these transmissions you could barely give them away now some are worth more than I paid for this car back in 05 combined they are worth a fairly nice C2. Crazy how a few years ago people would have laughed at me for saying that.

G50/05 going back into the C2 up front the 6 speed behind it is essentially a G50/30 and the G50/03 and 6 speed in the back. All butt he 6 speed are LSD transaxles. There is a non serialized engine case machined for big bore cylinders wrapped up as well. Crazy that what was a few grand investment back then is now worth more than some new cars.

MCS was a bitch to get right. The plan was to install 993 std uprights but decided to do that later. The MCS is setup for later 12/14mm bolts so I had to drill out the cast iron uprights for now. I think just doing the 993 parts would have been less work. New wheel liner installed in the back.

Everything torqued and set to go. New flywheel and clutch. The old ones were ok but decided to make everything as new as I can.

The illusive clutch fork found hiding in a tender spring box with other missing parts. Installing new bearings bushings etc. Considering it has 60k miles it shows little wear compared to the others. Interesting of the 3 all have the same part number and all are different based on date code.

Fingers crossed engine will be in tonight and I can start making all the connections. That just leaves the front and rear windshield, side quarter windows, dash and rear shelf. If the snow would just melt and winter be done I will be all set.

Next after the track engine is my sons cayman. He is killing me it is a gorgeous car and wants me to cut it and add an ECS front GT4 bumper and GT4 rear wing. I love chopping up perfectly good cars apparently. I may never have time to get that 944 finished I might need to sell it as is. A very early 83 all original paint but rough. White over black which seems to be rare. With pristine 944 turbos selling for 6 figures I am not sure what to do with it.

Last edited by cobalt; 01-24-2022 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:05 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So delays as always. For some reason I never checked the part number on the throw out bearing and got the wrong one. Glad I realized it before trying to mate the trans to the engine. New bearing should be here tomorrow and off comes the pressure plate again and install of the new RS bearing for the LWF. If you didn't know this the bearings are different.

The manual specifies it this way.

Meanwhile I picked up a bunch of parts and have this swans neck and tip from. Fuchs company Germany. It was a bit tired so I blasted it and it came out fine. I think I will use this as part of my exhaust. I like the satin finish but might take it further.

Old 01-31-2022, 11:11 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Happy days are here again.

It only took forever but my engine is finally in the C2. Some friends stopped by to help me out. It can be done by one person carefully but having some extra hands is a huge +. It also is nice to sit and chat and share a bourbon in the celebration of it being installed.

After fixing my mistake on the RS throw out bearing the new 944 p/n was sourced and installed. Not an easy one person job but after some 4 letter words was completed.

Stock Dual mass TOB on left and RS style TOB on right.

I replaced the fuel filter. Resealed the power steering reservoir. I tired some plastic glue that I had from the 70's for lucite which seemed to work but added a little oil resistant silicone just in case.

New fuel filter and fixed reservoir installed.

New HD RS style engine mounts.

the HF lift table has seen better days so it did make for more work than usual. But after some pushing and tugging it is in. I also installed RS stiff rubber engine mounts. I don't see the need for all the solid stuff for street use so I am going HD all the way instead of monoball and metal on metal.

Lesson learned never have cardboard under the table when using one. I never did this before but got lazy and it cost me time.

Slowly working it into place.

Installed yeah!!!!!!

MCS needs to be adjusted lower but needs to settle out.

This week I will be making all the connections and hopefully she will be up and running soon.

The new glass is due n this Wednesday and my bumper should be painted so I am nearing completion in time for spring. Hopefully the Groundhog will see its shadow.

The following users liked this post:
spooky69 (02-01-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 11:52 AM
dmaddox
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 96 Posts

Awesome! I love the writing style and updates. What rotors, if you don't mind me asking? I am looking to replace/upgrade the rotors on my C2 and am researching options. Keep up the great work!
Old 01-31-2022, 12:05 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dmaddox
Awesome! I love the writing style and updates. What rotors, if you don't mind me asking? I am looking to replace/upgrade the rotors on my C2 and am researching options. Keep up the great work!

Thanks,

I never know how I come across. Just happy to share and hopefully help others.

The rotors are factory 951/968 M030 or RoW RS rears. I believe this is the correct p/n

Rear end definitely needs some lowering. I can drop it below RS with this setup but I find it a bit extreme for street use.

Last edited by cobalt; 01-31-2022 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-01-2022, 08:39 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 205 Posts

Saw this in person last week the paint job is impeccable! I suggest you do a PPF on high impact areas with street driving in mind
Old 02-01-2022, 09:12 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2swoosh
Saw this in person last week the paint job is impeccable! I suggest you do a PPF on high impact areas with street driving in mind

Always a pleasure. Yes It is on the long list of many things to do. After all this work it would be a shame to chip it up. Heck it has been long enough waiting period except for the front bumper which I am hoping I can pick up this week with the new windshield. I went with the turbo green tint since the regular ones are still a month out. My goal is to get the engine up and running soon. I made some changes so I might need a new chip. There is still a lot of work to do. Installing A/C back in the car since I no longer have a sunroof. It is much easier to do now before everything goes back in. I used to be much quicker at these projects. Maybe I am getting old or just more careful. I'll go with more careful.

BTW great find and next time we will go back to the other deli.

Reminder for those attending Parade, phase 1 is open Feb 2 at noon. I don't think the C2 will attend. I plan to dirty it up long before Parade.

Local NNJR members this is our 65th year so expect some fun events. We are kicking it off on the 65th day of the year a little C&C being held at Englewood Porsche's service dept if weather permits. Hope to see local PCA Air-cooled owners there. Arrangements are made, food truck and lots of parking.

Old 02-05-2022, 12:26 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Adding to the fun. Parts slowly trickling in.

FInally received the proper front windshield. I went with the green tint. I think it looks better on the car and my research shows it is actually better at reflecting UV so will be easier on the A/C if I ever use it. Still need Pino to have some free time to help me install it. Funny I started this when he was dead slow just as Covid hit. Now he is the most needed person I know.

Front bumper license plate holes filled and bumper painted but most importantly the Tech Art ducts are done and ready for install.

The following users liked this post:
spooky69 (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 02:47 PM
dmaddox
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 96 Posts

Looks great - that tinted glass really compliments the paint, and vice versa - win!
Old 02-10-2022, 01:06 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I am getting so close I can almost smell the exhaust. Still a lot of work and getting old makes it far more difficult to do the 2 person jobs by myself. I am almost at the point that the only thing left to do is have the windows installed and wheels aligned. I will do a brake/clutch flush and all fluids will be new. I still have to install the drive axles but waiting on an M8 x85mm bolt holding me up.

So I reinstalled my A/C after 12 years which was a bigger PITA than I thought it would be. I should have installed the lines and compressor before the engine install. Just another one of those things that adds more work but it is done. Everything top and bottom side is completed. I installed the full exhaust using the new Fuchs swans neck and tail pipe I recently picked up. I want to run the engine and test it before I install the rear bumper. A/C belt and charge will come later as well.

🤞 I will have most everything done in the upcoming weeks and Spring seems to be on its way.🤞

Everything buttoned up

I have to admit for a 15 year old muffler it is in better condition than any big name exhausts I can think of. Too bad Magnaflow doesn't make things like they used to. Still one of the best 964 sounds I know of.

The Fuchs swans neck. Nice piece. I had to weld some damage but looks like new.

Can't wait to get back out on the road. I figure it should be done by the end of the month.🤞

I wanted to add that the Blue Meanie project is slowly inching along. I need to update that thread. The coil packs did not work out. The clearance between the top of the pack and turbo were just too tight. Hopefully this works but will be tight. Used 12 marine grade (essentially the AEM units) coils and silicone wires for heat resistance plus insulation wrapping. I will see about a heat shield as well.

Last edited by cobalt; 02-10-2022 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-14-2022, 11:28 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Nothing major just passing time while waiting on parts.

I installed the rear trim after refurbishing it for the rear 1/4 windows. Something most forget and don't do is save and reinstall the spacers and use the sealing tape to keep water from sitting under it. This is something I rarely see done and results in rust later on.

These spacers are key to getting the right fit and controlling wind noise. The little screws are your freinds so clean the heads properly before installing otherwise they will strip and you will not be happy. FInding replacements isn't easy.

Same sealing tape used to keep moisture from the front fenders.

I installed it over the spacers I prefer to have it fill and keep the holes free from any water.

Finished and installed. I can't replace the rear 1/4 window until the replacement rear window is installed.

Said goodbye to the CUp car today. It was nice having it here while it lasted. If I just had the extra coin.

What a beautiful sunrise but each morning it is different and always inspiring. I am hoping spring will come soon.

Also on another front the 944 is on hold but we had such beautiful weather I gave it a bath. This is turning out to be a great barn find. I thought someone burned through the paint but after metering it I see nothing but 4.5's to 6's and no signs of paintwork so I tried cleaning what I thought was damage from people over buffing. It ended up being nothing. Amazing how well the paint held up after 40 years.

I thought his was damage but just ground in dirt or stain.

Give me a couple of days and this will look like a new car.

Old 02-24-2022, 09:49 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So although I see most everyone has seen Pino's post on instagram, I can finally say my windows are in. I could have done it myself but he insisted he wanted to be present. He later confessed that he was worried how things lined up and wanted to be sure everything was correct. I appreciate the concern but it was spot on as we expected. Now I can proceed with finishing this project and having a street 911 to drive. It is finally looking like car again.

I still have some work to complete as I go further and further down the rabbit hole. Parts are off getting yellow cad plated and I have a small part I am waiting for to install the front bumper but I can work on finishing the interior now which is a nice relaxing job. I replaced all fluids. The clutch pedal had been depressed at some point evacuating the system so I had a lot of air to remove. The pedal is still a little soft so it will be a 2 person job or replacement of the slave. I guess we will see.

So I was hoping to be further along by now and no doubt when it rains it pours. the 29th of February is my 30th wedding anniversary. Nothing official this year but I have to spend some quality time with my wife. Heck she put up with me for this long heaven help her. So I will be mostly silent this weekend and no car talk or work. When I am back the engine will be going into the Blue meanie soon and I now have multiple projects all coming to a close at the same time. I feel like I am back at work. These next few weeks will be interesting.

I am so happy I decided to go with the green tint it really works well with the color and should help in the heat.

So I have come to the conclusion I have an issue. I have been sorting through parts and I have so many I didn't even realize I had. I literally could build another car if I just had a tub.

This is ridiculous this is just my selection of front side front wheel liners. This doesn't include the others I have equal of and the WB liners I have spares of.

BTW I am curious what your liners look like? I have multiple all dated 1993 but are made differently. Some are riveted together and others molded from a single piece. All factory but the markings in different locations.

Anyone see these differences before?

So I have decided I have two options either start selling off some of these parts or find another tub and build another car.

So I decided to buy a stripped out tub which will be a major undertaking one day but I like a good challenge.

Call me crazy!!!

Ex club racer tub. Pretty clean and fully cleaned out. I have nearly every part needed to build another if I use electric A/C. Cage will be removed then onto a cellette to check for any issues then off to either dry ice (need to locate someone) or media blasting down to bare metal. It will be a full seam weld this time.

BTW a very nice design to the cage but the welds were awful and they didn't weld where they couldn't reach. Normally you would drill into the tub drop the cage into the tube weld behind and then lift and weld the base plate. Thankfully they didn't do it that way so I shouldn't have any issues with the tub. I can't help but think what would have happened if someone got hit hard with a cage welded this way?

Last edited by cobalt; 02-24-2022 at 09:56 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by cobalt:
Brig993 (02-24-2022), Metal Guru (02-24-2022), spooky69 (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 11:53 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 205 Posts

Happy 30th man and many more to come!
Old 02-25-2022, 12:47 AM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 130 Posts

Happy 30th Anthony! Maybe you can’t get your hands dirty but it’s always good to have some away time to think things through

By the way how do happen find so much cool stuff…

Quick Reply: To slick top or not to slick top that is the ??